Try Process AI free
How to create a visual task board in servicenow.
ServiceNow’s visual task board can revolutionize how you and your team manage tasks and projects. Its intuitive interface and powerful features let you organize tasks in an efficient, visually appealing way.
ServiceNow’s board gives a comprehensive overview of all the tasks. You can categorize them by priority, status, or any criteria you prefer. This lets you quickly spot bottlenecks or areas needing attention. Just one glance and everyone can understand progress and take action.
You can customize the task board to your preferences. Color code tasks according to urgency, or designate columns for certain stages of completion. This streamlines workflows, so every team member knows what to focus on.
To optimize your experience, consider these suggestions:
- Use the task board regularly. Update statuses and move tasks regularly. This promotes transparency, increases accountability, and creates a sense of purpose.
- Leverage ServiceNow’s collaboration features by enabling notifications and assigning tasks directly through the platform. This eliminates confusion from multiple communication channels and ensures everyone is on the same page.
- Periodically review the task board to identify any patterns or areas for improvement. This helps refine processes and allocate resources better, improving productivity and efficiency.
Understanding the Concept of a Visual Task Board
A visual task board is a great tool for teams. It gives a clear view of each task’s progress and helps the team easily spot their priorities. The board breaks tasks into categories like “To Do,” “In Progress,” and “Completed” . This makes workflow simpler, increases productivity, and helps team members collaborate.
By using cards or sticky notes, teams can see the state of their projects at a glance. As tasks move across the board, everyone can stay up to date without long meetings or emails.
Plus, the board can show the project timeline. Info like due dates and bottlenecks is easy to spot. This helps teams make decisions about resources and priorities.
When setting up a visual task board in ServiceNow, customize it to your team’s needs. Add more columns or labels for tasks. That way, your board will fit your workflow and make your team even more productive.
Setting Up the Visual Task Board in ServiceNow
Set up a visual task board in ServiceNow for optimized workflow management! Follow these four simple steps to streamline your task tracking process and boost team collaboration.
- Step 1: Define the Board – Create a new board in ServiceNow and set its purpose, like project management or issue tracking. Don’t forget to assign the appropriate permissions to team members.
- Step 2: Configure Columns – Customize the columns to match the stages of your workflow. Popular choices include “To Do,” “In Progress,” and “Done.”
- Step 3: Create Cards – Each task should have a card. Include assignees, due dates, and priority levels. Drag and drop cards as tasks progress.
- Step 4: Enable Collaboration – Utilize built-in features to facilitate teamwork. Allow comments and attachments on cards. Use automated notifications and reminders to keep everyone updated.
Integrate your visual task board with other tools, like Gantt charts or Kanban boards, for comprehensive project management. Leverage ServiceNow’s visual task board to boost efficiency and productivity!
Customizing the Visual Task Board
Customize the task board layout by adding or removing columns and changing their order. Personalize the appearance with color schemes, backgrounds, and icons. Configure properties and options like custom fields, automated workflows, and rules for task assignment and prioritization. Integrate with other tools and systems for seamless collaboration and info sharing. Enjoy user-friendly drag-and-drop interface and advanced filtering and search capabilities.
Remember that task boards began as physical corkboards with sticky notes! Now, ServiceNow’s Visual Task Board offers customizability for greater productivity and effectiveness. So get creative and make the most of this versatile tool!
Managing Tasks on the Visual Task Board
- Drag-and-drop tasks between columns with ease!
- Assign tasks to specific people for accountability.
- Set due dates and reminders to complete tasks on time.
- Color-code tasks based on priority or status.
- Filter tasks to view specific groups.
- Plus, get real-time collaboration and communication with the Visual Task Board.
Pro Tip: Customize your board with extra columns or custom fields. Perfect for your team’s needs!
Collaboration and Communication Features
ServiceNow provides real-time messaging to enable quick decisions and problem resolution. Tasks can be assigned to individuals or teams, with feedback, questions and ideas shared through the comment system.
Plus, ServiceNow offers integrated knowledge sharing platforms, collaborative document editing and user-friendly interfaces. These tools streamline communication processes and boost productivity.
Collaboration has come a long way. From physical whiteboards and face-to-face meetings to modern digital platforms like ServiceNow. Technology has revolutionized collaboration, increasing efficiency and opening up new possibilities for global teamwork.
Advanced Tips and Techniques
To make the most of ServiceNow’s visual task board , dive into advanced tips and techniques. These insider insights will help streamline task management and increase productivity.
- Filter your visual task board to focus on specific tasks or milestones. This allows a clear overview without overwhelming yourself.
- Utilize color coding effectively. Assign different colors to tasks for a visual representation of their priority levels or progress status. This helps with organization and easier identification of critical tasks.
- Use labels or tags to categorize and group related tasks. This simplifies navigation and optimizes collaboration.
- Take advantage of swimlanes to organize tasks based on departments, teams, or project phases. This provides clarity and structure.
- Regularly review and reassess your visual task board setup as project requirements evolve. Refine your approach for maximum efficiency.
Best Practices for Effective Task Board Management
Task Board Management is essential for successful project delivery. By following best practices, organizations can guarantee efficient task assignment and tracking, resulting in higher output and the on-time completion of objectives.
- Rank tasks by importance and urgency. This lets team members concentrate on high-priority jobs first, guaranteeing critical deadlines are hit.
- Keep the task board up-to-date in real-time. Regularly update the status of tasks, assign them to responsible team members, and monitor progress to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Use concise and clear task descriptions. Outline the objectives, requirements, and expected results for each task to minimize confusion and make sure everyone knows their roles.
- Promote collaboration by encouraging communication between team members. Allow conversations related to specific tasks on the task board itself, encouraging effective decision-making and eliminating unnecessary back-and-forth communication.
On top of these best practices, it is also important to frequently evaluate the effectiveness of your task board management approach. Spot any bottlenecks or areas for improvement and make the necessary adjustments to optimize productivity.
Take advantage of these best practices and watch as your team achieves their goals with ease. Don’t miss out on the chance to improve project execution while cultivating a collaborative workplace that produces results!
- Configure the layout to your needs. Customize columns, labels, and colors for different stages or types of tasks. This flexibility lets you tailor the board to your workflow.
- Add tasks to the board by creating records in the right table. The tasks will show up based on status or assignment group.
- Move tasks across columns as they progress. This gives a clear view of team progress and helps spot bottlenecks or improvement areas.
- Filter the board to focus on certain tasks or groups. This makes it easier to prioritize and allocate resources.
Pro Tip: Review and update the board regularly to make sure it reflects the current project state. This keeps everyone in the know and simplifies team collaboration.
No credit card required
Take control of your workflows today
Add or modify Visual Task Board lanes
Any board member can change the names and add new lanes to accommodate the task\n workflow you want to track. When you create a freeform or flexible task board, it includes\n the default lanes To Do , Doing , and\n Done .
Role required: none
- \n Open a task board. \n
- Freeform Visual Task Boards
- Data driven Visual Task Boards
- Add or remove a Visual Task Board member
- Delete a Visual Task Board
ServiceNow application spotlight: Visual Task Boards
- Kaitlyn Giovinazzo
- April 22, 2020
When your tasks pile up and you try to stay organized, how are you keeping track of your progress? Are you a traditional pen to paper note taker or do you use an online checklist? Either way works, but ServiceNow offers a great tool for staying on top of your day to day responsibilities.
Visual Task Boards transform the boring to-do list into an interactive and visually pleasing experience. They serve as a great tool for lengthy projects with multiple team members where organization is key. Tasks are displayed as cards which can be moved across different lanes to represent the status of that task. All changes are tracked in real-time, so your team is always up to date on where tasks stand.
Visual Task Boards can be created in three different layouts: Freeform, Flexible and Guided . Each layout has unique settings that cater to specific needs. For example, Guided boards are best for Project Managers who want to assign individual tasks to specific members of the project team.
Users can also configure their Visual Task Boards with swimlanes – a feature which simply allows you to have the option between a horizontal view or a vertical view, whichever one suits your taste.
While we continue to work from home amid COVID-19, staying productive and on top of everyday tasks can feel like a challenge from time to time. With the power of technology at our fingertips, ServiceNow helps turn what could be a 30-minute meeting into a one-stop, everything-you-need platform for staying on track.
Interested in learning more? Contact one of our ServiceNow experts here and we’ll get you started.
Pathways Consulting Group
© 2024 Pathways Consulting Group
| Website by beMarketing
- My Playlists
- Media Upload
- Course Evaluations
- Knowledge Videos
ServiceNow Tips and Tricks: Visual Task Boards
Regis University MediaSpace
try. learn. grow. repeat.
don't be afraid of the unknown
Part 2: Freeform Visual Task Board (Automate)
In this series, I will show you an easy example of how to make use of a freeform visual task board in ServiceNow. In part 1 of the series we already looked into the basics of freeform visual task boards. We wanted to know how you can use them for your work. We also set up two boards that we will use as an example to share information across two teams. In addition, we wanted to organize our different tasks like change requests, incidents, etc. in these teams.
In part 2 we will make our lives easier by adding tasks. Instead of selecting task entries or using the context menu (both work well), we will leverage the Flow Designer to create a flow that will add the tasks based on the tags we give them. With this, we can easily add a task to multiple boards without using the actions or context menus.
- Part 1: Freefor m visual task board (basics)
- Part 2: Freeform visual task board (automate)
- Part 3: Freeform visual task board (improvements)
Automate adding tasks to different freeform visual task boards
You can see that maintaining a visual task board with the various options can be very time-consuming. There are different steps and views involved before adding a task to one or both boards. With the help of a Flow, we can make it very simple to share cards across teams.
The idea I have in mind is to use tags (which are available on each task table and extended tables) that will either add the task to the visual task board of Team Awesome or Team Incredible.
- Navigate to System Definition > Tags .
- Create two tags : Awesome + Incredible.
- Navigate to Process Automation > Flow Designer .
- Create a new Flow .
The whole flow will look like this at the end.
Now we can go ahead and add some tags to various tasks. We want to see if our flows add them to the respective freeform visual task boards.
As you can see you can now add very quickly tasks to the freeform visual task boards you created. To share a private task with any of your boards you can use the same Flow. Just add the respective tags and the cards will show up. With this, it is kind of easy and simple to share information and keep track of your most important topics.
2 thoughts on “Part 2: Freeform Visual Task Board (Automate)”
- Pingback: Part 1: Freeform Visual Task Board (basics) - try. learn. grow. repeat.
- Pingback: Part 3: Freeform Visual Task Board (improvements) - try. learn. grow. repeat.
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Add to Visual Task Board – Any record (List choice) (multi-card)
In previous articles, I explored the possibility of adding any record to a Visual Task Board from a form and from a list .
Where do we go from here?
What about selecting multiple records from a list and adding a card for each one of them?
We can use Personal tasks [vtb_task] as an interface between the VTB Card [vtb_card] and the actual record .
VTB Card [vtb_card] → Target record [task]
We can have:
VTB Card [vtb_card] → Personal Task [vtb_task] → Target record [any record in the system]
How do we do that?
With a single UI Action and relying on the out of the box functionality.
Create a new Global UI action (easier if you just copy the OOTB one “Add to Visual Task Board”).
Name: Add to VTB (non-task) (multi-card)
Type: List choice
Action name: add_to_vtb_list_choice_non_task_multi
Now, we can add multiple records to a board simultaneously.
Why don’t we use all our new “Add to VTB (non-task)” UI Actions to test this feature?
3 Things I Learned in January 2021
Onchange trigger in html fields.