- Plagiarism checker Do The Check
- Academic editing Ask For Help
- Samples database View Samples Base
Best Research Paper Topic On History For Students
30 Dec 2021
❓What is a History Research Paper?
✅Unique History Research Topics Tips
History Research Paper Topics:
- 🕯️Ancient History
- 👑Middle Ages History
- 🌎World History
- 🪖WWI History
- 💣WWII History
- 🚀20th Century
- 📱Modern History
- ⚔️French Revolution
- 🏰European History
- 🗽US History
- 🎭Art History
Studying history is important. As we look to understand the things that have shaped our existence, we learn more about ourselves. Essentially, by studying our past, we re-examine human existence and all that makes up the human condition. We can reinterpret the present and avoid the errors made in the past. That said, writing a history paper can be a challenge.
One of the biggest challenges is just how many research topics for students there are. There are European history research paper topics, art history research paper topics, and world history research paper topics among many more. Knowing where to begin can be the biggest hurdle to overcome. In this guide, PapersOwl will give you a list of history topics to get you started.
Improve your grades with our Essay Writing Course
Academic writing is easy… if you know how. Learn to write essays from a PapersOwl writer who has written over 800 papers
What is a History Research Paper?
A history research paper is an analysis of a historical time or event. There is usually a thesis statement or argument that the paper analyses and proves. The body of a research paper will lay out evidence to argue the thesis statement. By showing the statement to be possible, the paper might draw on new possibilities and explore new ideas.
When someone reads the paper, they will meet the thesis within the first couple of paragraphs. As they read more, they contemplate what they are being shown. They are presented with evidence to weigh, and they might find themselves wanting to know more about the topic. No matter the subject matter, history research papers present the writer's own ideas and back them up with evidence such as others' ideas.
A research paper is different from an essay. Essays are usually personal interpretations of a subject, while research papers build on ideas and evidence by experts. Though you can buy history papers , here are some unique ideas to get you started on a topic you might be interested in.
Is writing essays your hobby?
Participate in our "Independence Day of the United States" essay writing competition and get a 12-month Quizlet subscription.
- Deadline: July 24, 2023
- Topic: Declaration of Independence
- Language: English
- Length: 1000-5000 words
- Font size: 11 or 12
Unique History Research Topics Tips
Choosing good history topics to research is a challenge for college students. Many students spend too much time worrying about which topic to choose that they don't even consider that they also need to learn how to write historical papers .
The best history research paper topics are ones that have strong arguments for discussion. When searching for history research paper topics, you should consider the following:
- Is your topic relevant, and is there a clear statement?
- Is there enough prior literature on the topic?
- Can you find out enough facts with supporting sources and evidence?
- Are there enough things to consider for the thesis argument and the number of words required?
The majority of research papers require a particular style. This might be comparative, analytical, argumentative, or reflective. You might also be guided to a certain style:
- A cause and effect paper - to explain and analyze a historical event and its consequences.
- A persuasive essay - to persuade the reader to a certain way of thinking about a historical event.
- A paper to compare and contrast - two historical figures/eras/events, etc.
Now we have some background information, let's explore our list of history topics. For some of them, we have expanded the topic to give you more information.
Ancient History Research Paper Topics
Ancient history is often one of college students' favorite history research paper topics.
Here are some interesting history research paper topics before 1500.
- The view of immortality and death in Ancient Egypt - Ancient Egyptians believed that immortality and death were seen as an interruption in life and not the end of it
- The History of Palestine - Palestine has an interesting history and is defined as an area between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea
- Prophets and Religious Leaders - Religious leaders and prophets have shaped how we view the spiritual world
- Did the Trojan Horse exist? - a horse that's crossed through history over 3000 years, but was it real?
- Traditions and Culture of Sumerians - Sumerian history is an interesting topic and they had an intricate relationship with God
- How the Iron Age changed the world - with iron farming tools like sickles, farmers could grow new crops and free up their time
- Prehistoric Britain and the Role of Women
- A study of Empires and Power - there are so many empires to choose from, including the British Empire and the Mongol Empire
- Ancient Egyptian symbolism - Ancient Egypt was full of symbols like the Eye of Horus
- The great wall of China - was it built to prevent internal or external threats?
Middle Ages History Research Paper Topics
When considering history topics to write about, the Middle Ages is always popular. Here are some good research topics for the Middle Ages:
- The Middle Ages and Chivalry
- Medieval Europe - the cause and effect of urbanization
- War in the Middle Ages - the changes brought about by gunpowder
- The powerful role of the House of Medici in the Middle Ages - the House of Medici was a political dynasty and Italian banking family
- Were the Crusades a just holy war or a cruel pilgrimage? - The Crusades were religious wars during Medieval times. They were initiated and supported by the Latin Church
- The changes in armor and weapons during the Middle Ages
- Scientific Progress during the Dark Ages - universities began in the Dark Ages, and so lots of progress was made in the sciences
- Middle Age Witch Trials - prosecuting the powerless
- Evolving Asia in the Middle Ages
- Religion's role in daily Middle Age life
Stuck with finding the right title?
Get plenty of fresh and catchy topic ideas and pick the perfect one with PapersOwl Title Generator.
World History Research Paper Topics
When it comes to world history topics, you have a huge scope, and narrowing them down can be hard. Here are some interesting history topics from around the world:
- The Battle of the Seas - Spain and Britain
- Aftershocks of the Cold War
- Medieval Europe and social relationships
- Colonizing South America - this began in 1494 with Christopher Columbus
- The impact of Apartheid - Apartheid negatively affected children in South Africa, but it was especially devastating for black children
- Ancient Roman bridal ceremonies
- Ancient civilizations and weapon use
- What led to the Thirty Years' War?
- Crusades and Religion
- The Mexican-American War - almost two years of fighting, this was a defining moment for US and Mexican relations
WWI History Research Paper Topics
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination and the triggering of WWI - Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo on 28th June 1914, which is considered to be the most immediate cause of the Great War
- The first battle of Marne and its role in preventing Germany's advances
- The use of poison gas in the battle of Ypres and its consequences
- The Treaty of Versailles - signed in 1919, was the formal end to WWI
- WWI's human cost - 9 million soldiers and 12 million civilians died during the war
- WWI's air and sea battles - a comparison
- WWI alliances
- America's involvement in World War I
- World War I and the Russian Revolution
- The Gallipoli Campaign in WWI
WWII History Research Paper Topics
- A study of the impact of the diary of Anne Frank
- The invasion of Poland and the start of WWII
- Holocaust victims - some six million Jews plus millions of others targeted for their political beliefs, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation
- Africa and WWII
- The neutrality of the US in World War II - the Neutrality Acts of the 1930s
- The holocaust and the church
- Hitler’s perception in Germany during WWII
- WWII and African Americans
- WWII and Japanese-American Internment
- WWII and diplomacy
20th Century History Research Paper Topics
Of course, both WWI and WWII were in the 20th century, but there is so much more to this century than the two huge wars. Here are some history research paper topics from the 1900s to 2000.
- Northern Irish troubles in the 20th century - typically dated from the end of the 60s to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, but there have been episodes of sporadic violence after
- The Cuban missile crisis (also known as the October Crisis of 1962 or the Caribbean Crisis) - just over one month of confrontation been the Soviet Union and the United States
- The Chernobyl disaster
- The aftermath of WWII
- The Nuremberg Trials
- The formation of the European Union
- The controversies and legacy of François Mitterrand
- El Salvador and civil war consequences
- Student revolts of 1968 - student demonstrations in Belgrade, Yugoslavia - the first mass protests since WWII
- The invention of the Internet and the PC
Modern History Research Paper Topics
Modern history also encompasses some interesting research topics. These include:
- American History of the 21st Century
- The atomic bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima - two nuclear weapons were detonated by the US in August 1945, killing as many as 226,000, with most being civilians
- Europeans Vs Native Americans
- America's social movements
- Industrialists and inventors of the modern world
- 21st-century US policies and immigration
- Social movements and the effects of industrialization in America
- The cost of industrialization in the U.S.
- The European Union - currently 27 member states and 447 million inhabitants, the beginnings of the EU data to post-WWII
- Socio-economic developments and gender inequality
French Revolution Topics
If the French Revolution interests you, here is a list of research topics.
- Causes of the French Revolution - there were many causes, which included social inequality, tax burdens, and a financial crisis
- The French Revolution and absolutism
- The effects of the French Revolution on modern France
- The role of the French Revolution in world history - the French Revolution shaped modern nations showing how the inherent will of the people can prevail
- Societal transformation after the French Revolution
- The influence of Robespierre in the French Revolution
- The French Revolution and music - the French Revolution had a huge influence on music and French operas
- Olympe de Gouges and the French Revolution
- A Tale of Two Cities and the French Revolution - the French Revolution is a key event in Charles Dickens's novel
- The French Revolution and Napoleon Bonaparte's betrayal
Build your thesis statement
This is AI-powered online tool that lets you create a thesis statement about any topic you need.
- Simple interface
- Works with any type of paper
- Absolutely free
- Unlimited attempts
European History Research Paper Topics
There are many argumentative research paper topics for European History. Here are some examples:
- Britain's Kings and Queens - the British monarchy began following raids by the Vikings, and Alfred the Great assumed the title of "King of the English"
- History of the European Economy
- The Seven Years' War
- 18th-century European Politics
- The rise of fascism
- Francisco Franco and the far right in Spain
- Fascist propaganda in Italy, Germany, and Spain in the 20th century
- The merge of science and art in Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries
- The rise of Stalin - Stalin was a student radical and became an influential member and ultimate leader of the Bolshevik faction of the Russian Social Democratic Party
- English Witch hunts and gender bias - gender played a huge role in witch hunts in Early-Modern Europe, and even the Catholic Church believed women were more prone to demonic possession
US History Research Paper Topics
American History topics are always interesting, and there is usually lots of evidence and sources to help you write a good research paper .
For anyone interested in US History, these American history research paper topics for college students are great ones to get stuck into:
- What led to the USA civil war? The American Civil War is one of the most written about and studied parts of U.S. history
- History of US elections
- Social Conflicts in the American Revolution
- The US Federalist Era
- African-Americans in the civil war
- Segregation and Racism in the United States - African American history research paper topics are always an interesting read
- The first Native American civilizations
- The American Civil War and the distribution of wealth
- The 1992 Riots in Los Angeles - lots of lootings, civil disturbances, and arson in April and May 1992 due to the LAPD using excessive force when arresting Rodney King
- The Impact of Barack Obama
Art History Research Paper Topics
When many people look for history research paper topics for middle school, they like to combine it with another subject they are studying, like art. Some people also write about music history paper topics . Here are some historical topics that are on the subject of art.
- Art History Vs Art Studio
- US art history and politics
- Frank Stella's life
- Art and war
- Links between philosophy and art
- Symbolism in the paintings of Frida Kahlo
- Salvador Dali and his surrealist sculptures
- Gothic architecture
- Women and beauty standards in the Renaissance
- The differences between art deco and art nouveau
Having the freedom to choose an essay topic can be both exciting and daunting. It is a huge challenge and responsibility. Hopefully, though, one of our research paper topics 2023 will help set you off on the right path to producing a great essay!
Remember that writing a history research paper is different from writing an essay. With this type of essay, you need to combine your own ideas with the ideas of historians and researchers before you come up with a supporting argument to a thesis. While you might choose any one of our ideas above, you should always bear in mind that you'll need to find sources and evidence to use in your research paper. If you find a topic that is too difficult to find enough information on, it might be that you should choose a different slant or a different topic altogether. You should never leave this sort of paper until the last minute before the deadline. A research paper takes time and effort and done right, is a really satisfying assignment to hand in. If you find yourself in need of assistance, consider looking into research paper writing services , as they may be able to provide additional help and guidance. Good luck!
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.
Prof. Linda Mia
I’ve worked for the past eight years as a content editor, creative writer, and professional essay writer. Every day, I work hard to make sure my clients are satisfied with the projects and papers I write for them. My areas of expertise are wide, ranging from Psychology and Sociology to Political Science and World History.
Readers also enjoyed
Feminist research topics for students.
Research Paper Writing Guides 11 likes
Food Research Topics
Research Paper Writing Guides 13 likes
Sports Research Paper Topics and Ideas
Research Paper Writing Guides 14 likes
WHY WAIT? PLACE AN ORDER RIGHT NOW!
Simply fill out the form, click the button, and have no worries!
Choose Your Test
Sat / act prep online guides and tips, 113 great research paper topics.
One of the hardest parts of writing a research paper can be just finding a good topic to write about. Fortunately we've done the hard work for you and have compiled a list of 113 interesting research paper topics. They've been organized into ten categories and cover a wide range of subjects so you can easily find the best topic for you.
In addition to the list of good research topics, we've included advice on what makes a good research paper topic and how you can use your topic to start writing a great paper.
What Makes a Good Research Paper Topic?
Not all research paper topics are created equal, and you want to make sure you choose a great topic before you start writing. Below are the three most important factors to consider to make sure you choose the best research paper topics.
#1: It's Something You're Interested In
A paper is always easier to write if you're interested in the topic, and you'll be more motivated to do in-depth research and write a paper that really covers the entire subject. Even if a certain research paper topic is getting a lot of buzz right now or other people seem interested in writing about it, don't feel tempted to make it your topic unless you genuinely have some sort of interest in it as well.
#2: There's Enough Information to Write a Paper
Even if you come up with the absolute best research paper topic and you're so excited to write about it, you won't be able to produce a good paper if there isn't enough research about the topic. This can happen for very specific or specialized topics, as well as topics that are too new to have enough research done on them at the moment. Easy research paper topics will always be topics with enough information to write a full-length paper.
Trying to write a research paper on a topic that doesn't have much research on it is incredibly hard, so before you decide on a topic, do a bit of preliminary searching and make sure you'll have all the information you need to write your paper.
#3: It Fits Your Teacher's Guidelines
Don't get so carried away looking at lists of research paper topics that you forget any requirements or restrictions your teacher may have put on research topic ideas. If you're writing a research paper on a health-related topic, deciding to write about the impact of rap on the music scene probably won't be allowed, but there may be some sort of leeway. For example, if you're really interested in current events but your teacher wants you to write a research paper on a history topic, you may be able to choose a topic that fits both categories, like exploring the relationship between the US and North Korea. No matter what, always get your research paper topic approved by your teacher first before you begin writing.
113 Good Research Paper Topics
Below are 113 good research topics to help you get you started on your paper. We've organized them into ten categories to make it easier to find the type of research paper topics you're looking for.
- Discuss the main differences in art from the Italian Renaissance and the Northern Renaissance .
- Analyze the impact a famous artist had on the world.
- How is sexism portrayed in different types of media (music, film, video games, etc.)? Has the amount/type of sexism changed over the years?
- How has the music of slaves brought over from Africa shaped modern American music?
- How has rap music evolved in the past decade?
- How has the portrayal of minorities in the media changed?
- What have been the impacts of China's one child policy?
- How have the goals of feminists changed over the decades?
- How has the Trump presidency changed international relations?
- Analyze the history of the relationship between the United States and North Korea.
- What factors contributed to the current decline in the rate of unemployment?
- What have been the impacts of states which have increased their minimum wage?
- How do US immigration laws compare to immigration laws of other countries?
- How have the US's immigration laws changed in the past few years/decades?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected discussions and view about racism in the US?
- What impact has the Affordable Care Act had on healthcare in the US?
- What factors contributed to the UK deciding to leave the EU (Brexit)?
- What factors contributed to China becoming an economic power?
- Discuss the history of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies (some of which tokenize the S&P 500 Index on the blockchain) .
- Do students in schools that eliminate grades do better in college and their careers?
- Do students from wealthier backgrounds score higher on standardized tests?
- Do students who receive free meals at school get higher grades compared to when they weren't receiving a free meal?
- Do students who attend charter schools score higher on standardized tests than students in public schools?
- Do students learn better in same-sex classrooms?
- How does giving each student access to an iPad or laptop affect their studies?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of the Montessori Method ?
- Do children who attend preschool do better in school later on?
- What was the impact of the No Child Left Behind act?
- How does the US education system compare to education systems in other countries?
- What impact does mandatory physical education classes have on students' health?
- Which methods are most effective at reducing bullying in schools?
- Do homeschoolers who attend college do as well as students who attended traditional schools?
- Does offering tenure increase or decrease quality of teaching?
- How does college debt affect future life choices of students?
- Should graduate students be able to form unions?
- What are different ways to lower gun-related deaths in the US?
- How and why have divorce rates changed over time?
- Is affirmative action still necessary in education and/or the workplace?
- Should physician-assisted suicide be legal?
- How has stem cell research impacted the medical field?
- How can human trafficking be reduced in the United States/world?
- Should people be able to donate organs in exchange for money?
- Which types of juvenile punishment have proven most effective at preventing future crimes?
- Has the increase in US airport security made passengers safer?
- Analyze the immigration policies of certain countries and how they are similar and different from one another.
- Several states have legalized recreational marijuana. What positive and negative impacts have they experienced as a result?
- Do tariffs increase the number of domestic jobs?
- Which prison reforms have proven most effective?
- Should governments be able to censor certain information on the internet?
- Which methods/programs have been most effective at reducing teen pregnancy?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of the Keto diet?
- How effective are different exercise regimes for losing weight and maintaining weight loss?
- How do the healthcare plans of various countries differ from each other?
- What are the most effective ways to treat depression ?
- What are the pros and cons of genetically modified foods?
- Which methods are most effective for improving memory?
- What can be done to lower healthcare costs in the US?
- What factors contributed to the current opioid crisis?
- Analyze the history and impact of the HIV/AIDS epidemic .
- Are low-carbohydrate or low-fat diets more effective for weight loss?
- How much exercise should the average adult be getting each week?
- Which methods are most effective to get parents to vaccinate their children?
- What are the pros and cons of clean needle programs?
- How does stress affect the body?
- Discuss the history of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
- What were the causes and effects of the Salem Witch Trials?
- Who was responsible for the Iran-Contra situation?
- How has New Orleans and the government's response to natural disasters changed since Hurricane Katrina?
- What events led to the fall of the Roman Empire?
- What were the impacts of British rule in India ?
- Was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary?
- What were the successes and failures of the women's suffrage movement in the United States?
- What were the causes of the Civil War?
- How did Abraham Lincoln's assassination impact the country and reconstruction after the Civil War?
- Which factors contributed to the colonies winning the American Revolution?
- What caused Hitler's rise to power?
- Discuss how a specific invention impacted history.
- What led to Cleopatra's fall as ruler of Egypt?
- How has Japan changed and evolved over the centuries?
- What were the causes of the Rwandan genocide ?
- Why did Martin Luther decide to split with the Catholic Church?
- Analyze the history and impact of a well-known cult (Jonestown, Manson family, etc.)
- How did the sexual abuse scandal impact how people view the Catholic Church?
- How has the Catholic church's power changed over the past decades/centuries?
- What are the causes behind the rise in atheism/ agnosticism in the United States?
- What were the influences in Siddhartha's life resulted in him becoming the Buddha?
- How has media portrayal of Islam/Muslims changed since September 11th?
- How has the earth's climate changed in the past few decades?
- How has the use and elimination of DDT affected bird populations in the US?
- Analyze how the number and severity of natural disasters have increased in the past few decades.
- Analyze deforestation rates in a certain area or globally over a period of time.
- How have past oil spills changed regulations and cleanup methods?
- How has the Flint water crisis changed water regulation safety?
- What are the pros and cons of fracking?
- What impact has the Paris Climate Agreement had so far?
- What have NASA's biggest successes and failures been?
- How can we improve access to clean water around the world?
- Does ecotourism actually have a positive impact on the environment?
- Should the US rely on nuclear energy more?
- What can be done to save amphibian species currently at risk of extinction?
- What impact has climate change had on coral reefs?
- How are black holes created?
- Are teens who spend more time on social media more likely to suffer anxiety and/or depression?
- How will the loss of net neutrality affect internet users?
- Analyze the history and progress of self-driving vehicles.
- How has the use of drones changed surveillance and warfare methods?
- Has social media made people more or less connected?
- What progress has currently been made with artificial intelligence ?
- Do smartphones increase or decrease workplace productivity?
- What are the most effective ways to use technology in the classroom?
- How is Google search affecting our intelligence?
- When is the best age for a child to begin owning a smartphone?
- Has frequent texting reduced teen literacy rates?
How to Write a Great Research Paper
Even great research paper topics won't give you a great research paper if you don't hone your topic before and during the writing process. Follow these three tips to turn good research paper topics into great papers.
#1: Figure Out Your Thesis Early
Before you start writing a single word of your paper, you first need to know what your thesis will be. Your thesis is a statement that explains what you intend to prove/show in your paper. Every sentence in your research paper will relate back to your thesis, so you don't want to start writing without it!
As some examples, if you're writing a research paper on if students learn better in same-sex classrooms, your thesis might be "Research has shown that elementary-age students in same-sex classrooms score higher on standardized tests and report feeling more comfortable in the classroom."
If you're writing a paper on the causes of the Civil War, your thesis might be "While the dispute between the North and South over slavery is the most well-known cause of the Civil War, other key causes include differences in the economies of the North and South, states' rights, and territorial expansion."
#2: Back Every Statement Up With Research
Remember, this is a research paper you're writing, so you'll need to use lots of research to make your points. Every statement you give must be backed up with research, properly cited the way your teacher requested. You're allowed to include opinions of your own, but they must also be supported by the research you give.
#3: Do Your Research Before You Begin Writing
You don't want to start writing your research paper and then learn that there isn't enough research to back up the points you're making, or, even worse, that the research contradicts the points you're trying to make!
Get most of your research on your good research topics done before you begin writing. Then use the research you've collected to create a rough outline of what your paper will cover and the key points you're going to make. This will help keep your paper clear and organized, and it'll ensure you have enough research to produce a strong paper.
Are you also learning about dynamic equilibrium in your science class? We break this sometimes tricky concept down so it's easy to understand in our complete guide to dynamic equilibrium .
Thinking about becoming a nurse practitioner? Nurse practitioners have one of the fastest growing careers in the country, and we have all the information you need to know about what to expect from nurse practitioner school .
Want to know the fastest and easiest ways to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius? We've got you covered! Check out our guide to the best ways to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit (or vice versa).
Need more help with this topic? Check out Tutorbase!
Our vetted tutor database includes a range of experienced educators who can help you polish an essay for English or explain how derivatives work for Calculus. You can use dozens of filters and search criteria to find the perfect person for your needs.
These recommendations are based solely on our knowledge and experience. If you purchase an item through one of our links, PrepScholar may receive a commission.
Christine graduated from Michigan State University with degrees in Environmental Biology and Geography and received her Master's from Duke University. In high school she scored in the 99th percentile on the SAT and was named a National Merit Finalist. She has taught English and biology in several countries.
Student and Parent Forum
Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com , allow you to interact with your peers and the PrepScholar staff. See how other students and parents are navigating high school, college, and the college admissions process. Ask questions; get answers.
Ask a Question Below
Have any questions about this article or other topics? Ask below and we'll reply!
Improve With Our Famous Guides
- For All Students
The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points
How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer
Series: How to Get 800 on Each SAT Section:
Score 800 on SAT Math
Score 800 on SAT Reading
Score 800 on SAT Writing
Series: How to Get to 600 on Each SAT Section:
Score 600 on SAT Math
Score 600 on SAT Reading
Score 600 on SAT Writing
Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests
What SAT Target Score Should You Be Aiming For?
15 Strategies to Improve Your SAT Essay
The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 4+ ACT Points
How to Get a Perfect 36 ACT, by a Perfect Scorer
Series: How to Get 36 on Each ACT Section:
36 on ACT English
36 on ACT Math
36 on ACT Reading
36 on ACT Science
Series: How to Get to 24 on Each ACT Section:
24 on ACT English
24 on ACT Math
24 on ACT Reading
24 on ACT Science
What ACT target score should you be aiming for?
ACT Vocabulary You Must Know
ACT Writing: 15 Tips to Raise Your Essay Score
How to Get Into Harvard and the Ivy League
How to Get a Perfect 4.0 GPA
How to Write an Amazing College Essay
What Exactly Are Colleges Looking For?
Is the ACT easier than the SAT? A Comprehensive Guide
Should you retake your SAT or ACT?
When should you take the SAT or ACT?
Get the latest articles and test prep tips!
Looking for Graduate School Test Prep?
Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here:
GRE Online Prep Blog
GMAT Online Prep Blog
TOEFL Online Prep Blog
Holly R. "I am absolutely overjoyed and cannot thank you enough for helping me!”
How to Write a History Research Paper
- How do I pick a topic?
- But I can’t find any material…
See also: How to Write a Good History Essay
1. How do I pick a topic?
Picking a topic is perhaps the most important step in writing a research paper. To do it well requires several steps of refinement. First you have to determine a general area in which you have an interest (if you aren’t interested, your readers won’t be either). You do not write a paper “about the Civil War,” however, for that is such a large and vague concept that the paper will be too shallow or you will be swamped with information. The next step is to narrow your topic. Are you interested in comparison? battles? social change? politics? causes? biography? Once you reach this stage try to formulate your research topic as a question. For example, suppose that you decide to write a paper on the use of the films of the 1930’s and what they can tell historians about the Great Depression. You might turn that into the following question: “What are the primary values expressed in films of the 1930’s?” Or you might ask a quite different question, “What is the standard of living portrayed in films of the 1930’s?” There are other questions, of course, which you could have asked, but these two clearly illustrate how different two papers on the same general subject might be. By asking yourself a question as a means of starting research on a topic you will help yourself find the answers. You also open the door to loading the evidence one way or another. It will help you decide what kinds of evidence might be pertinent to your question, and it can also twist perceptions of a topic. For example, if you ask a question about economics as motivation, you are not likely to learn much about ideals, and vice versa.
2. But I can’t find any material…
No one should pick a topic without trying to figure out how one could discover pertinent information, nor should anyone settle on a topic before getting some background information about the general area. These two checks should make sure your paper is in the realm of the possible. The trick of good research is detective work and imaginative thinking on how one can find information. First try to figure out what kinds of things you should know about a topic to answer your research question. Are there statistics? Do you need personal letters? What background information should be included? Then if you do not know how to find that particular kind of information, ASK . A reference librarian or professor is much more likely to be able to steer you to the right sources if you can ask a specific question such as “Where can I find statistics on the number of interracial marriages?” than if you say “What can you find on racial attitudes?”
Use the footnotes and bibliographies of general background books as well as reference aids to lead you to special studies. If Carleton does not have the books or sources you need, try ordering through the library minitex. Many sources are also available on-line.
As your research paper takes shape you will find that you need background on people, places, events, etc. Do not just rely on some general survey for all of your background. Check the several good dictionaries of biography for background on people, or see if there is a standard book-length biography. If you are dealing with a legal matter check into the background of the judges who make the court decision and the circumstances surrounding the original incident or law. Try looking for public opinions in newspapers of the time. In other words, each bit of information you find should open the possibility of other research paths.
Learn to use several research techniques. You cannot count on a good research paper coming from browsing on one shelf at the library. A really pertinent book may be hidden in another section of the library due to classification quirks. The Readers’ Guide (Ref. A13 .R4) is not the only source for magazine articles, nor the card catalog for books. There are whole books which are listings of other books on particular topics. There are specialized indexes of magazine articles. Modern History Journals are indexed in the Social Studies and Humanities Index (Ref. A13 .R282) before 1976 After 1976 use the Social Sciences Index (REF A13 .S62) and the Humanities Index (Ref. A13 .H85). See also Historical Abstracts (Ref. D1 .H5). Reference Librarians would love to help you learn to use these research tools. It pays to browse in the reference room at the library and poke into the guides which are on the shelves. It also pays to browse the Internet.
3. Help! How do I put this together?
A. preliminary research:.
If you do not already have a general background on your topic, get the most recent good general source on the topic and read it for general orientation. On the basis of that reading formulate as clearly focused question as you can. You should generally discuss with your professor at that point whether your question is a feasible one.
B. Building a Basic Bibliography:
Use the bibliography/notes in your first general source, MUSE, and especially Historical Abstracts on cd-rom in the Library Reading Room (the computer farthest to the left in the front row as you walk past the Reference Desk — or ask there). If there is a specialized bibliography on your topic, you will certainly want to consult that as well, but these are often a bit dated.
C. Building a Full Bibliography:
Read the recent articles or chapters that seem to focus on your topic best. This will allow you to focus your research question quite a bit. Use the sources cited and/or discussed in this reading to build a full bibliography. Use such tools as Historical Abstracts (or, depending on your topic, the abstracts from a different field) and a large, convenient computer-based national library catalog (e.g. the University of California system from the “Libs” command in your VAX account or the smaller University of Minnesota library through MUSE) to check out your sources fully. For specific article searches “Uncover” (press returns for the “open access”) or possibly (less likely for history) “First Search” through “Connect to Other Resources” in MUSE can also be useful.
D. Major Research:
Now do the bulk of your research. But do not overdo it. Do not fall into the trap of reading and reading to avoid getting started on the writing. After you have the bulk of information you might need, start writing. You can fill in the smaller gaps of your research more effectively later.
Write a preliminary thesis statement, expressing what you believe your major argument(s) will be. Sketch out a broad outline that indicates the structure — main points and subpoints or your argument as it seems at this time. Do not get too detailed at this point.
B. The First Draft:
On the basis of this thesis statement and outline, start writing, even pieces, as soon as you have enough information to start. Do not wait until you have filled all the research gaps. Keep on writing. If you run into smaller research questions just mark the text with a searchable symbol. It is important that you try to get to the end point of this writing as soon as possible, even if you leave pieces still in outline form at first and then fill the gaps after you get to the end.
Critical advice for larger papers: It is often more effective not to start at the point where the beginning of your paper will be. Especially the introductory paragraph is often best left until later, when you feel ready and inspired.
C. The Second Draft:
The “second draft” is a fully re-thought and rewritten version of your paper. It is at the heart of the writing process.
First, lay your first draft aside for a day or so to gain distance from it. After that break, read it over with a critical eye as you would somebody else’s paper (well, almost!). You will probably find that your first draft is still quite descriptive, rather than argumentative. It is likely to wander; your perspective and usually even the thesis seemed to change/develop as you wrote. Don’t despair. That is perfectly normal even for experienced writers (even after 40 years and a good deal of published work!). You will be frustrated. But keep questioning your paper along the following lines: What precisely are my key questions? What parts of my evidence here are really pertinent to those questions (that is, does it help me answer them)? How or in what order can I structure my paper most effectively to answer those questions most clearly and efficiently for my reader?
At this point you must outline your paper freshly. Mark up your first draft, ask tough questions whether your argument is clear and whether the order in which you present your points is effective! You must write conceptually a new paper at this point, even if you can use paragraphs and especially quotes, factual data in the new draft.
It is critical that in your new draft your paragraphs start with topic sentences that identify the argument you will be making in the particular paragraph (sometimes this can be strings of two or three paragraphs). The individual steps in your argument must be clearly reflected in the topic sentences of your paragraphs (or a couple of them linked).
D. The Third or Final Draft:
You are now ready to check for basic rules of good writing. This is when you need to check the diction, that is, the accuracy and suitability of words. Eliminate unnecessary passive or awkward noun constructions (active-voice, verbal constructions are usually more effective); improve the flow of your transitions; avoid repetitions or split infinitives; correct apostrophes in possessives and such. Make the style clear and smooth. Check that the start of your paper is interesting for the reader. Last but not least, cut out unnecessary verbiage and wordiness. Spell-check and proof-read.
– Diethelm Prowe, 1998
520 Excellent American History Topics & Tips for an A+ Paper
How can you define America? If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, studying US history will help you find the answer.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for 13.00 10.40/page
This article will help you dive deeper into this versatile subject. Here, you will find:
- Early and modern US history topics to write about. We’ve also got topics for DBQ essays for students taking an AP US history class.
- Tips on how to create a great history paper.
Have you checked out our custom writing service yet? Our experts are always ready to help you with your assignments.
🔝 Top 10 American History Topics
✅ how to write a history paper, ⭐ top 10 us history topics to research.
- 🦅 Topics Before 1865
- ⚔️ Civil War Topics
- 🛠️ Reconstruction & Industrialization
- 🗽 20th Century Topics
- 🔫 Topics on WWI & II
- ☮️ Civil Rights Movement Topics
- 💬 Debatable Topics
- ✊🏿 Black History Topics
- 🏞️ Native American Topics
- ⭐ Topics on Famous People
- The ideology of the Black Panthers
- How did tenements affect America?
- Why was Wilmot Proviso so controversial?
- What characterizes the Roaring Twenties?
- Cause and effect of the Missouri Compromise
- The role of women during the Great Depression
- Did anyone profit from the 1929 Stock Market Crash?
- Michael Collins’ contribution to the space exploration
- How did the US benefit from the Bracero Program?
- Brigham Young’s contribution to the development of the West
History writing is controversial by nature. Selecting questions and topics is already a subjective process. On top of that, you need to interpret the sources. So, there is much to think about when it comes to history papers.
We’ve compiled several tips to make it easier for you. Check it out:
- Don’t be afraid to disagree . People explain many issues by conventional wisdom. Be skeptical and examine your own bias.
- Explore new terrains . Not all historical events get the attention they deserve. Writing about generally neglected topics can yield fascinating results.
- Consider how situations change over time . Frame your subject with a start- and endpoint.
- Wonder . History is not just descriptions of what happened—it also questions how and why specific events took place.
- Avoid relating everything to the present . Examine the past on its own terms. In doing so, keep the chronological order straight.
- Don’t judge your subject . Your goal is to understand the past. Remember: moral norms might have been different in the period you’re studying.
- Give context . It’s crucial to engage with and interpret your sources. Pinpoint their place in the grand scheme of events.
Finally, you might want to write in the present tense. While this works for other social sciences, it’s not advisable for history. It’s best to keep the past in the past! Also, if you need to construct a MLA title page , there’s nothing wrong in using a specialized tool to do that, as long as it allows you to concentrate on the more important part—writing.
- What caused the Red Scare?
- What did the Loyalists fight for?
- Literacy rates during Puritan times
- The effects of the Great Awakening
- Why was the Boston Tea Party justified?
- The aftermath of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- Why was presidential Reconstruction a failure?
- The causes of the economic recession of the 1780s
- Railroads development role in the Industrial Revolution
- Frederick Douglass’s contribution to the abolition of slavery
🦅 Essay Topics on US History before 1865
The period of colonial America is packed with turmoil. Think of the Boston Tea Party or the American Revolution. And these are only two of that era’s most notable events. In this rubric, you’ll find colonial American history essay topics. The period in question starts with the British arrival in the New World and ends with the Civil War.
- The origins of Thanksgiving. One idea is to find out why the Pilgrims started celebrating it in the first place. Alternatively, you could examine how it became a national holiday.
- Why did the British begin settling in the New World? This topic allows you to explore the rivalry with Spain. Or you could investigate England’s problem with poverty.
- Discuss the emergence of joint-stock companies. Who profited from them? What is their legacy? You might also want to study their role in early settling attempts.
- Compare and contrast the Jamestown and Plymouth settlements. You can concentrate on areas such as religion and government.
- Why did Americans start revolting? An excellent place to begin might be America’s position in global power struggles. The impact of the European Enlightenment movement is also something to consider.
- The history of African American culture . Ask yourself these questions: How does it differ from the way it is now? What factors influenced its development?
- What problems arose during the drafting of the Constitution? You might want to write about the economic crisis. Other important factors include different interest groups and their expectations.
- How did the American Revolution influence society? Your essay can be concerned with its immediate or long-term impact. Find out how women, slaves, and other groups reacted to the revolutionary spirit.
- Consequences of the Royal Proclamation of 1783 . American settlers didn’t obey the proclamation, but it still proved to be influential. Your paper could discuss why. Perhaps you’d also like to ponder if it was a good idea.
- The role of nationalism in the westward expansion . Explore how Americans justified their belief in Manifest Destiny .
Don’t forget to check out these essay topics on early American history:
- Why did the settlers start importing slaves?
- How did Texas become a sovereign republic?
- Why was the American Revolution successful?
- Discuss the significance of the Louisiana Purchase.
- What events led to the war of 1812?
- How did the French Revolution impact America?
- Describe the changes the American Revolution brought to the states.
- What did “American” mean in the 18 th century?
- The role of the Sons and Daughters of Liberty in achieving unity.
- Why was the right to bear arms included in the Bill of Rights ?
- The first President of the United States.
- Investigate the origins of the two-party system.
- Alexander Hamilton’s financial policies: opposition and political consequences.
- How did Washington, DC become the national capital?
- Trace the Lewis and Clark expedition.
- Analyze the importance of cotton for the South’s economy in the 1800s.
- How did the relations between the settlers and Native Americans develop over time?
- Who formed the abolitionist movement, and why?
- How did Kansas become a battleground for proponents and opponents of slavery?
- Who were the Border Ruffians?
- What was the Compromise of 1850?
- Consequences of the Mexican-American war.
- Long-term influences of Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin .
- Compare the real Underground Railroad with the Underground Femaleroad in Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale .
- The Declaration of Independence and its legacy.
- What did the philosophy of transcendentalism entail?
- Abigail Adams and the fight for women’s rights in the new republic.
- Who was Daniel Shays?
- Trace the ratification process of the United States’ Constitution .
- What problems arose with the Missouri Compromise?
- The revival of religion in the US after achieving independence.
- How did the mass immigration of Germans and Irish people impact the US?
- Nativism in the US: riots and the politics of the Know-Nothings.
- How did the South and the North respectively argue for and against slavery?
- Investigate the emergence of the “Old American West.”
- Study the connection of the blue jeans’ invention with the California gold rush.
- Describe a day in a life of a slave.
- Why was the Dred Scott Decision significant?
- How does the 1860 election relate to the southern states seceding from the Union?
- Explain the term “popular sovereignty.”
⚔️ Civil War Topics for Your Paper
In the pre-war period, tensions in the US over state rights and slavery were high. The differences seemed impossible to overcome. Eventually, this led to several southern states seceding from the Union. What followed was the bloodiest war ever to take place on American ground. In writing about the Civil War, you can explore military, political, and social issues.
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- Did the South ever have a chance to win? The conflict seemed to be heavily in favor of the more industrialized North. Still, it took four years of fighting to get the South to surrender. Your essay could examine the South’s underestimated strengths.
- Compare and contrast the South’s and North’s economic situation on the eve of the Civil War . You might want to investigate the following questions: What did they produce? How did this influence the decision to wage war?
- How did the Emancipation Proclamation affect the war? You could focus on the contributions of African American soldiers.
- Discuss the fatal mistakes made on the battlefields of the Civil War. What decisive moments impacted its results the most? Your paper might explore what the generals could have done differently.
- Was the Civil War unavoidable? It may be interesting to contemplate a possible compromise. In doing so, think about whether this would have merely delayed the war.
- The general public’s position on the Civil War. It might be compelling to analyze who supported the effort and why. One focal point could be on differences between social classes.
- The role of beliefs during the Civil War. You could investigate what the South and the North respectively held sacred. Were religious beliefs a crucial motivator for one or both sides?
- The “Angel of the Battlefield”: Clara Barton. An essay could analyze how she contributed to the recognition of women’s war participation. It could also examine how it forwarded the struggle for women’s rights.
- What were the political reasons to fight the Civil War ? Investigating this question might yield surprising insights.
- Contrasting Stonewall Jackson and Ulysses Grant might be engaging for those who are interested in military strategies.
Do you want more? Have a look at the following topic samples for high and middle school students:
- Analyze why Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address became a critical moment in American history.
- Was the Civil War justified?
- Why was Fort Sumter relevant?
- How did the Civil War battles impact the American social sphere?
- What does the notion of the “Lost Cause” mean?
- Would the election of a different man other than Abraham Lincoln as president have prevented the Civil War?
- Why did many former slaves enlist in the Union army after the Emancipation Proclamation?
- Describe the consequences of Abraham Lincoln’s assassination.
- Why was slavery essential for the South?
- Foreign US policy during the 1860s.
- European reactions on the American Civil War.
- How did Jefferson Davis’ government differ from Abraham Lincoln’s?
- Analyze the notion “A rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.” Why was this especially true in the South?
- Why did the Union rely heavily on blockades to weaken the Confederation ?
- Examine how Mary Boykin Chesnut’s A Diary from Dixie reflects on the war.
- How did the war affect life in the South vs. the North?
- Investigate the events that led to the Union victory in 1864-65.
- Was the abolitionist movement the catalyst for the war ?
- The impact of industrialization on the battlefield.
- What technologies emerged during the Civil War?
- Discuss the societal effects of war photography.
- How did the Civil War affect the many immigrants who recently entered the United States?
- Did the American Civil War impact the rest of the globe? If so, how?
- Can one consider Abraham Lincoln one of the best presidents in American history? If so, why?
- Compare and contrast the most important generals and their tactics.
- Debate the influence of Manifest Destiny on exacerbating tensions.
- What states were devastated the most after the war, and why?
- Describe the South’s and North’s goals during the Civil War.
- What does the term “Bleeding Kansas” mean?
- Newspaper coverage of the Civil War in the South vs. the North.
- Analyze various letters to understand how people from different backgrounds perceived the Civil War.
- Art and theater in 1860s America.
- Debate how sectionalism and protectionism contributed to pre-war tensions in the US.
- Why did the Crittenden Compromise fail?
- How did the border states perceive the battles of the Civil War?
- Explore the war contributions and legacy of Mary Edwards Walker.
- The importance of the US navy in leading the Union to victory.
- What happened on the West Coast during the Civil War?
- Trace a timeline of the Civil War’s key battles.
- Nation-building and national identity: how did the Civil War shape the idea of “Americanness”?
🛠️ Essay Topics on Reconstruction & Industrialization
After the war, industrialization was rapidly changing the American landscape. Additionally, restoring the order after years of fighting proved a challenge. In abolishing slavery, Republicans took the first step to ensure constitutional rights for African Americans. But not everyone shared the same viewpoints. Dive deeper into these confusing times with one of our topics on American history before 1877:
- Why did scholars initially view the Reconstruction Era in a bad light ? When answering this question, you can focus on the idea of “Black Supremacism.” You also might want to analyze what compelled them to shift their perspective.
- Another option is investigating what caused Reconstruction to fail. You can further argue where it succeeded and perhaps offer a new interpretation.
- Maybe you’d prefer an essay on why the Reconstruction Era mattered . This topic allows you to highlight crucial contemporary debates still relevant today.
- Tracing the origins of the Ku-Klux-Klan has much to offer. You can link this topic to today and question if handling them has changed.
- Why did President Johnson veto the enactment of the Civil Rights Act in 1866? It might be interesting to contrast his political reasoning and his personal beliefs.
- Compare the phases of Reconstruction . How did the concept change from Lincoln’s initial plans to President Johnson’s execution?
- How did urbanization affect American life ? Your paper could contrast life in the city and the countryside. You can take economic, social, and health factors into account.
- How did the American landscape change during industrialization ? You might want to examine city growth and architecture.
- The invention of electricity was one of the most important events in human history. It might be compelling to wonder what side effects its implementation had.
- Why not investigate the symbolism of skyscrapers ? Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead is a fascinating source for this subject.
But wait, that’s not all of it. We’ve got more, including topics on American history since 1877:
- Did the situation for freedmen improve after Reconstruction?
- How did industrialization affect African Americans?
- Discuss what consequences the Compromise of 1877 had.
- The role of transportation during industrialization.
- How does an assembly line work?
- The invention of the automobile.
- Describe in what ways mass production affected American society.
- What was the Panic of 1873?
- Long-term effects of Plessy v. Ferguson.
- How did the Freedmen’s Bureau help former slaves?
- Why did rebuilding the South prove so difficult?
- Debate the effects of the print revolution on American society.
- What was the primary goal of Reconstruction?
- How did the Reconstruction Act affect politics in the South?
- What caused the formation of Radical Republicans?
- The transformation of leisure in late 19 th century America.
- Analyze why landownership was a crucial issue in establishing African American equality.
- Was President Johnson’s attempted impeachment in 1868 justified?
- How did the US government help exacerbate the wealth gap in the late 19 th century?
- What changes did transcontinental railroad transportation bring?
- How did John D. Rockefeller influence the American economy?
- The role of oil in industrializing America.
- Discuss the relevance of the Great Upheaval.
- Changing gender roles in times of urbanization.
- Industrialization and Education: obstacles and opportunities for women and African Americans.
- Analyze how industrialization and urbanization in the USA challenged old values.
- How did the American newspaper business change in the 19 th century?
- The impact of sensationalism on the American public.
- Why did steel become such a crucial material during the late 1800s?
- What caused the Reconstruction Era to come to an end?
- How did contemporary cartoons attempt to depict the mood during Reconstruction?
- What problems did Ulysses S. Grant have to face with his administration?
- Compare and contrast reconstruction measures in various states.
- Why did cities become increasingly attractive for America’s rural population in the 19 th century?
- Examine the significance of the Slaughterhouse Cases.
- Determine the difference between Presidential Reconstruction and Radical Reconstruction?
- From the black code to Jim Crow: institutionalized racism in the southern states.
- The combined rise of populism and imperialism in the 1800s.
- Discuss the significance of regional differences during industrialization.
- The impact of labor unions on the American work environment.
🗽 20th Century US History Topics to Write About
By the turn of the century, the US was a significant global player. Events such as the Great Depression affected the whole world. In addition, American contributions to the arts changed the cultural sphere forever. If you’re looking for modern US history thematic essay topics, this section is for you.
Just 13.00 10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
- Why did the “final frontier” gain such importance in the 20 th century ? Your essay could examine if the space race was an extension of Manifest Destiny.
- How did the Titanic’s sinking influence innovation and safety regulations ? The ship was the biggest and most technologically advanced ocean liner at the time. Carrying over 2000 passengers, it sank on its maiden voyage. Investigating its legacy might yield fascinating results.
- How did progressivism shape the political landscape in America at the turn of the century ? In the early 1900s, the USA was almost a different country than it was 50 years prior. How did this happen? And who were the leading figures of this process?
- Are you curious about the development of American workplace laws? Write about the consequences of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire .
- If you’re into corporate history, look into the rise and fall of America’s formerly largest retailer, Sears .
- The real William Randolph Hearst vs. his portrayal in David Fincher’s Mank . This topic allows you to combine film theory and the history of American journalism.
- The impact of Citizen Kane on movies around the globe . To this day, Citizen Kane is considered one of the most influential films ever made. In a paper on the 1941 masterpiece, you can focus on what made it special. Which features are still prominent in cinema today?
- How did the eugenics movement affect American society? You might want to investigate marriage laws or forced sterilizations.
- Consequences of the Spanish-American War . The brief battle didn’t last long, but its impact was immense. Your essay could highlight the war as a stepping stone to making the US a global power.
- Escalating racial violence: The Rosewood Massacre. In 1923, the entire town of Rosewood, Florida, was wiped out by white aggressors. How did racial tensions get so far?
Haven’t found anything yet? Here are some other American history thesis topics for you to explore:
- The impact of the Cold War on the American economy.
- What caused the Great Depression ?
- Ellis Island as a beacon of hope for immigrants and refugees.
- The transformation of the American school system in the 1920s.
- What were pop art’s main concepts?
- Moral vs. political considerations during the annexation of Hawaii.
- Who were the Social Gospel preachers?
- John Dewey’s role in advancing education.
- What sources fueled American progressivism?
- Trace the timeline of Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency.
- What was laissez-faire capitalism?
- How did President Woodrow Wilson reform businesses?
- A dive into the speakeasy culture.
- How did the widespread availability of cars impact American dating life?
- Prohibition: reasons and consequences.
- Connecting arts and civil rights: The Harlem Renaissance .
- Al Capone and the rise of organized crime in the 1920s.
- What was the New Deal, and why was it necessary?
- How did FDR’s “Alphabet Agencies” help the economy after the Great Depression?
- Explore the funding of the UN.
- Discuss the significance of the Berlin Airlift.
- Screen rebels: how James Dean and Marlon Brando changed American cinema forever.
- Find a connection between McCarthyism and the Salem Witch Trials .
- How did affordable television perpetuate the idea of the ideal American family?
- Analyze the political consequences of the Watergate scandal.
- A new American culture: variety shows in the 1950s.
- The origins of Rock’n’roll.
- What caused the US to slide into inflation in the 1970s?
- Counterculture literature in the middle of the century: The Beat Generation.
- The aftermath of the Vietnam War.
- What made John F. Kennedy a popular president?
- The development of Hippie culture in the 1960s.
- Reproductive rights and the rise of American feminism in the late 20 th century.
- Intertwining show-business and government: Ronald Reagan’s presidency .
- Outline the tactical maneuvers of Operation Desert Storm.
- How did MTV revolutionize the music industry?
- Why did drug use become an existential problem in America during the 1970s and 80s?
- American environmental reform policies from 1960 to 1980.
- ’70s fashion as a social and political statement in the US.
- How did the sexual revolution redefine American social life?
🔫 Topics about America in World Wars I & II
America during the World Wars is an engaging writing prompt. But it may be too broad for an essay. That’s why it makes sense to narrow your focus. Which area do you find most interesting about the subject? For example, you can choose between culture, economy, technology, and, of course, the military.
- Repressions and progress went hand in hand in the postwar US. Writing about the impact of WWI on domestic American politics would give you various directions to research.
- President Woodrow Wilson was against entering the war until 1917. What events led the US to break its neutrality?
- Many Germans of the time called the Treaty of Versailles a “dictate of shame.” It is often considered a significant reason for World War II. What was the US’ position on the Treaty of Versailles?
- After WWI, America followed isolationist politics. Until 1941, when they declared war on Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Could the USA have stayed out of WWII?
- How did WWII affect the American economy ? Think about military needs and rationing.
- President Woodrow Wilson was a fierce supporter of the League of Nations. But congress coerced him not to have the USA join. Should America have become a member of this organization ?
- How did American civilians contribute to the war effort? Your essay can focus specifically on women. Be sure to examine new arrangements in daily life.
- If you’re more into art, why not analyze how the world wars influenced American art ?
- WWII changed all aspects of American life, including their diet. What new methods of food preservation emerged during that time?
- Another fascinating topic to engage in is propaganda and advertisement in the US during WWII . Your focus might lie on how they targeted different members of society.
Don’t forget to read the rest of our topics on this issue:
- Evaluate Woodrow Wilson’s 14 points program.
- How did the American army recruitment work in WWII?
- “Kilroy was here”: examine where the mysterious slogan comes from.
- Outline the history of Japanese Americans in American internment camps.
- US spies: where and how did they operate?
- The Manhattan Project: trace the making of the atomic bomb .
- How did migration shape American society in the 1930s and ‘40s?
- The notion of freedom in America before, during, and after the wars.
- What role did communication play for the military in WWI vs. WWII?
- Canadian-American relations during WWII.
- How did the wars spur transportation developments in the US?
- Discuss the significance of D-Day.
- Could the allies have won WWII without the USA?
- Why did America emerge as a “Global Policeman” after the world wars?
- The effects of National Socialism in America.
- In what ways does the outcome of WWII still influence American society today?
- Compare and contrast military strategies in Europe vs. the Pacific.
- Was the dropping of the atomic bomb necessary?
- After the Little Boy’s devastating results, why did the American government decide to drop Fat Man?
- What made the Zimmerman telegram such a central document for American war participation?
- What happened to prisoner-of-war camps in the US after the fighting was over?
- Compare the leadership styles of Franklin D. Roosevelt in WWII and Woodrow Wilson in WWI.
- Why did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor ?
- What methods did the American government use to conceal their operations?
- Growing up in the ‘40s: how did the war impact the manufacture of toys?
- Which medical advancements were helpful to American soldiers in WWII that didn’t yet exist in WWI?
- How did the 1940s fashion in the USA reflect the global situation?
- Did the two world wars change the civil rights situation for African Americans? If so, how?
- How did the war affect employment in the US?
- What was unique about the Higgins boats?
- The role of submarines in WWI.
- How did America cooperate with the allied forces in Europe in WWI?
- Discuss how the American public reacted to being drawn into WWI vs. WWII.
- Did anyone in the US profit from the wars? If so, who?
- Describe how American families changed during WWII.
- What stories do letters that soldiers sent to their families back home tell?
- Joseph Heller’s depiction of World War II in the novel Catch-22 .
- Compare and contrast memory culture concerning WWII in Russia vs. the USA.
- How did the perception of America on the global stage change after World War I?
- The role of women in the US military.
☮️ Essay Topics About the Civil Rights Movement
The struggle for African American equality finally intensified in the 1950s and 60s. Influential figures such as Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks emerged. Their resilience inspired countless others. Seventy years later, the fight is far from over. The rights of minorities and people of color are still a crucial topic in American society today.
- Nine months before the Montgomery Bus Boycott, Claudette Colvin refused to give up her seat to a white woman. Yet, Rosa Parks is the one commonly associated with sparking the event. Why is Claudette Colvin often ignored in history?
- Everybody knows Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr , but who were the Civil Rights Movement’s lesser-known figures? Start your research with Aurelia Browder and Susie McDonald.
- Which concepts and themes can you find in Martin Luther King Jr. ’s I Have A Dream speech ? One idea is to focus on how he expresses hope and freedom for black Americans.
- Which committees and organizations were central to the Civil Rights Movement’s success ? Discuss the roles of the SNCC, CORE, and NAACP.
- What makes Malcolm X a controversial figure ? Be sure to mention his nationalist ideas and membership in the Nation of Islam.
- The Little Rock Nine: what made their integration into Little Rock Central High School difficult? In your research paper, you can write about harassment issues and military intervention.
- What did the Civil Rights Act of 1957 change? On the one hand, you can talk about the history of voter rights. On the other, you might want to investigate how the public reacted to the new law.
- If you prefer personal stories, you can trace Ruby Bridges’ experiences. She became famous as the first black person to go to an all-white school. She’s still alive today.
- History can be ugly. If you’re not afraid to encounter violence during your research, check out the Freedom Rides. How did they help attract international attention to the Civil Rights Movement ?
- Consequences of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination . Did the movement die with him? How did the government respond?
Are you curious for more? Have a look at these prompts:
- Compare the modern Black Lives Matter movement with the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.
- What did the Black Panthers party achieve?
- The best way to teach about the Civil Rights Movement in 8 th grade.
- What happened at the Greensboro sit-ins?
- Why did the civil rights activists encounter so much violence , even though they mostly protested peacefully?
- Compare and contrast Gandhi’s methods and those of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Why was Bloody Sunday a crucial moment for the Civil Rights Movement?
- What was the “long, hot summer”?
- Examine the creation of the Kerner Commission.
- The role of students in advancing civil rights for African Americans.
- What rights did black Americans gain through the Civil Rights Movement?
- Describe the Nation of Islam’s goals.
- Who were the members of the Black Panther Party ?
- What distinguishes the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s from previous movements to establish more rights for African Americans?
- Give a brief overview of the most important Supreme Court decisions concerning the struggle for equality.
- The importance of the church for the Civil Rights Movement.
- Compare the effects of various marches for freedom.
- What made Martin Luther King Jr. a great leader for the movement?
- How did the murder of Emmett Till affect the public’s view on segregation and racism?
- How did the press support or hinder the Civil Rights Movement?
- Loving v. Virginia: legacy and contemporary significance.
- What did the notion of “miscegenation” entail?
- What were the Jim Crow laws?
- Describe the goals and achievements of Operation Breadbasket.
- Who was Stokely Carmichael?
- Analyze Ralph Abernathy’s autobiography And the Walls Came Tumbling Down . Why do some people consider it controversial?
- Debate the criticism brought up against the Congress of Racial Equality.
- Why did some civil rights activists in the 1960s radicalize?
- Did the election of Barack Obama mark the end of the struggle for equal rights?
- Discuss the success of the Baton Rouge bus boycott.
- What events led to Lyndon B. Johnson’s signing of the Voting Rights Act?
- Examine Coretta Scott King’s career after her husband’s passing.
- Investigate conspiracy theories concerning James Earl Ray’s role in the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.
- The publishing and writing process of Malcolm X’s autobiography .
- How and why did the 2020 election undermine parts of the Voting Rights Act?
- Is studying the Civil Rights Movement still relevant today? If so, why?
- How did CORE help desegregate schools in Chicago?
- Who is Jesse Jackson?
- Contemporary commemoration of the Civil Rights Movement.
- How did John F. Kennedy’s death impact the Civil Rights Movement?
💬 Debatable US History Topics to Research
Controversy has been a constant companion of American history. And it’s not only questionable segregation practices that are up for debate. Women’s and LGBT rights, as well as welfare programs, are issues still unresolved today. If you want argumentative or persuasive essay topics about American history, check out this section.
- Memories are always socially constructed. “ How do various communities around the US perceive monuments of slaveholders?” is an engaging question to explore in your essay.
- In 1995, an exhibition at the Smithsonian centered around the Enola Gay sparked a nationwide controversy. Critics said the exhibit focused too much on the Japanese suffering the nuclear bomb dropped from the aircraft caused. Was that criticism justified?
- In the past, Colonial Williamsburg’s issues with slavery were often overlooked. Instead, when creating and developing the historical site, the focus lay on its democratic values. Is Colonial Williamsburg still a good place to learn about American history ?
- What does the Liberty Bell stand for today? You can include recent and older controversies surrounding the location and custody of the bell.
- Tracing the history of LGBT rights will yield many debatable insights. Which court decisions would you consider especially controversial, and why?
- The legacy of the Centralia massacre in 1919 : are the events linked to the Red Scare ? How did the town try to obscure the truth?
- In 1887, President Eisenhower supported a campaign to promote patriotism. Part of this was the addition of “under God” to the American Pledge of Allegiance. Analyze the debates surrounding the issue.
- The history of prostitution laws in the US. Your thesis could suggest a connection between decriminalizing sex work and the workers’ wellbeing.
- In the 2020 election, several states voted to legalize not only marijuana but also other drugs. History shows many movements to legalize recreational drug use. What was different now?
- Many older Disney cartoons depict racist stereotypes. The question of adjusting them to modern values sparked much debate. Using this discussion to explore how America should deal with problematic media from the past might be promising.
Keep reading and discover more controversial United States history topics.
- Did President Barack Obama deserve his Nobel Peace Prize?
- What did the US gain from the Iraq War ?
- Would Germany have won WWII without America’s intervention?
- Should the presidents of the previous century have done more to promote animal rights?
- Given its historical context, should we keep celebrating Thanksgiving?
- Why did it take so long for American women to achieve legally equal rights ?
- Find historical reasons why the US never instituted universal healthcare.
- The necessity of cow’s milk in America: past vs. present.
- Was the annexation of Puerto Rico justified?
- Did the Chicano Movement achieve positive changes for Mexican Americans?
- John F. Kennedy’s most controversial presidential actions.
- The ratification of the 8 th amendment.
- Was the government’s response to 9/11 justified?
- The role of faith in American history before 1877 and after.
- Who or what caused the US’ drug overdose epidemic ?
- HIV/AIDS denialism in America in the 1990s.
- What should Locust Grove do to restore its deteriorating African American cemetery? Can the place be considered a historical site?
- Why did some states introduce felon disenfranchisement in 1792? Did the new law spark any outrage?
- Trace the historical timeline of the same-sex marriage debate .
- The USA has always been a country of immigrants. How did this lead to immigration being a fiercely discussed topic nowadays?
- How did the US contribute to the current instability in the Middle East?
- Was the “Lost Generation” reckless?
- How do US historians influence public opinion?
- Does the Red Scare reflect on Russian-American relations today?
- Should Bill Clinton have stayed in office?
- Discuss the benefits of being a hippie in the 60s.
- Can the members of the Beat Generation serve as role models for travel enthusiasts today?
- Roe v. Wade: what made the court case a turning point in the fight for women’s reproductive rights?
- Did American feminism become too radical by the late 19 th century?
- The rise and fall of DDT: Why was it allowed in the first place?
- What should US history education for high school students look like?
- From a historical perspective, does the reality in Watchmen seem like a likely scenario for the future?
- Psychiatric methods in early 1900s America.
- The role of performance-enhancing drugs in the history of American sports achievements.
- Why do some people believe that the moon landing was staged?
- Criticism against Ayn Rand’s objectivism and its influence.
- Before opening America’s first women’s hospital, gynecologist J. Marion Sims experimented on slaves. Should he still be celebrated as the ‘father’ of modern gynecology?
- Is the notion of “American Century” accurate?
- American exceptionalism in the 20 th century vs. now.
- Has technological innovation always been beneficial for the American public?
✊🏿 Black History Topics for an Essay
African American experiences are still very different than those of their white compatriots. That’s why it’s crucial to analyze people of color’s perspectives of and contributions to history. Black history includes thematic topics on education, society, and culture.
- Steve McQueen’s 12 Years A Slave adapts the 1853 memoirs of Solomon Northup. Though the film doesn’t shy away from brutal images, critics argued it was too soft. Should film writers surrender accurate historical representation to make their content more accessible?
- After the Civil War, slavery was officially banned in the US. Still, the South continued to find ways to exploit black labor. Examine the consequences of new methods such as convict leasing and sharecropping.
- Many of those who opposed slavery complied with the system by staying silent or inactive. What did this mean for the reality of African Americans? Why didn’t these people stand up?
- A paper on what caused the Red Summer of 1919 can focus on the South to North migration of African Americans during WWI.
- In the 20 th century, the Great Migration relocated many African Americans. How did this event impact the development of black culture? Your paper could concentrate on art movements or political activism.
- The GI Bill promised financial benefits to veterans. But former black soldiers didn’t profit as much as their white compatriots. To analyze a concrete example of racist inequality, you can write about how the GI Bill affected African American veterans.
- For decades, American universities did their best to keep African Americans from receiving higher education. How is education inequality still impacting black students today?
- After WWI, Tulsa was a prosperous city home to the so-called “Black Wall Street.” Then the Tulsa Race Massacre happened, and the area was left in shambles. Explore the moving history of Tulsa’s Greenwood District.
- Do you want to investigate the powerful interplay between cinema and reality? Dedicate your essay to the connection between D.W. Griffith’s 1915 picture The Birth of a Nation and the Ku Klux Klan’s revival. What did this mean for black lives in the early 20 th century?
- Pan-Africanism in the United States: Marcus Garvey and the Universal Negro Improvement Association . Writing about this topic, you might want to highlight African American nationalism in the 20 th century.
Are none of these prompts for you? Don’t worry; we’ve got more African American history paper topics for college students:
- Booker T. Washington vs. W. E. B. Du Bois : similarities and disagreements.
- African American innovators who never received credit for their inventions.
- From Hiram Rhodes Revels and Shirley Chisholm to Barack Obama: African Americans who paved the way for modern American democracy.
- Should the US government pay reparations to descendants of former slaves?
- Sojourner Truth : how did the former slave fight to end injustice?
- How did job competition in the North intensify racial tensions in the 20 th century?
- The accomplishments of Dorothy Johnson Vaughan.
- Ida B. Wells’ legacy and the history of lynching in America.
- Why do we celebrate Black History Month, and why is it important?
- What does Juneteenth commemorate?
- Histories of the most famous black scientists in the United States.
- How did the geographic distribution of black people in America transform over time?
- Key activists of the abolitionist movement.
- How did African Americans contribute to NASA’s success?
- African Americans in the age of Prohibition: views and effects.
- Juxtapose the development of black rights and felon rights.
- Analyze the significance of Marian Anderson’s show on the National Mall for the Civil Rights Movement.
- African American women in the beauty business: the story of Madame C. J. Walker.
- What motivated many black Americans to fight in WWI voluntarily?
- How did enslaved people manage to escape to the Northern states?
- Compare the origins and outcomes of the Civil Rights Movement’s various marches.
- The New Deal’s effect on African Americans.
- Explore the connection between black history in the US and cotton .
- What does the term “black flight” mean, and why might the phenomenon be a problem?
- How did white capping inhibit the development of black communities?
- What were the goals of the Che Lumumba Club?
- Analyze the Regents of the University of California v. Bakke case. What did its outcome mean for equality?
- What makes Angela Davis a crucial figure in the black history discourse?
- Analyze how Jackie Robinson broke the “color line” to pave the way for African American participation in professional sports.
- Discuss the long-term consequences of the Tuskegee experiment.
- How did the Watts Riots affect African American communities in California?
- Explore the origins of Kwanzaa.
- African American poetry before 1877: Lucy Terry’s Bars Fight .
- Not so free after all: enactment of the Fugitive Slave Law.
- Did the situation for American people of color improve after the implementation of Affirmative Action laws ? If so, how?
- Trailblazing black Americans in education.
- How did sports help promote equality for African Americans in the 1900s?
- Who were the Scottsboro boys?
- Journalism’s fight for social justice: The Crisis magazine then and now.
- How did Prohibition help dissolve segregation?
🏞️ Native American Topics to Write About
Much effort has gone into improving the relations between Americans and the indigenous peoples. Unfortunately, this hasn’t always been the case. The history of native Americans is tainted with cruel battles. Taking a closer look reveals the interplay of various cultures and customs.
- Pocahontas is one of the most renowned figures in Native American history. Compare Pocahontas’ real life vs. how she is depicted in the media . Why was she often romanticized?
- How did Andrew Jackson’s government justify the Indian Removal Act ? Moral standards during that time and economic reasoning might be a compelling area to focus on.
- Native American participation in American wars . The colonists fought many battles with each other. France, Spain, and England all competed for the new territory. Did Native Americans participate in these fights? If so, whose side were they on?
- African peoples were not the only ones who suffered serfdom. Your research paper could cover the colonial enslavement of Native Americans.
- In the 18 th century, settlers and natives negotiated a variety of treaties. What did they say? Were these treaties ever beneficial for the natives?
- The Indian Appropriations Act of 1851 organized Native American lives into reservations. What did life look like for natives in these reservations? Additionally, you could examine how reservations affect their lives today.
- Attempts to deal with Native Americans included assimilation and “civilization.” How did these methods work out? For a concrete example, investigate Henry Pratt’s Carlisle Indian Industrial school.
- If you want to know more about Indian belief systems, research the emergence of the Ghost Dance. Originating in the late 19 th century, many native communities adapted the new tradition.
- Geronimo escaped captivity countless times before turning himself in. How did he do that ? Your essay can look at his beliefs and this geographical knowledge.
- The Narragansett was the first tribe to encounter European settlers. What were their relations? How did they develop? Consider territorial struggles and the role of Roger Williams.
Are you looking for something else? Check out these US history essay questions and prompts:
- Compare and contrast American and Australian historical relations to their native population.
- What events led to the breakout of King Philip’s War?
- Ancient Indian burial rituals and modern myths.
- How did the Cherokees rebuild their lives after the Trail of Tears?
- Sacagawea’s contribution to the success of the Lewis and Clark expedition.
- Great Native American leaders: Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull.
- What happened at the Battle of the Little Bighorn?
- Consequences for Native American lives after the proclamation of 1763.
- The crucial role of Navajo Code Talkers in WWII.
- How did integration into American culture transform tribal life for different tribes?
- Explore naming customs of various Native American tribes.
- Is Black Elk Speaks an accurate representation of Lakota culture?
- What did the American Indian Movement achieve?
- What makes the Massacre of Wounded Knee significant?
- Trace Leonard Peltier’s career in politics and activism.
- Chief Tecumseh and the Indian confederacy.
- Compare and contrast the cultures of native tribes from various regions in America before colonization.
- How did American policies regarding the indigenous population change from the Mayflower’s arrival until now?
- What happened to California’s extensive Native American population after it became a state?
- The development of Native American music.
- Traditional Cherokee farming tools and techniques.
- Native Americans and religion: what compelled some chiefs to convert to Christianity?
- How did N. Scott Momaday’s House Made of Dawn shape indigenous cultures’ image for the general public?
- How did native spiritualism relate to the environment?
- Gender roles of the Sioux tribe before 1900.
- The greatest battles between First Nations and Americans.
- Why were the Choctaw, Chickasaw, Creek, Seminole, and Cherokee considered the “Five Civilized Tribes”?
- America’s first native newspaper: The Cherokee Phoenix and its modern equivalent.
- How did many of today’s Native Americans become entangled with alcohol and gambling?
- Myths and speculations on the ancient origins of indigenous Americans.
- Economic development of Native American tribes in the 20 th century.
- Why did Cochise and his Apache warriors raid American settlements?
- Trace the history of indigenous feminism.
- What were the blood quantum laws, and why were they introduced?
- Sitting Bull and Buffalo Bill: forging an unlikely friendship.
- The accomplishments of Oglala Lakota chief Red Cloud.
- How did the Louisiana Purchase impact First Nations in the region?
- The history of Native Americans in law and politics.
- The political aftermath of the Sand Creek Massacre
- Cheyenne warrior societies: the emergence of Dog Soldiers as a separate band.
⭐ Topics on Famous People in American History
People shape history. Many of America’s leading historical figures made it to global importance. This section provides you with history essay topics on American artists, presidents, innovators, and more.
- The “King of Pop” Michael Jackson died a decade ago. Why is he still one of the most debated American celebrities? Your essay could focus on the controversial allegations of child abuse towards him.
- The social influence of Benjamin Franklin’s journalism is an enticing topic. It allows you to look at the founding father from a different angle. Make sure to include in your essay his desire to educate Americans in morality.
- John Harvey Kellogg was a progressive healthcare leader. He was also a fierce follower of Adventism. If you endorse obscure things, write about Kellogg’s “warfare with passion .”
- Mural made Jackson Pollock famous. Reflect on his career before and after the painting . How did the artist find his passion for drip painting?
- As a First Lady, Betty Ford was a strong advocate for women’s rights. But her political influence didn’t end with her husband’s career. Discuss Betty Ford’s accomplishments after her time in the White House. Mention her addiction and the subsequent establishment of the Betty Ford Center.
- In 1935, J. Edgar Hoover founded the FBI. In his later years, he became a controversial figure due to his abuses of power. Examine Hoover’s investigations of subversion. What do you find surprising about them?
- Before his brother’s assassination, Bobby Kennedy wasn’t particularly popular in the US. Analyze his speeches during his political career after the event . What made him a compassionate orator?
- The Kennedy-Nixon debates provide a rich foundation for those interested in political campaigning. How did the public react to them? What did the polls say? Keep in mind that it was America’s first televised presidential debate.
- If you seek to combine environmentalism and politics, Al Gore is your man. How did Al Gore shape America’s political discourse in the 2000s? Consider his loss against George Bush in the controversial 2000 election.
- Literature enthusiasts know Allen Ginsberg for his explicit poem Howl . How did he express his political and social activism in his works? You could focus on his fight for free speech and the Howl trial.
We’ve got more topics on regents and other famous Americans for you to check out:
- Just Say No: Nancy Reagan and the failure of her anti-drug campaign.
- Why was Abraham Lincoln such a controversial figure?
- Kurt Cobain and Nirvana: the voice of the ‘90s youth.
- Ronald Reagan was an actor before he became president. What drove him into politics?
- What circumstances made Donald Trump’s presidency possible?
- Why was Jimmy Carter such an unpopular president?
- Discuss what Eleanor Roosevelt achieved for women.
- Stanley Kubrick: was he the greatest filmmaker of the 20 th century?
- The role of First Ladies before the Civil War.
- Judith Butler’s influence on American feminism.
- Margaret Sanger: the initiator of the birth control movement.
- How did Oprah Winfrey get to where she is now?
- Steve Jobs and the revolution of computer technology.
- Research the mysterious Zodiac Killer and his ciphers. Why were many people obsessed with him?
- How did the Wright Brothers shape the history of aviation?
- Amelia Earhart’s disappearance: myths and facts.
- J. Robert Oppenheimer’s contributions to physics.
- Bruce Lee and the transformation of martial arts.
- How did O.J. Simpson end up in the US’ most famous car chase?
- Charles Goodyear and the road to vulcanized rubber.
- Creating nanotechnology: the legacy of Eric Drexler.
- Muhammad Ali’s influence on raising awareness for Parkinson’s research.
- Describe how Bobby Fischer impacted the world of chess.
- What made Chuck Norris so famous?
- How did Marilyn Monroe change the American attitude towards sexuality?
- Truman Capote’s role in advancing LGBT rights.
- Harper Lee’s biography after the publishing of To Kill A Mockingbird .
- Transforming science fiction: the legacy of Philip K. Dick.
- Andy Warhol as a global anti-capitalist icon.
- Bringing quantum physics forward: the brilliance of Richard Feynman.
- Samuel Colt and the consequences of inventing the revolver.
- Analyze the significance of Helen Keller’s work for women’s and disabled persons’ rights.
- How did Sam Walton become the wealthiest American in 1985?
- Discuss the importance of Thurgood Marshall for the Civil Rights Movement.
- What inspired Bill W. to found Alcoholics Anonymous?
- Paving the way for gay politicians: the activism of Harvey Milk.
- What was Louis B. Mayer’s management style with MGM?
- Walt Disney: who was the person behind the chipper cartoons?
- Trace Estée Lauder’s success story.
- How did Olympia Brown contribute to advance gender equality in the religious sphere?
We hope you found your ideal essay or project topic on US history. Good luck with your assignment!
- Americanism Essay: Examples, Tips & Topics [2023 Update]
- 497 Interesting History Topics to Research
460 Excellent Political Topics to Write about in 2023
- 149 Interesting History Essay Topics and Events to Write about
- A List of 450 Powerful Social Issues Essay Topics
- 210 Immigration Essay Topics
- A List of 175 Interesting Cultural Topics to Write About
- 512 Research Topics on HumSS (Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Pre-Columbian to the New Millenium: US History
- A Brief Guide to Writing the History Paper: Harvard
- American Civil War: History.com
- Reconstruction: Encyclopedia Britannica
- Industrialization and Urbanization in the United States: Oxford Research Encyclopedias
- The United States in WWI: Khan Academy
- America Goes to War: The National WWII Museum
- Controversies: National Council on Public History
- The 100 Most Significant Americans of All Time: Smithsonian Magazine
- American History: History Central
- The 25 Moments From American History That Matter Right Now: Time
- All Topics: American Historical Association
- Native American: Library of Congress
- African American History: National Archives
- Civil Rights Movement: ADL
- US 20th Century: Princeton University
- The Progressive Era: Lumen Learning
- Timeline: United States History: World Digital Library
- Explore by Timeline: The New Nation (1783-1860): US General Services Administration
- The Emergence of Modern America: Smithsonian Institution
- What Was the Cold War?: National Geographic
- The Story of the Atomic Bomb: The Ohio State University
- Continental Feminism: Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- The Constitution: The White House
- The US During World War I: Delaware.gov
- America in the First World War: The British Library
- Key Events and Figures of Reconstruction: The City University of New York
- Reconstruction and Its Impact: IDCA
- 400 Years since Slavery: a Timeline of American History: The Guardian
- American Revolution Facts: American Battlefield Trust
- The Presidents of the United States: Constitution Facts
- What Caused the American Industrial Revolution: Investopedia
- Reasons Behind the Revolutionary War: NCpedia
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
Recommended for You
If you have an assignment in politics, look no further—this article will help you ace your paper. Here, you will find a list of unique political topics to write about compiled by our custom writing team. But that’s not all of it! Keep reading if you want to: See how to tackle political essay topics in your paper; Choose a topic that will be interesting for you to research; Refresh your knowledge of essential political concepts. Now, without further ado, let’s get started! Below, you’ll find political topics and questions for your task. 🔝 Top 10...
300 Interesting Nutrition Topics to Research
It’s not a secret that our health largely depends on nutrition. A balanced and wholesome diet improves our immune system. It lowers the risk of getting sick and makes us more productive. But if we don’t eat right, our overall well-being and performance worsen. You see, nutrition topics are more...
A List of 470 Powerful Social Issues Essay Topics
In modern societies, people do everything to live peacefully. Still, tensions often arise. We call them social issues when they start negatively impacting a specific group of people. Poverty, discrimination, and addiction are examples of such problems. We need to confront them to ensure equal treatment for everyone.
220 Pop Culture Topics for an A+ Essay
There are many ways to define popular culture. Here’s one of them: pop culture includes mainstream preferences in society within a specific time frame. It covers fashion, music, language, and even food. Pop culture is always evolving, engaging in new trends, and leaving the old ones behind.
500 Sociology Questions and Topics [Examples & Tips]
Sociology is a study that focuses on people’s interactions. It looks at structures and changes in social life. Any situation involving people can become a topic of sociology. This article is designed to help high school and college students with sociology assignments. Whether you’re writing an essay, creating a presentation,...
590 Unique Controversial Topics & Tips for a Great Essay
Controversial issues are the ones that evoke a variety of opinions. They often cause heated debates. And, as you can guess, controversial research topics are not easy to handle. Luckily, we’ve got you covered. This article will: help you pick a controversial question for your essay;provide you a list of...
- Research Paper Guides
- Research Paper Topics
250 Interesting History Research Paper Topics
- Speech Topics
- Basics of Essay Writing
- Essay Topics
- Other Essays
- Main Academic Essays
- Basics of Research Paper Writing
- Chicago/ Turabian
- Data & Statistics
- Admission Writing Tips
- Admission Advice
- Other Guides
- Student Life
- Studying Tips
- Understanding Plagiarism
- Academic Writing Tips
- Basics of Dissertation & Thesis Writing
- Essay Guides
- Formatting Guides
- Basics of Research Process
- Admission Guides
- Dissertation & Thesis Guides
Table of contents
Use our free Readability checker
People often say that time travel is impossible. I beg to differ. Did you know that researching historical events can be regarded as time traveling? Because you will get more information about events as if you were there. Most university and college students in the United States consider writing history papers uninteresting. Some of their negative opinions stem from inability to come up with unique and fascinating historical research topics. If you have a history assignment and are stuck on finding a suitable title that can guarantee you success, you are in the right place. Our research paper writers for hire have compiled various history research paper topics that can inspire your essays. Select from different interesting topics in history to research and write on. Apart from giving you 250 research themes, this article also explains what these topics are, their characteristics, and how to choose them.
What Are History Research Paper Topics?
History research paper topics refer to titles that explore past times, events, and the evolution of cultures and traditions. As a branch of more broad social science research topics , they evaluate social, political, scientific, and economic developments that humans have made since the beginning of time. History research topics majorly focus on recorded and unrecorded past events and times. The theme you choose for your research paper or thesis will guide your overall content. You may be provided with history paper topics by lecturers or professors in your school or required to come up with one of your own. In this case, we have got a huge list for your selection.
Characteristics of Good History Research Topics
Before writing any history paper, you should come up with or select a suitable title. Choosing good history topics to research is a challenging task. As a scholar, you may falter at this stage and pick a topic that is unsuitable for your paper, which eventually affects your grade. Since we want to make it easy for you, we will provide a checklist of characteristics to look out for when selecting titles for your essay. Good topics for a history research paper should be:
How to Choose a History Research Topic?
Unless you are provided with a title to write on, most times, you will be required to come up with your research topics in history. Generally, this is a broad subject covering different areas. As a result, it may be a tedious task for you to try and select a suitable research topic for history paper. However, do not worry because we will present a series of steps to guide you in choosing a title for your essay. Follow this procedure when you want to pick historical topics to write about:
- Brainstorm ideas and determine the best one.
- Evaluate all background information that has been provided.
- Focus on issues that are interesting to you.
- Create a keyword list or an outline for your topic.
- Be flexible in your research.
- Ensure all titles meet assignment requirements.
List of History Topics to Research
To succeed in your essays, it is vital to come up with good research topics for history. Therefore, you should select unique and interesting historical topics to research. Below are examples of best history research paper topics:
- What were major impacts of slave trade in Europe?
- Historical development of the industrial revolution.
- Factors that promoted construction of pyramids in Egypt.
- Negative consequences of World Wars on the global economy.
- Effects of the American Civil War on people’s ways of life.
- Historical origin of the American Revolution.
- Impacts of European scramble for and partition of Africa.
- Factors that led to the US-Mexico war in 1846.
- Major reasons why the Soviet Union collapsed.
- Expressionist movement and its impacts on modern art.
The following list offers everyone what they need. If not, ask our experts for a piece of advice or generate a title to your liking with our Topic Generator .
Interesting History Topics to Research
There are many interesting history research paper topics that you can write on. However, we strive to provide you with the best. We have compiled a list of most interesting history topics for you to pick:
- What processes were taken in abolishing slave trade?
- Queen Elizabeth: A historical background of how she came to power.
- Factors that led to Americans going into Civil War.
- Main uses of money in ancient Greece.
- Science that led to discovery of polio vaccines.
- Key facts about the American Revolution.
- Assassination attempts on US Presidents in the last 70 years.
- Effects of child labor during the Puritan era.
- Major roles played by America during World War I.
- What factors made the Titanic sink?
- Environmental impacts of industrial revolution.
- What economic role did women play during the Great Depression?
- How did the Germantown Battle start?
- What influenced the Spanish-American War ?
- Roles played by religious leaders during the Aztec era.
Good History Research Paper Topics
Apart from interesting titles, there are also good topics for history research paper that can guarantee you high grades in your paper. Below is a list of good history paper topics:
- Historical origin of the Roman Empire.
- What tactics were used by Greeks in their win against Persians?
- Famous war strategies employed by Alexander the Great in his conquest of Egypt.
- What lesson can we learn from construction and implementation of the Great Wall of China?
- Most successful attacks by Julius Caesar on Great Britain.
- Hun's first invasion of Europe: An analysis of its success.
- Challenges faced by Mohammed in his journey from Mecca to Medina.
- Impacts of Aristotle’s philosophical ideas in today’s world.
- First Greek Olympiad and its legacy.
- Famous African American soldiers during the Civil War.
- Achievements of Genghis Khan in Asia.
- Russia-Ukraine war: Origin of this conflict.
- Challenges faced by the American army in Vietnam.
- Economic implications of Versailles Treaty on European nations.
- Major causes of World War II.
Unique Historical Research Topics
To stand out from other scholars, you ought to have unique history research topics. To get you there, we have provided history topics to write about:
- Historiography of reasons that led to World War I.
- Adoption of Rococo artistic style in architecture.
- Major environmental impacts of late Warthe retreat in central Europe.
- What political impacts did cartoons and propaganda experts have during World War II?
- What vital religious roles did sculptures play in ancient Greece?
- History of famous Christian symbols and their significance.
- Psychological significance of Kazimir Malevich's artworks.
- Origin and political importance of Dalits in India.
- How did Julius Caesar and Cleopatra’s relationship affect his leadership?
- Famous medics who played a crucial role during World War II.
- What key implications did Balkan Wars have on the European map?
- Achievements of Queen Victoria’s first year in office.
- Discovery of X-Rays: How and by who?
- Spanish Civil War: An analysis of first 100 days during the war.
- Key events that followed after Pearl Harbor was attacked.
Before you start writing a History research paper, go deep into the area you are studying and don't skip important dates. Get proficient paper help 24/7 if that sounds like a waste of time for you.
Popular History Research Topics
Your selection of research topics on history may also be driven by popularity. If that is the case, we have a list of history research paper topics for you below:
- What factors triggered the Great Depression?
- History of the Cold War.
- Black Death: Separating facts from myths.
- Greatest scientific inventions that have shaped how we communicate.
- Islamic Empire: Its origin and positive impacts.
- Hundred Year War: Economic impacts on French and English kingdoms.
- What key weapons were used during medieval warfare?
- What was life like during the Dark Ages?
- Significant events that took place during the Crusades.
- What caused the American Revolution?
- Similarities between the current economic recession and the Great Depression.
- Significance of French Revolution.
- Factors that led to slavery abolition in America.
- Roles played by women during the Civil War.
- Consequences of the Cold War in the Soviet Union.
Easy History Topics to Write About
Sometimes you are striving to beat deadlines for submitting your paper. Such times call for easy history topics to research. When you find yourself in such a situation, look at these easy historical events to write about for your inspiration:
- Major impacts of World War I.
- Key achievements of the Women's Rights Movement in the past century.
- Economic impacts of the biggest earthquake in America.
- Salem Witch Trials: Causes and impacts.
- How did the European invasion of Africa affect levels of education on the continent?
- Achievements of the Ottoman Empire.
- Apartheid in South Africa: Its social and political impacts.
- Causes of rise and fall of Roman Empire.
- Significant inventions during the Middle Ages.
- How Native Americans reacted to European invasions of their lands.
- Strategies used by the American government to overcome the Great Depression.
- How important was Pearl Harbor during World War II?
- Consequences brought by nuclear weapons in Europe.
- Common effects of Greek culture in Europe.
- Major roles played by Shogun in Japanese history.
History Research Paper Topics for Students
Most students always encounter challenges when it comes to selecting historical topics to research. Choosing the right title can make a difference between success and failure in your paper. This is why you need to have various history research questions to help you in selecting your focus area. It does not matter whether you are in middle school, high school, or college because we have a list of topics that will help you get good grades .
History Research Topics for Middle School
There are times when middle school students are required to select historical events to write about. If you find yourself in this situation, we have interesting topics in history suggested for you:
- European Middle Ages: Major challenges that were witnessed during that era.
- Gender bias roles and how they have changed over time in Britain.
- How many soldiers did America lose during World War I?
- In what ways have nuclear weapons changed the military?
- What measures were taken to abolish slavery in America?
- History of the United Kingdom monarch.
- How were enslaved people transported to America?
- Impacts of the Cold War on the European economy.
- Who were the first settlers in America?
- Agrarian revolution: Origin and impact in Europe.
- Evolution of man according to Darwin.
- Positive impacts brought by the Ottoman Empire .
- Significance of Shakespearean plays to modern theaters.
- Factors that facilitated the growth of the industrial revolution.
- How the motor industry developed in America.
History Research Topics for High School
If you are a high school student looking for research topics in history, you have arrived at the right place. Below we have compiled history project topics for you to choose from:
- Factors that promoted growth of the Byzantine Empire.
- Repercussions brought by World War II to Britain.
- History and growth of Civil Rights Movement in America.
- How did World War I cripple Germany's military power?
- Major factors that made it easy for colonies to win the American Revolution.
- Challenges faced by China in its space exploration attempts.
- Why was America reluctant to participate in World War II?
- Key benefits of the Cold War to Russia.
- Factors that led to eradicating most Native Americans’ cultural practices.
- American Wild West: Analysis of myths as portrayed by popular culture.
- History of the American constitution.
- Fight against terrorism: Its origin and development.
- Berlin Wall: Its social impacts on the people of Germany.
- Major social revolutions in Britain.
- Revolution of the internet.
History Research Paper Topics for College Students
There is a wide range of history research topics for college students. However, to achieve the highest grade, you must find the best history thesis topics for your term paper. The following is a list of the most popular American history research paper topics for college students:
- A comparison between Crusaders and Jihadists.
- Most effective farming tools that were used in Mesopotamia.
- In what ways has Japanese art influenced European cultures?
- Impacts of racial segregation on development of music industry in America.
- Major racial events that have plagued American society in the past 50 years.
- Key constitutional amendments that have taken place in the US over the last 100 years.
- How did Europeans use religion to conquer countries?
- Origin and benefits of vaccines to people.
- Significance of Marie Antoinette during the American Revolution.
- In what ways did the Medici family influence the Renaissance?
- How did communist manifesto influence European countries?
- Controversial issues surrounding Pope Alexander VI.
- Roles played by women during the Vietnam War.
- Manson family: Truths and myths surrounding them.
- Historical account of first space exploration by America.
Historical Events to Write About
Writing a history paper should be a fun affair. To make your experience worthwhile, we have different cool history topics for research papers. Selecting a theme from these classifications will make it easy for you to write a unique and interesting essay for your research. Go through these topics for history project and use any of them as sources of inspiration for your paper. When you decide on the idea, make sure to check how to write a research paper properly.
World History Research Paper Topics
One of the most fun titles to write on is interesting world history topics. Although this category is broad, you should not be confused about what to research and write because we have got you covered. Below are world history topics for research paper that you can choose:
- Significant environmental consequences of Persian Gulf War.
- Factors that contributed greatly to the fall of Aztec Civilization.
- What were the economic impacts brought by the rise of the Qing Dynasty?
- Key chain of events that led to the Russian Revolution and rise of communism.
- How did the Samurai culture greatly impact nations around Japan?
- Life and achievements of Nelson Mandela and his struggle to liberate South Africa from colonial rule.
- Major reasons why the Great Wall of China was constructed.
- Factors that contributed to Babylon collapsing.
- Economic significance of Constantinople in the Byzantine Empire.
- Mughal architectural influences in constructing Taj Mahal.
US History Research Paper Topics
There are a lot of American history research paper topics that you can select. However, to guarantee your success in this process, we have provided the best US history topics for research paper below:
- Ways in which early settlers in America learned to coexist together.
- Major factors that contributed to Witch Trials in Salem.
- What laws were put in place to control enslaved people in America?
- Key reasons why Boston Massacres occurred.
- What factors led to the American Revolution?
- Reasons why George Washington is regarded as one of the greatest leaders in American history.
- New roles for women after the American Revolution.
- Key events that took place in creating the American Constitution.
- Conflicts between British and Native Americans in the 19th century.
- Modern activism groups. Their origin and development in the USA.
Looking for anyone to work on your History paper? Stop googling ‘ pay someone to write my research paper ’, just contact Studycrumb and get proficient writing help.
European History Research Topics
Finding the best European history research paper topics may be difficult because of European countries' different historical and cultural backgrounds. Nevertheless, below we have created interesting European history topics that will make it easy for you:
- Niccolo Machiavelli's philosophy and its impacts.
- Most renowned artist of the Renaissance period.
- Maximillian Robespierre: Impacts brought by his reign of terror during the French Revolution.
- Factors that led to creation of Austria-Hungary.
- Rise and fall of the Viking era.
- Characteristics that are associated with Gothic art.
- Origin and impacts of Romanticism.
- A comparison of great works by Mozart and Bach in the 18th century.
- How Cubism revolutionized the art movement in Europe.
- Military role played by British women in World War II.
European history has various events described in literature. If you want to focus on how any event is depicted in literary works, don't hesitate to browse for literature research paper topics.
French Revolution Research Topics for History
The French Revolution is a significant historical period. If you are searching for the best historical topics to research about this period, look no further. Below are best history topics ideas for you to start with:
- Achievements of King Louis IV.
- Factors that contributed to Napoleon losing the Waterloo battle.
- Major causes of the French Revolution.
- How has the French Revolution affected modern France?
- Major roles played by the French Revolution in Europe.
- What was the significance of Robespierre during the French Revolution?
- How did the French Revolution influence music and French operas?
- How was Napoleon’s conquest affected by the French Revolution?
- Key societal transformation after the French Revolution.
- Causes and impacts brought by Champ De Mars Massacre.
American Revolution History Research Paper Topics
Another popular category to write on is American history research topics. When asked to write about the American Revolution, do not be confused. The following are interesting American history research paper topics for your ideas:
- Social consequences caused by the American Revolution.
- What role did women play during the revolution?
- How did the American Revolution impact Europe?
- How did typical Americans live during this revolution?
- Famous female writers during the American Revolution.
- Negative social impacts of the American Revolution.
- Similarities between the Trenton and Princeton Battles.
- Significant achievements of Alexander Hamilton during the American Revolution.
- How did the revolution change the perception of America by British?
- How did George Washington affect the outcome of the American Revolution?
History Research Paper Topics on US Civil War
When looking for popular US history topics to write about, you should consider the Civil War. If that is the case, we have good US history research topics about the Civil War for your inspiration:
- What factors led to the American Civil War?
- How is the American Civil War represented in popular culture?
- What were the roles played by African Americans during this period?
- Impact of Civil War on American society.
- Effects brought by the Civil War on ending slavery in America.
- Key roles played by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.
- Major roles played by women during the Civil War.
- Major course of American Civil War.
- What are the key advantages of the American Civil War?
- How did the Civil War impact distribution of wealth in America?
Cold War History Research Topics
The Cold War has some of the most interesting history topics to research. If you want to be inspired by the Cold War historical investigation topics, we have a list for you below:
- What key roles did America play during the Cold War?
- What interventions were made by the UN during the Cold War?
- How were popular cultures affected by the Cold War?
- Why is the Cold War described as an era characterized by fear?
- Key events that led to discussions to end the Cold War.
- What impacts did the Cold War have on European economic development?
- Key events that led to the Cold War.
- What major countries were involved in the Cold War?
- What was the aftermath of the Cold War?
- Cultural shifts during the Cold War.
20th Century Research Paper Topics
Are you searching for 20th-century history paper ideas? Look no further. Below are interesting research topics about history and development witnessed in the 20th century:
- Successful tactics used by Gandhi to revolt against British oppression.
- Reasons why the assassination of King Carlos of Portugal failed to provoke a revolution.
- How the Marne Battle made it easy to stop advancement of German forces.
- Factors that facilitated the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
- How did the attack on Pearl Harbor change the course of the war?
- Methods used to spread and promote Communism ideologies in Europe.
- How did the relationship between the Soviet Union and America change over time after 1945?
- Factors that led to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
- Friendship treaties signed between Fidel Castro and the USSR.
- Cuban missile crisis: Origin and consequences.
Modern History Research Paper Topics
You may be asked to write a paper on modern history topics. When you find yourself in this situation, go through the following history topics for research paper to get your inspiration:
- Columbian Exchange: Its origin and consequences.
- Foods taken by people during the Industrial Revolution.
- How was it living in the Wild West?
- Aftermath of the Great Famine in Ireland and how people coped.
- Negative impacts brought by David Livingstone's exploration in Africa.
- Russia's expansion of its territories and how they annexed Siberia.
- Characteristics associated with the Commercial Revolution and its impact on world finances.
- Positive consequences brought by spice trade in shaping the modern world.
- Key inventions that facilitated the Age of Exploration.
- Why was Alexander II assassinated?
Extra History Research Paper Topics
You can never fully exhaust historical titles because history is constantly changing and being written. But, by now, we hope you have a clear picture of interesting history research paper topics you can write on. But if you still need more inspiration for your essay, we will provide you with extra history research paper topic ideas classified in the following different categories.
History Research Paper Topics for Exam
Do you wish to study for your history exam and are looking for US history research topics to get you going? Not only do we have various topics on American history to aid you, but we also have interesting world history research topics. Below is a list that can jump-start your revision:
- Gender roles in 19th century England.
- Economic repercussions brought by World War II in France.
- Major people who fought for abolition of apartheid rule in South Africa.
- How Roosevelt contributed to ending World War II.
- How Alabama's claim impacted America.
- Factors that contributed to the rise of communism in China.
- Origin and development of the Syrian crisis.
- University education in Europe: Its origin and development.
- How colonization of America impacted the Natives.
- History and development of Veteran’s Day.
>> Read more: How to Write a DBQ
History Research Paper Topics for Academics
There are many interesting things to learn about in history. All you have to do is seek a fascinating historical topic to investigate and learn about. To start you off, we have topics you can look at below:
- Similarities between European and American industrial revolutions.
- Negative effects brought by the industrial revolution on the working class.
- Reasons why Black Death spread rapidly in Europe.
- Origin and development of poetry.
- Islamic architecture’s influence on modern structures.
- Negative environmental effects brought by World War II.
- Importance of Mathematics in ancient Egypt.
- Major roles played by women during the Great Depression.
- Why was iron important during the industrial revolution?
History Research Paper Topics for Experts
Scholars should not be the only ones looking for stimulating ancient history research paper topics. Experts can also find inspiration in various US history paper topics that we have provided for you below:
- Origin of the conflict between Israel and Palestine.
- Gulf War: Its causes and social effects on the people.
- Social impacts of conflicts witnessed in Syria.
- Most respected general during the Roman Empire's rule.
- Negative consequences of the Cold War on global politics and direction.
- Social and political impacts brought by racism in America.
- History of education development in Europe.
- What causes the Mexican-American wars?
- Factors that facilitated the rise of the Dutch Republic?
- Controversial issues surrounding the American Civil War.
Need more ideas? We have a full assortment of titles in different fields. From education research topics or philosophy paper topics to business research topics , you are sure to choose the one you need.
Bottom Line on History Research Topics
As a history scholar, choosing a title for your essay can seem both daunting and exciting. There are many interesting topics of history you can select to write on. However, picking the right one can be challenging. This article has provided various ideas on the US and world history topics to research and write argumentative essays on. We hope that the above list makes it easy for you to choose a title or inspire you to come up with your own. There are many good historical events to write about. All you need is to go through the list we have provided and make your choice.
Contact our writing website for help with relevant topics! We will be glad to provide students with interesting solutions and unique ideas. If you don't have time or desire to write a research paper, we can do it for you! Check out our website for more details!
Joe Eckel is an expert on Dissertations writing. He makes sure that each student gets precious insights on composing A-grade academic writing.
You may also like
History Research Paper Topics Made Simple
Updated Aug 2021 History is a broad subject with virtually endless possibilities for writing research papers. Interesting, tragic, and inspiring events across various cultures have been happening since the dawn of time, offering many opportunities to analyze and interpret them from different perspectives.
However, since history is so diverse, picking a topic and conducting research comes with many challenges. How can you narrow down the subject to something relevant that captures the reader’s attention and makes room for in-depth analysis?
One of the biggest challenges students face when writing history research papers is finding credible sources for research . The online world is full of misinformation, while there are many lengthy books to read through and verify all the facts.
That’s why we’ve compiled this list of dozens of history research paper topics, ranging from medieval times and early civilizations to art research paper topics and much more. Read on to find inspiration.
What Is a Good History Research Topic?
A good history research topic tackles a relevant and interesting issue, period, or event that can inform the reader, help them learn from past mistakes, and understand their current position better.
Clarity is one of the essential elements of a good history research topic. Regardless of the period, event, or historical issue you wish to write about, you must be clear about it from the get-go.
A good topic allows you to describe events accurately, grab the reader’s attention, and entice them to want to learn more about it.
It doesn’t matter what topic you choose, as long as it motivates you to write about it in-depth to inspire the reader. When you feel passionate about something, that will reflect on your writing, and the reader will feel that passion as well.
History research papers can be analytical, comparative, argumentative, or reflective, so be sure to pick a writing style that best suits your topic and main idea.
How to Choose Interesting History Research Topics?
Some of the most exciting history research topics might be those that you can connect to the world today. You know what they say about history repeating itself, so you might be able to relate a past event or issue to current economic or cultural patterns or potential situations.
Use these tips to pick an interesting history research topic:
- Think about what interests you the most and come up with several different topics before conducting preliminary research to find reliable sources for each.
- Write a clear thesis statement for each topic that focuses on one or more specific historical issues or events. Leave no room for vagueness, and use credible sources to find and support all the facts.
- Once you have your outlines, take a step back to see which topic matters the most to you and why it might be relevant today.
- If argumentative research paper topics are your cup of tea, make sure you can provide clear arguments and counterarguments to stay unbiased. That’s how you will showcase professionalism, knowledge, and an utmost understanding of the topic. Needless to say, that’s how you will get the highest grade.
So, dig deep into what you feel passionate about, narrow down your topic, clear your focus, pick your preferred writing style, prepare a clear outline, and your paper will practically start writing itself.
History research paper topics for college students
A lot of interesting history topics one can write about usually revolve around very controversial issues that can be logically explained by representatives of both sides of the argument. The thing is, for you, as a history student, it’s not a good idea to dive into the emotional or personal context of those ideas that caused a lot of turmoil back then. Your task here is to explain the conditions under which they are now perceived as controversial, what helped them to take place, and the causative-consecutive relations of this event to many others. Opinion papers, of course, are a different topic to be discussed but when we’re talking about pure scientific research, you better refrain from undocumented or unproven claims when dealing with history research paper topics.
- Why the Nazi’s Ideology Was So Popular Among Masses?
- Are White Supremacists New Nazis?
- Capitalism: What went Wrong with Arguably the Most Suitable Political Ideology
- The Politics of Closed Border: Is Integration Possible (Case of North Korea)
- How 1-Child Policy in China Takes Its Toll Today
- Cold War 2.0: Russian-American Political Discourse Under Trump and Putin
- How Consumerism Dictates the Politics
- The Drawbacks associated with Technological Progress
- Things We Use that Weren’t Changed Since the Roman Empire
- Religion and History: Events that Won’t Take Place if not for Religious Reasons
World History Research Paper Topics
It’s truly an interesting time to be alive as we witness so many important events and are their contemporaries. It also gives more work for historians as their job is to document them from every possible viewpoint, and your school assignment is pretty much a part of it. There’s an option to pay for a research paper , but if you are ready to write it yourself, we have some topics for you to consider.
- What Caused Christianity Split and How It Still Affects Us Now
- Japanese-American Relationship: Ups & Downs
- Rich Spain, Poor Spain: What Caused the Decay
- Why Monarchies Still Exist
- The Invention of Printing: How It Influenced the Cultural Live
- Political Marriages in 14th Century
- Who Discovered America First?
- What Did Europeans Bring Home from Mayan People?
- Is Australia a Silent Continent?
- 7 Things We Borrowed from African Culture
US History Research Paper Topics
The history of the United States is so rich that college students absolutely have to study it. Here we have some good ideas to help you.
- ObamaCare: Best Intention, Worst Execution
- What did France Lose Because of Louisiana Purchase?
- Charleston in the Time of Civil War
- The Oldest Universities: Who Founded Them?
- Why Racism Still Exist?
- #Me_Too Movement
- Black Lives Matter Trap
- Is Class War Over in the USA?
- American-Iranian Tough Relationship
- WIll America Trigger WW3?
Texas History Research Topics
The US South was always in the spotlight on many social transformations and challenges. This is why it’s worthy to study it more.
- French, Spanish, Mexican, American: Texas Transformation within 4 centuries
- Texas During the Civil War
- Life of Native American Tribes During the Colonization
- French Influences In Texas Architecture
- Notable People from Texas
- Mexican-American War
- Pre-European Period in Texas History
- The Constitution of the Republic of Texas
- “Texas Eleven” and its Consequences
- Ted Cruz Political Course for Texas
American History Research Paper Topics
The U.S. revolution history before 1877 and its state during the 20th century are of particular interest for many college students, and they have their reason for it.
- The Rise of Nazism Under Trump’s Administration
- Feminist Movement in American History
- Afghanistan War and the US
- Why Contributions of African-American Soldiers During the WW2 is Still Silenced
- Martin Luther King and/vs Malcolm X
- How the Development of the Railway System Shaped the US Future
- Alcatraz: World’s Most Secure Prison
- Stonewall Inn and It’s Importance in the Gay Movement
- Who was Alexander Hamilton?
Colonial America Research Topics
Before we know the US as it’s now, it was a bunch of territories under various European countries.
- Origin of the City Names and the History Behind them: New Amsterdam, San Antonio, New Orleans
- French Cultural Influence on the Southern States
- First Colonists: Who Were They?
- What Does the Religion Have to Do With the Colonist Wars?
- The era of Good Feelings: Why It Didn’t Last Long
- Alaska and Russian Colonies
- Alaska Purchase: The Biggest Russian Trade Failure
- El Camino Real: The Historical Importance
- Former Dutch Colonies
- How Ney York Became New York
African American History Research Paper Topics
From slavery issues to music to protests - African-American history is full of events that are rarely interpreted objectively and are given the importance they should have been.
- How Slavery Shaped the Social Discourse of the 17th century America
- Notable Events that Led to the Civil Rights Movement
- Harlem Rennaissance
- Stereotypical Representations of African Americans in Hollywood
- Slavery and Literature: How History is Viewed by African-American Writers
- Incarceration Problem
- Segregation Policies: Why Some Politicians Still Want Them Today
- Black Lives Matter
- History of Jazz
- USA Under First Black President
20th-century Research Paper Topics
From World Wars, mayhem and peace of the 1960s, recovery of the 1920s, and globalization - the last century is a well of topics to explore with research paper writing service or without one.
- Causes of WW1
- Bylshovyks and Nazis: What’s Similar
- Rise of Mafia
- Dictatorship Regimes in the 20th century
- How China Became a Powerful State
- Independence of African Countries
- Apartheid Break
- JFK Assassination
- The implication of Atomic Weapon
- The Rise of Globalization
Civil Rights Research Topics
The civil Rights movement was amongst the most important social movements the USA had, as it’s changed the nation’s discourse.
- Notable Cultural Activists during the Civil Right Movement
- The Role of AME Church
- Malcolm X Ideology
- MLK Assassination
- Black Panther Party
- Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Separate but Equal: the Education Case of Segregationism
- Loving v. Virginia: Interracial Marriages
- The tragedy of Emmett Till
- Jim Crow Policies
European History Research Paper Topics
The recent events in European history make quite a field for history students to explore and work on.
- England Before the United Kingdom
- Dictatorship in Europe
- Cosa Nostra: Italian Mafia Then and Today
- Decay of USSR
- New Hybrid Warfare; The Case of Russia, Georgia, Ukraine and Syria
- Germany After Hitler: Geopolitical Context
- Berlin Wall
- English-Irish Tension
- Formation of the European Union
- Brexit and Its Consequences
Ancient History Research Paper Topics
The early civilizations of ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Persia, Babylon, China are the sources of culture we have today. That’s why it’s important to learn about them or from them.
- Religious of the Ancient Civilizations
- How Christianity Ruined the Culture
- Remains of the Roman cities in Italy
- The life and achievements of Alexander of Macedonia
- The life and achievements of Julius Caesar
- Nile River Valley: The History of the Monuments
- From Persia to Iran: The Cultural Heritage
- Origin and History of the Assyrian Empire
- The Kingdom of Urartu
- The Reign of Hammurabi
Western Civ Research Paper Topics
Any Western civilization is the beginning of the cultural heritage we cherish now on the European continent and beyond. Here are a few history research topics examples you might be willing to research.
- Medieval Christendom
- The Roman Empire and Its Biggest Achievements
- Inventions of Ancient Greece We still Use Now
- Reasons for the Fall of Rome
- Kyiv Rus in the Context of Western Monarchies
- Byzantium Empire and Its Influence on Christianity
- The Rise & Fall of Feudalism
- The Rise & Fall of The Second Temple
- Cultural Heritage of Hellenistic Judaism
- Age of Discovery: Why People Sought Better Life
Middle Ages Research Topics
Medieval times are often strongly associated with the church’s influence on every sphere of life and it makes sense to study where it all led us.
- Division of the Roman Empire
- Western Schism and Its Influence on Catholicism
- Importance of the Merovingian Dynasty in France
- War of Roses
- Missionaries to Scandinavia
- The History of first Crusades
- Reconquista: Causes & Effects
- Heroic Epos and Its Historical Context
- The Invention of Gunpowder and Warfare Change
- Value of Marco Polo Diaries
Native American History Research Topics
These ideas are your chance to explore the rich history of Native Americans from their origin to the present day and get custom research paper writing help you need now.
- The History of Thanksgiving Day
- What is the Purpose of Reservations
- The Rise and Fall of the Navajo Nation
- Native American Tribes in the USA Today
- Pre-discovery North America
- Diseases the Europeans Gifted the Native Americans
- America Settlement: There the People Came From
- Native Americans and Spiritualism
- Repressions of Native Americans
- Native Americans and Civil War
Salem Witch Trials Research Paper Topics
The history of Puritans is marked with the cruelest court trials one can imagine. See how many issues still remain uncovered.
- The Reasons for Salem Witch Trials
- The Execution Methods during SWT
- American Heresy: Salem Witch Trials and Failures
- Political Context of Witch Accusations
- Puritans and Calvinism
- Gender Context of Witch Trials
- Archeological Sites of Salem
- Witch Trials Former Prosecutions
- The History of Witch Cake
- Salem Witch Trials in Modern Culture
Slavery Research Paper Topics
A truly disgraceful period of the American nation and around the world that needs more public talking than ever before.
- Slavery and Music in the USA
- Slavery in Europe
- Slavery in the Russian Empire
- Early History of Slavery
- Slavery in Films
- Slave Market and Human Trafficking Today
- Adam Smith and Slavery
- Slave, Not Slave: The things People Did to Differentiate the Class
- Slavery in the 21st Century
- Sex Slavery
Black History Research Topics
The Black people in America suffered a lot of repressions until the 70s, and those policies are claimed as the tragic social norms that people implemented back then. However, we should not underestimate the cultural influence they’ve brought to the continent.
- Black Music and the Civil Rights Movement
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Jazz Era and Black Culture
- Ghettos in NYC
- Black History Month
- Claudette Colvin, Rosa Parks, and Other Women
- Transatlantic Slave Trade
- Minstrel Shows and Blackfacing: Trudeau’s Case
- The Rise of Hip Hop Culture
- Black Athletes that Changed Sports Forever
Civil War Research Topics
If the only help with research paper on the Civil War you need is to choose the topic, here comes your wish.
- Union vs Confederacy: Top Differences
- “Slave States” Politics
- Notable Commanders and Leaders of the Civil War
- Compromise Act of 1850
- Fort Sumter Battle
- Charleston Port Battle
- Baltimore Riots
- Military Mobilization During the Civil War
- Civil War Ecranization
- Conquest of Virginia and Its Historic Relevance
Cold War Research Topics
- What was the Cold War
- Modern Cold Wars in the World
- Caribbean Crisis and Cold War
- Espionage and Cold War
- Brezhnev Doctrine
- American Economy Under Cold War
- USSR Motivs for Cold War
- Raegan vs Thatcher
- NKVD and other Special Units of USSR Military during the Cold War
- The Marshall Plan
Vietnam War Research Topics
The event that still echoes with the disastrous consequences should be studied to avoid the same political mistakes in the future.
- Johnson’s Reasoning for Vietnam War
- American Interference into Asia
- Vietnam War and Public Outcry
- Cambodia Genocide
- Vietnam War Belligerents and their Supporters
- American Soldiers in Vietnam
- Social Issues of the Vietnam War inside the States
- Cost of the Vietnam War for Today’s Economy and Politics in the States
- Sino-Soviet Split
- Vietnam Syndrome
World War I Research Topics
WWI had a lot of events that need to de addressed, as many of them seem to repeat themselves throughout the 20th century.
- WW1 Background
- Sarajevo Assassination: the Reason or Cover-Up for the War
- Mlada Bosna and Other Terrorist Groups in Europe
- July Crisis and Political maneuvers
- The Meaning of Schlieffen Plan
- German Offensive: France and Belgium Attacks
- The USA during the WW1
- Military Recruitment for Armies from non-involved Countries
- Hague Convention
- First World War Naval Warfare
World War II Research Topics
- WW2 Ideological Background
- Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
- Allies and Axis
- Atomic Bomb Explosion in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- WWII Concentration camps, Genocides, and Slavery
- Culture during the Second World War
- Aftermath of WW2
- Results of Yalta Conference
- Nuremberg Trials
Revolutionary War Research Topics
- Boston Tea Party
- Continental Congress During the War for Independence
- First President of the USA
- Formation of the USA
- Revolutionary War and Foreign Interventions
- Taxation Disputes and the Beginning of War
- Alexander Hamilton and the American Economy
- Logistics and Warfare during the Revolutionary war
- What Would Happen If Hamilton Wasn’t Killed
- Native Americans in the War for Independence
Art History Research Paper Topics
Art is an important part of human existence as it preserves the history and helps historians to learn more about the life and culture of the given period.
- Renaissance and Painting
- WW2 and Art
- Fin de Siecle: Literature, Painting, Music
- Leonardo da Vinci’s Inventions
- The earliest Art Objects of Ancient Civilizations
- How Photography changed the Art
- Invention of Camera Obscure
- The Lumiere Brothers and the beginning of Cinema
- 7 World Wonders
Music History Research Paper Topics
Since music and lyrics group together, it stopped being an option for recreation and has obtained more social and political context to it. Explore the following themes, and you’ll learn how the social struggles were reflected in the music of the last century.
- How Jazz Got to Europe
- History of Rock’n’Roll
- Hip-Hop and Black Culture
- Music Instruments of Ancient Greece
- Rise of R’n’B
- Gospels in the Civil Right Movements Context
- Indigenous American Music and Spiritual Events
- 80s Culture: How Music Became Pop
- The British Invasion
- New York Jazz Scene in the 60s
Theatre History Research Topics
Being one of the oldest entertainments, the theater still remains an important historical object for research and it’s undergone many transformations since that time.
- Roman theater vs Greek Theater
- Japanese and Chinese Theaters: Then and Now
- Remains of Ancient Theaters in Rome
- Pre-Shakespearian Theater
- Contemporary Theaters
- The Rise of Broadway Shows
- Spanish Classical Theater and Plays
- Most Influential Playwrights of the 20th Century
- American Theater vs Classical Theater
- Ibsen’s Plays and His Role in Establishing the New Theater
Modern History Research Topics
If you want to write about events that happened from the 17th century onward, here are some of the most interesting modern history research topics you can choose.
- The USA PATRIOT Act
- The Great Recession
- The Chernobyl disaster, response, and fallout
- NATO interventions across the globe
- Social and economic inequality
- The Great Depression
- Industrialization of the US economy
- The Great American West
- Religious and social movements in the US
- Immigration in the 21st century
Controversial History Topics
There’s no shortage of controversial topics when it comes to history. When tackling one, it’s crucial to stay impersonal and weigh arguments on both sides. Here are some ideas you could use.
- The Spanish Inquisition
- The life of Queen Elizabeth II
- The fall of Constantinople
- Cultural assimilation of Native Americans
- The rise and fall of the Roman Empire
- Watergate scandal
- Syrian refugee crisis
- The Holocaust
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Writing a research paper about any historical event or period can be daunting, especially if you’ve never done it before. Fortunately, professional research paper writing services like StudyClerk can help you out with any subject and topic.
Here at StudyClerk, we have an expert team of qualified writers with Ph.D. and Master’s degrees in an array of academic fields. They can do all the legwork for you regarding research, provide you with a clear outline, and help you write a superb paper without a hitch. And if you ever need any editing, proofreading, or formatting assistance, reach out to us anytime.
Browse our writers’ profiles, pick one that best suits your needs, and share details about your paper, including the topic, main idea, length, and deadline. Sit back, relax, and get an original, plagiarism-free research paper that will exceed your expectations. Contact us today to place your order!
Order your paper now!
- 100+ Best Science Topics for Research Papers
- Cultural Research Paper Topics
- Entrepreneurship Research Paper Topics
- 100+ Best Religion Research Paper Topics in 2023
- 110 Unique Tranding Fashion Research Paper Topics and Ideas
Explore your training options in 10 minutes Get Started
- Graduate Stories
- Partner Spotlights
- Bootcamp Prep
- Bootcamp Admissions
- University Bootcamps
- Software Engineering
- Web Development
- Data Science
- Tech Guides
- Tech Resources
- Career Advice
- Online Learning
- Tech Salaries
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- University Admissions
- Best Schools
- Bootcamp Financing
- Higher Ed Financing
- Financial Aid
- Best Coding Bootcamps
- Best Online Bootcamps
- Best Web Design Bootcamps
- Best Data Science Bootcamps
- Best Technology Sales Bootcamps
- Best Data Analytics Bootcamps
- Best Cybersecurity Bootcamps
- Best Digital Marketing Bootcamps
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Browse All Locations
- Digital Marketing
- Machine Learning
- See All Subjects
- Bootcamps 101
- Full-Stack Development
- Career Changes
- View all Career Discussions
- Mobile App Development
- Product Management
- UX/UI Design
- What is a Coding Bootcamp?
- Are Coding Bootcamps Worth It?
- How to Choose a Coding Bootcamp
- Best Online Coding Bootcamps and Courses
- Best Free Bootcamps and Coding Training
- Coding Bootcamp vs. Community College
- Coding Bootcamp vs. Self-Learning
- Bootcamps vs. Certifications: Compared
- What Is a Coding Bootcamp Job Guarantee?
- How to Pay for Coding Bootcamp
- Ultimate Guide to Coding Bootcamp Loans
- Best Coding Bootcamp Scholarships and Grants
- Education Stipends for Coding Bootcamps
- Get Your Coding Bootcamp Sponsored by Your Employer
- GI Bill and Coding Bootcamps
- Tech Intevriews
- Our Enterprise Solution
- Connect With Us
- Reskill America
- Partner With Us
- Resource Center
- Coding Tools
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
The Top 10 Most Interesting History Research Topics
Choosing history research topics is one of the hardest and most time-consuming things to do, especially if there is no guidance. You have to employ the right research skills to find authentic sources and ensure that your history research questions are precise and clear.
So to make your work easier, we have curated history research paper topics for college students and high schoolers, as well as examples of history research questions you can use for your assignment.
Find your bootcamp match
What makes a strong history research topic.
Clarity makes a strong history research topic. History is a broad subject, so your topic should be well-defined and your language should be simple enough for the reader to understand the basic outline of your history research project. In other words, there should be no ambiguity. An ambiguous topic will be much harder to write than a clear one.
Tips for Choosing a History Research Topic
- Understand the requirements. Pay attention to your academic level and make sure that you are clear on what is expected of you. Keep referring to your assignment as you go along to ensure that you do not deviate from it.
- Choose a topic that interests you. If your history topic is boring, doing the research and writing the paper will become tedious work. It is important that you select a topic that appeals to you and that you will enjoy writing about. Even if you choose a controversial topic, it’s worth pursuing as long as it will motivate you to keep writing.
- Be objective. Movies such as Pearl Harbor have romanticized history as their subject, so make sure you select a topic based on facts and not merely your opinion. This will help in removing bias from your research questions as well.
- Begin your search for research sources early. Ensure that there are adequate primary and secondary sources for your research assignment. You can also consult other alternative sources for your research. Remember to also make use of your high school or college librarian. They will guide you toward reliable sources.
- Consult others when necessary. Whenever your assignment requirements are unclear to you, consult your professor. You can also brainstorm with fellow students to get more ideas on what topic you should select, or visit your university’s writing center to get a refresher on how to write strong topic sentences.
What’s the Difference Between a Research Topic and a Research Question?
A research topic refers to a broad idea that you may have chosen for your history research paper. For example, “modern history” is a general topic from which you can get various, more specific topics, such as “the role of globalization in industrialization.”
A research question takes a broad topic and narrows it down to a more specific subject. Your question will help in selecting the right sources. A research question answers the what, why, and how of the research topic. For example, what role has industrialization played in globalization?
How to Create Strong History Research Questions
A strong history research question should be empirically sound. This means that it should be narrow enough to do an in-depth analysis. However, it should not be so narrow that it can be answered with a simple yes or no. A simple search on Google should not answer your research question.
According to Kristin Poling from the Department of History at Harvard, formulating a research question requires preliminary research. You need to see whether there are authentic sources available to answer your question, and you need to understand where the gaps in the literature are. Strong questions lead to strong thesis statements.
Top 10 History Research Paper Topics
1. religion in ancient greece.
Any list of history topics about ancient Greek religion is bound to contain some gems. By digging into cultural patterns, you can explore how religion affected the social, political, religious, military, and economic development of Greece. You could even venture outside the boundaries of Greece and investigate how Christian symbols were influenced by the ancient Greeks.
2. Causes of the American Revolution
The American Revolution, also known as the United States War of Independence, is an important American historical event that occurred between 1775 and 1783. Researching the American revolutionaries behind the Boston Tea Party is a great way to understand how monumental social conflicts bring about the rise and fall of nations.
3. American Neutrality in World War Ⅰ
Also known as the First War or the Great War, World War Ⅰ was the first major global war of the 20th Century, and it lasted between 1914 and 1918. If you choose this topic, you will be able to analyze why America first made the foreign policy decision to avoid taking part in the war, as well as why it changed its mind later on.
4. Effects of the Allies’ Occupation of Germany
The Allied occupation of Germany began in 1945 after Germany was defeated in the Second World War. It refers to the joint occupation of Germany by the US, Great Britain, Soviet Union, and France. If you select this history research topic for your assignment, you will be able to delve deeper into the effects of the occupation on both Germany and the rest of the world.
5. Ronald Reagan and the End of the Cold War
The Cold War was a 20th Century battle of supremacy between the United States and the Soviet Union involving nuclear weapons. By discussing the role Ronald Reagan played in ending the Cold War, you could gain insight into the diplomatic history between these two powers or interpret how Reagan’s actions affected the course of American society.
6. Political, Economic, and Social Causes of the French Revolution
The French Revolution, which occurred between 1789 and 1799, significantly shifted the social and political ideals of all 18th Century European countries. This riveting European history research topic provides a means to explore the dangers of classism and its effects on civilian life.
7. The Legacy of Alexander the Great
You cannot learn about historical figures in ancient times without coming across Alexander the Great, the king of ancient Macedonia. Selecting this ancient history topic for your assignment will be a fascinating dive into how this key figure in history influenced Greek and Asian culture as he expanded his empire.
8. Rise of the Catholic Church as a Political Institution in the Middle Ages
The Middle Ages is a historical era between the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 CE and the beginning of the Renaissance period in the 14th century. Selecting this topic will help you understand the factors that influenced the rise of the Catholic Church as a powerful political institution in medieval Europe.
9. Impact of the Industrial Revolution on Working-Class Families
The Industrial Revolution was an era between the late 18th century and the middle of the 19th century when great strides were made in engineering, production, and manufacturing. It affected the economic and social lives of the working class and shifted gender roles. Studying industrialization effects would lend itself well to university students with access to rare books.
10. The Role of Martin Luther King Jr in the Civil Rights Movement
The Civil Rights Movement is one of the best Black history research paper topics for college students. One of the most impactful social movements, this movement was a response to the social injustice toward African Americans that continued after the abolition of slavery. Martin Luther King Jr was a key figure whose importance to American history cannot be overstated.
Other Examples of History Research Topics & Questions
History research topics.
- American Folk Art History
- Religious Symbolism in the Renaissance Era
- Impact of the Westward Expansion on Native Americans
- Amelia Earhart’s Impact on Women in Aviation
- The Rise and Fall of the Dutch Republic
History Research Questions
- In what ways have Alois Riegl’s theories shaped modern art today?
- How did the Renaissance shift the worldview of European thinkers?
- How did the Berlin Conference influence British Colonialism in Africa?
- How have women in tech history shaped the role of American women in STEM in the 21st Century?
- In what ways did the 17th century’s political and military shifts in Spain affect British rule?
Choosing the Right History Research Topic
Whether you are a high school or a college student, there are many history topics from which you can select your research project. Selecting history topics for history is highly dependent on the type of paper you have chosen to write. Argumentative research paper topics will yield different results than a comparative study or a descriptive study.
Whether you choose to select a historical figure, the military clashes between the American settlers and Native Americans, or the role of women in industrialization, make sure that you narrow down your topic and choose something that answers a specific question about an interesting issue, period, or event.
History Research Topics FAQ
Historiography is the study of recorded historical events and their interpretations. In other words, historiographies help us understand how experienced writers have shaped what, how, and why a specific history subject was recorded and interpreted a certain way.
You start a research paper by beginning with a historical overview from which you can narrow down your topics and the history research questions that you want to address. From there, you will be able to carefully choose your primary and secondary sources. According to Purdue OWL, evaluating sources is an excellent place to begin a research assignment.
You can find many research sources from online university libraries as well as websites devoted to history. The Internet is full of curated libraries such as the American Historical Association, which has resources for historical researchers to help you join the ranks of the most expert writers in the field.
Yes, you can pursue an online degree in history. Many major universities offer online history degrees as an alternative to in-person degrees. You can look up the university of your choice and check the requirements for enrollment.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication .
Get matched with top bootcamps
Ask a question to our community, take our careers quiz.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Home » 300+ American History Research Paper Topics
300+ American History Research Paper Topics
American history is a vast and complex subject that encompasses a wide range of events, movements, and individuals who have shaped the country’s past and present. From the struggles for independence and civil rights to the exploration and settlement of the continent, American history provides an abundance of topics for research papers . Whether you’re interested in politics, social issues, cultural trends, or military history, there are numerous topics to choose from that will help you delve deeper into the fascinating story of the United States. In this arcticle, we will explore some of the most compelling and thought-provoking American history topics that you can choose to explore in your own research .
American History Research Paper Topics
American History Research Paper Topics are as follows:
- The Salem witch trials: religious hysteria and persecution.
- The California Gold Rush: immigration and economic boom.
- The Harlem Renaissance: cultural movements and African American creativity.
- The Stonewall riots: LGBTQ+ rights and activism.
- The Underground Railroad: abolitionist movement and escape from slavery.
- The New York City Draft Riots: racial tensions and class conflict during the Civil War.
- The Battle of Little Bighorn: Native American resistance and US expansionism.
- The Scopes Monkey Trial: evolution and religion in the public school system.
- The assassination of Abraham Lincoln: political upheaval and the aftermath.
- The Bracero Program: labor migration and Mexican American relations.
- The Japanese American internment: civil liberties and government policies during WWII.
- The Black Panthers: civil rights and revolutionary politics.
- The Montgomery bus boycott: racial segregation and nonviolent protest.
- The War of 1812: US-British relations and national identity.
- The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution: US involvement in Vietnam and presidential power.
- The Trail of Tears: forced relocation of Native Americans and government policy.
- The Louisiana Purchase: westward expansion and territorial acquisition.
- The Emancipation Proclamation: Abraham Lincoln and the end of slavery.
- The Boston Tea Party: colonial resistance and the American Revolution.
- The Haymarket Riot: labor movements and the struggle for workers’ rights.
- The Sacco and Vanzetti trial: political prejudice and the justice system.
- The Nixon administration and Watergate: political corruption and media coverage.
- The Battle of Gettysburg: turning point in the Civil War and military strategy.
- The United States’ entry into WWI: neutrality and international relations.
- The assassination of JFK: conspiracy theories and the impact on American politics.
- The Montgomery GI Bill: post-WWII veterans’ benefits and education.
- The 1968 Democratic National Convention: anti-war protests and police brutality.
- The Space Shuttle Challenger disaster: NASA and government accountability.
- The Wounded Knee Massacre: Native American activism and government response.
- The Oklahoma City bombing: domestic terrorism and extremism.
- The Pentagon Papers: government secrecy and media freedom.
- The American eugenics movement: racial science and government policy.
- The Zoot Suit Riots: racial tensions and discrimination in WWII-era Los Angeles.
- The Tet Offensive: turning point in the Vietnam War and media coverage.
- The 1920s: flappers, jazz music, and cultural transformation.
- The Seneca Falls Convention: women’s suffrage and gender equality.
- The assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.: civil rights and the struggle for racial justice.
- The Tea Party movement: conservative populism and political polarization.
- The space race and the moon landing: US-Soviet competition and national pride.
- The Gulf War: US military action in the Middle East and international relations.
- The Hurricane Katrina disaster: government response and racial inequality.
- The Rodney King verdict and LA riots: police brutality and racial justice.
- The Iran-Contra scandal: government corruption and foreign policy.
- The civil rights movement and the Freedom Riders: nonviolent protest and desegregation.
- The Flint water crisis: environmental racism and government negligence.
- The Occupy Wall Street movement: economic inequality and social justice.
- The AIDS epidemic: public health crisis and societal attitudes.
- The American Revolution: causes and consequences.
- The impact of slavery on the development of the United States.
- The Reconstruction Era: successes and failures.
- The Civil War: social, political, and economic impacts.
- The women’s suffrage movement: progress and setbacks.
- The rise of industrialization and its impact on society.
- The Progressive Era: reforms and political changes.
- The New Deal: success or failure?
- The impact of the Great Depression on American society.
- The Second World War: America’s involvement and impact.
- The Cold War: the US and Soviet Union’s global influence.
- The civil rights movement: leaders and strategies.
- The Vietnam War: political, social, and cultural impacts.
- The Watergate scandal: corruption and the presidency.
- The Reagan Revolution: conservatism and change.
- The Gulf War: America’s role in international conflict.
- The 9/11 terrorist attacks: effects on domestic and foreign policy.
- The Obama presidency: achievements and controversies.
- The rise of Silicon Valley: technology and innovation.
- The labor movement: unionization and workers’ rights.
- The Trail of Tears: the forced relocation of Native Americans.
- The Mormon migration: religious freedom and settlement.
- The gold rush: economic and social impacts.
- The women’s liberation movement: progress and setbacks.
- The rise of the suburbs: lifestyle changes and the American Dream.
- The Harlem Renaissance: cultural and artistic movements.
- The Dust Bowl: environmental disasters and migration.
- The Ku Klux Klan: racism and terror in America.
- The rise of the Christian Right: religion and politics.
- The Cuban Missile Crisis: America and the Soviet Union on the brink of war.
- The Manhattan Project: the development of nuclear weapons.
- The Bay of Pigs invasion: US foreign policy in Latin America.
- The Space Race: America’s competition with the Soviet Union.
- The Black Power movement: self-determination and political activism.
- The Stonewall riots: the birth of the modern LGBTQ+ rights movement.
- The War on Drugs: the impact on minority communities.
- The rise of hip hop: cultural expression and social commentary.
- The Iraq War: America’s intervention in the Middle East.
- The Tea Party movement: populism and conservative politics.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline protests: Indigenous rights and environmentalism.
- The #MeToo movement: sexual harassment and assault in the workplace.
- The 2020 presidential election: controversies and historical significance.
- The COVID-19 pandemic: social, economic, and political impacts.
- The climate crisis: America’s role in mitigating global warming.
- The opioid epidemic: public health crisis and government response.
- The gig economy: labor rights and the changing nature of work.
- The immigration debate: policies and social attitudes towards immigrants.
- The Black Lives Matter movement: racial justice and police reform.
- The Battle of Antietam: bloodiest day in American history and its impact on the Civil War.
- The Salem Witch Trials: causes and consequences of the infamous witch hunt.
- The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment: examining the unethical medical study conducted on African American men.
- The Stonewall Riots: analyzing the LGBTQ+ rights movement and the impact of the Stonewall uprising.
- The Bay of Pigs Invasion: evaluating the failed US attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro’s regime in Cuba.
- The Battle of Little Bighorn: examining the conflict between the US Army and Native American tribes.
- The Red Scare: analyzing the fear of communism in the US during the Cold War.
- The Manhattan Project: evaluating the development of the atomic bomb during World War II.
- The Seneca Falls Convention: examining the first women’s rights convention and its impact on American society.
- The My Lai Massacre: analyzing the massacre of Vietnamese civilians by US soldiers during the Vietnam War.
- The Treaty of Versailles: evaluating the impact of the treaty that ended World War I.
- The Dust Bowl Migration: examining the migration of farmers from the Great Plains to California during the Great Depression.
- The Black Lives Matter Movement: analyzing the movement for racial justice and police reform in the US.
- The Oregon Trail: examining the westward expansion of the US and the impact of the Oregon Trail.
- The 1968 Democratic National Convention: evaluating the protests and violence that occurred during the convention.
- The Indian Removal Act: examining the forced relocation of Native American tribes in the 1830s.
- The Great Society: evaluating the social and economic reforms of President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- The Wounded Knee Massacre: analyzing the US Army’s killing of Native American men, women, and children in 1890.
- The Ku Klux Klan: examining the rise and fall of the white supremacist group.
- The Gadsden Purchase: evaluating the US acquisition of land from Mexico in 1853.
- The Second Great Awakening: analyzing the religious revival of the early 19th century and its impact on American society.
- The Haymarket Riot: examining the labor unrest and violence that occurred during the 1886 Chicago labor rally.
- The Dust Bowl Art: analyzing the art and literature inspired by the Great Plains drought.
- The Roe v. Wade Decision: evaluating the impact of the landmark Supreme Court decision on abortion rights.
- The Salem Customs House: examining the significance of the customs house in Nathaniel Hawthorne’s novel “The Scarlet Letter.”
- The Homestead Strike: analyzing the violent labor dispute that occurred at the Carnegie Steel Company in 1892.
- The War of 1812: evaluating the US conflict with Great Britain and its impact on American society.
- The Sacco and Vanzetti Trial: examining the controversial trial of two Italian immigrants in the 1920s.
- The Scopes Monkey Trial: evaluating the trial that pitted science against religion in the 1920s.
- The Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty: examining the US treaty with Panama that led to the construction of the Panama Canal.
- The Bonus Army: analyzing the World War I veterans who marched on Washington, D.C. to demand government benefits.
- The O.J. Simpson Trial: evaluating the impact of the high-profile murder trial on American culture.
- The Iran-Contra Affair: examining the political scandal that involved the US selling weapons to Iran and using the profits to fund anti-communist rebels in Nicaragua.
- The Buffalo Soldiers: analyzing the history of the African American soldiers who served in the western frontier.
- The American Civil War: examining the factors that led to the conflict.
- The New Deal: evaluating the impact of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s economic policies.
- The Space Race: the competition between the US and Soviet Union to explore space.
- The Vietnam War: analyzing the US involvement in the conflict.
- The American Revolution: evaluating the role of key figures like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
- The Civil Rights Movement: examining the fight for racial equality in the US.
- The Gold Rush: exploring the impact of the California Gold Rush on American society.
- The Watergate Scandal: the political scandal that brought down President Nixon.
- The Great Migration: analyzing the movement of African Americans from the South to Northern cities.
- The Harlem Renaissance: examining the cultural and artistic movement of the 1920s.
- The Trail of Tears: evaluating the forced removal of Native American tribes from their lands.
- The Cold War: analyzing the political and economic tensions between the US and Soviet Union.
- The Industrial Revolution: examining the changes brought about by industrialization in the US.
- The Boston Tea Party: evaluating the impact of the colonial protest against British taxation.
- The Underground Railroad: analyzing the network that helped slaves escape to freedom.
- The Women’s Suffrage Movement: examining the fight for women’s right to vote.
- The Dust Bowl: evaluating the environmental and economic impact of the Great Plains drought.
- The Emancipation Proclamation: analyzing Lincoln’s decision to free slaves in Confederate states.
- The Transatlantic Slave Trade: examining the forced migration of Africans to the US.
- The Louisiana Purchase: analyzing the impact of the US acquisition of Louisiana from France.
- The Spanish Flu Pandemic: examining the global pandemic that killed millions.
- The Attack on Pearl Harbor: evaluating the impact of the Japanese attack on the US.
- The Montgomery Bus Boycott: analyzing the nonviolent protest against segregated public transportation.
- The Panama Canal: examining the construction of the canal and its impact on international trade.
- The Salem Maritime Trade: analyzing the economic and social impact of maritime trade in the colonial period.
- The Cuban Revolution: examining the overthrow of Batista and the rise of Fidel Castro.
- The Iraq War: analyzing the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.
- The New York City Draft Riots: evaluating the racial and class tensions that led to the riots.
- The Black Panther Party: examining the political and social impact of the Black Panther movement.
- The American West: analyzing the expansion and settlement of the American West.
- The Berlin Wall: examining the construction and fall of the Berlin Wall.
- The 19th Amendment: evaluating the impact of women’s right to vote on American society.
- The United States and the United Nations: analyzing the US involvement in the UN.
- The Jim Crow Laws: examining the laws that enforced racial segregation in the US.
- The Bracero Program: analyzing the US-Mexico labor agreement during World War II.
- The Korean War: evaluating the US involvement in the conflict.
- The Alamo: examining the battle that became a symbol of Texas independence.
- The Assassination of JFK: analyzing the impact of the assassination on American politics and society.
- The Great Chicago Fire: evaluating the impact of the fire that destroyed much of Chicago in 1871.
- The Americanization Movement: examining the movement that sought to assimilate immigrants into American culture.
- The Spanish American War: US imperialism and expansion in the late 19th century.
- The Red Scare: political repression and the fear of communism in the 20th century.
- The National Parks system: conservation and environmentalism in the US.
- The Women’s Liberation Movement: feminism and gender equality in the 1960s and 1970s.
- The Brown v. Board of Education decision: landmark ruling on desegregation in public schools.
- The Gulf of Mexico oil spill: environmental disaster and corporate responsibility.
- The American Revolution: causes, major events, and legacy.
- The Great Depression: economic crisis and government response in the 1930s.
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964: legislative landmark in the struggle for racial justice.
- The Dust Bowl: ecological disaster and its impact on American agriculture.
- The Waco Siege: government overreach and religious extremism.
- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire: workplace safety and labor reform.
- The Black Lives Matter movement: police brutality and racial justice in the 21st century.
- The Homestead Strike: labor dispute and the fight for workers’ rights.
- The Panama Canal: engineering marvel and US influence in Central America.
- The Marshall Plan: US aid to Europe after World War II and the Cold War.
- The Cuban Missile Crisis: nuclear brinksmanship and US-Soviet relations.
- The Montgomery Improvement Association: nonviolent resistance and the bus boycott.
- The Roe v. Wade decision: reproductive rights and the women’s movement.
- The My Lai Massacre: war crimes and US military conduct in Vietnam.
- The Salem-Keizer school desegregation case: busing and the limits of integration.
- The Flint sit-down strike: labor unrest and unionization in the auto industry.
- The transcontinental railroad: westward expansion and economic growth.
- The Iranian Hostage Crisis: US foreign policy and Middle East tensions.
- The Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty: US control of the Panama Canal and sovereignty issues.
- The Black Sox Scandal: corruption and gambling in Major League Baseball.
- The Freedom Summer: civil rights activism and voter registration in the South.
- The Salem maritime trade: piracy and international commerce in the colonial period.
- The Stono Rebellion: slave rebellion and resistance in South Carolina.
- The Alaska Purchase: US acquisition of Alaska and its impact on Native Alaskans.
- The United States and the League of Nations: US foreign policy and internationalism.
- The Chicago Seven trial: political dissent and government repression during the Vietnam War.
- The Reagan Revolution: conservative politics and the changing face of American politics.
- The American Indian Movement: Native American rights and activism.
- The Battle of Bull Run: first major battle of the Civil War and its impact.
- The Wounded Knee Occupation: Native American sovereignty and government response.
- The Whiskey Rebellion: taxation and the limits of federal authority in the early US.
- The Iran-Iraq War: US involvement and Middle East politics.
- The United States and the Cold War: US-Soviet relations and the arms race.
- The Ku Klux Klan: white supremacy and domestic terrorism in American history.
- The Battle of Midway: turning point in World War II and military strategy.
- The Montgomery Bus Boycott: analyzing the civil rights movement and its impact on segregation in the South.
- The Cuban Missile Crisis: evaluating the US and Soviet Union’s tense standoff in 1962.
- The Trail of Tears: examining the forced removal of Native American tribes from their lands in the 1830s.
- The Space Race: analyzing the competition between the US and Soviet Union to explore space.
- The Emancipation Proclamation: evaluating the impact of President Lincoln’s proclamation on slavery during the Civil War.
- The Black Panthers: examining the rise and fall of the Black Panther Party in the 1960s and 1970s.
- The Harlem Renaissance: analyzing the cultural movement that celebrated African American art, literature, and music in the 1920s and 1930s.
- The Korean War: evaluating the US and UN’s conflict with North Korea and China in the 1950s.
- The Boston Tea Party: examining the protest that sparked the American Revolution.
- The National Parks System: analyzing the history and impact of the National Parks System in the US.
- The New Deal: evaluating President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s economic reforms during the Great Depression.
- The Black Codes: examining the laws passed in Southern states after the Civil War to restrict the rights of African Americans.
- The Watergate Scandal: analyzing the political scandal that led to the resignation of President Nixon.
- The War on Drugs: evaluating the US government’s policies and actions to combat drug use and trafficking.
- The McCarthy Hearings: examining the anti-communist hearings led by Senator Joseph McCarthy in the 1950s.
- The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake: analyzing the disaster and its impact on the city and American society.
- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire: examining the tragedy that led to significant labor reforms in the early 20th century.
- The Rodney King Riots: analyzing the 1992 riots in Los Angeles following the acquittal of police officers in the beating of Rodney King.
- The Transcontinental Railroad: evaluating the construction of the railroad and its impact on American transportation and commerce.
- The New York Draft Riots: examining the violent protests against the Civil War draft in New York City in 1863.
- The Tulsa Race Massacre: analyzing the 1921 race massacre in Tulsa, Oklahoma and its aftermath.
- The 1918 Influenza Pandemic: examining the deadly global pandemic and its impact on American society.
- The Battle of Gettysburg: evaluating the pivotal Civil War battle and its impact on the war and American history.
- The Mexican-American War: analyzing the US conflict with Mexico and its impact on American expansion.
- The American Indian Movement: examining the Native American organization and its activism for Indigenous rights.
- The War in Iraq: evaluating the US-led war in Iraq and its impact on US foreign policy.
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964: analyzing the landmark legislation that prohibited discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
- The Jim Crow Laws: examining the laws that enforced racial segregation in the South after the Civil War.
- The Women’s Suffrage Movement: evaluating the fight for women’s right to vote in the US.
- The Anti-Vietnam War Movement: analyzing the protests and activism against the US involvement in the Vietnam War.
- The Donner Party: examining the ill-fated wagon train journey and its impact on westward expansion.
- The Great Migration: analyzing the mass movement of African Americans from the South to the North and West in the early 20th century.
- The Red Scare: examining the anti-communist hysteria in the US during the Cold War era.
- The Alamo: evaluating the 1836 battle in Texas and its significance in American history.
- The Cuban Revolution: analyzing the revolution led by Fidel Castro and its impact on US-Cuban relations.
- The Dust Bowl: examining the environmental disaster that devastated the Great Plains in the 1930s.
- The assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.: analyzing the impact of the civil rights leader’s death on American society.
- The California Gold Rush: evaluating the rush of people to California in search of gold in 1849.
- The Salem Witch Trials: examining the 1692 witch hunt and its impact on American society.
- The Reconstruction Era: analyzing the period of US history following the Civil War that aimed to rebuild the South and integrate newly freed slaves into society.
- The Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster: evaluating the tragic 1986 event that claimed the lives of seven astronauts.
- The Great Society: examining President Lyndon B. Johnson’s domestic policies in the 1960s and their impact on American society.
- The Bataan Death March: analyzing the brutal forced march of American and Filipino prisoners of war by the Japanese in World War II.
- The Detroit Race Riot: examining the violent 1967 riots in Detroit and their impact on American race relations.
- The Wounded Knee Massacre: analyzing the 1890 massacre of Sioux Indians by US troops and its impact on Native American relations with the US government.
- The Spanish-American War: evaluating the US conflict with Spain in 1898 and its impact on American imperialism.
- The Cold War: examining the geopolitical tensions between the US and Soviet Union from 1945-1991.
- The Underground Railroad: evaluating the network of secret routes and safe houses used to help enslaved people escape to freedom in the 19th century.
- The Tuskegee Airmen: examining the all-Black fighter squadron that served in World War II and their impact on American history.
- The Boston Massacre: analyzing the 1770 event in which British soldiers killed five colonists and its impact on American revolutionary sentiment.
- The 1968 Democratic National Convention: examining the protests and clashes between police and anti-war demonstrators during the convention.
- The Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision: evaluating the landmark decision legalizing abortion in the US in 1973.
- The Louisiana Territory: analyzing the US acquisition of the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803.
- The Stock Market Crash of 1929: examining the causes and impact of the crash that led to the Great Depression.
- The Lusitania sinking: analyzing the 1915 sinking of a British passenger ship by a German submarine and its impact on American entry into World War I.
- The Second Great Awakening: evaluating the religious revival movement in the US in the early 19th century and its impact on American society.
- The Black Panthers: analyzing the impact of the Black Panther Party on the civil rights movement and American society in the 1960s.
- The Mexican-American War: examining the US conflict with Mexico in the 1840s and its impact on US expansionism.
- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire: analyzing the 1911 tragedy and its impact on workplace safety regulations.
- The Transcontinental Railroad: evaluating the building of the railroad in the late 19th century and its impact on American transportation and economy.
- The Stono Rebellion: examining the 1739 slave uprising in South Carolina and its impact on American slavery laws.
- The Battle of Gettysburg: analyzing the 1863 battle and its significance in the Civil War.
- The Black Sox Scandal: evaluating the 1919 scandal in which members of the Chicago White Sox baseball team were accused of throwing the World Series.
- The Oregon Trail: examining the westward expansion of American settlers to the Pacific Northwest in the 19th century.
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964: analyzing the landmark legislation outlawing discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
- The Indian Removal Act: evaluating the 1830 law that authorized the forced removal of Native American tribes from their lands in the Southeastern US.
- The Battle of Antietam: analyzing the 1862 battle and its impact on the Civil War.
- The Iran-Contra Affair: examining the political scandal involving the Reagan administration’s secret arms sales to Iran and illegal funding of Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
- The Pullman Strike: analyzing the 1894 labor strike by railway workers and its impact on American labor laws.
- The 1920s: examining the cultural, social, and political changes that occurred during the “Roaring Twenties.”
- The Battle of Little Bighorn: analyzing the 1876 battle between US forces and Sioux and Cheyenne warriors and its impact on Native American relations with the US government.
- The Montgomery GI Bill: evaluating the legislation that provided education and training benefits to US veterans after World War II.
- The Black Codes: examining the laws enacted in the South after the Civil War that restricted the rights and freedoms of newly freed slaves.
- The Korean War: analyzing the US involvement in the conflict and its impact on American foreign policy.
- The Seneca Falls Convention: evaluating the 1848 convention advocating for women’s suffrage and its impact on the women’s rights movement.
- The Bay of Pigs Invasion: examining the failed 1961 US attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro’s government in Cuba.
- The Homestead Strike: analyzing the 1892 labor strike by steelworkers and its impact on American labor relations.
- The Gadsden Purchase: evaluating the US acquisition of land from Mexico in 1853 and its impact on American territorial expansion.
- The Harlem Renaissance: examining the cultural and artistic movement in the 1920s and 1930s that celebrated Black creativity and identity.
- The Fourteenth Amendment: analyzing the constitutional amendment that granted citizenship and equal protection under the law to all persons born or naturalized in the US.
- The Battle of New Orleans: evaluating the 1815 battle in which American forces led by Andrew Jackson defeated British troops and its impact on American nationalism.
- The Birmingham Campaign: analyzing the 1963 civil rights campaign in Alabama and its impact on the movement.
- The Pullman Palace Car Company: examining the company’s history and impact on American railroad travel and labor relations.
About the author
Researcher, Academic Writer, Web developer
You may also like
500+ Criminal Justice Research Topics
500+ Computer Science Research Topics
500+ Climate Change Research Topics
200+ Funny Research Topics
500+ Quantitative Research Titles and Topics
300+ Mental Health Research Topics
Find the best tips and advice to improve your writing. Or, have a top expert write your paper.
List of 100 U.S. and World History Topics Available for Free
Are you searching for history topics to use for an assignment? Sometimes it seems like developing great history essay topics can take several days. On the one hand, you want to research an idea that is challenging but on the other hand, you don’t want to make the assignment any harder than it has to be. Here is the best method for choosing great US history topics as well as a list of 100 great ideas for your consideration.
How Do I Choose A History Topic?
Students ask us this question all the time. The skills needed to develop history topics is difficult unless your teacher provides you with a pre-set from which to choose. Some of the techniques you can try are brainstorming, reading, and browsing blogs. You can also consider different approaches to answering the assignment prompt. All of these techniques can help you narrow your options to one or two U.S. history topics that can be used for a project of any length.
What Are Interesting History Topics?
Most United States history research paper topics that are interesting have common features: they push students to explore new areas or different theories and they thoroughly present an argument that makes a contribution to academic research. Students can spend years trying to figure out what makes for interesting history topics. We help to cut through this effort by putting together this list of 100 ideas to use for a research project or essay in a variety of subjects:
Topics To Write About For Black History Month
Here is a group of History research paper topics that should capture your audience’s attention. They are pulled from some of the most reputable history sites on the web:
- Why did it take so long for the American public to elect an African American President?
- Why do people still celebrate Black History Month when it should be a natural part of American History?
- Why is Harriet Tubman such an important person in American History?
- What role would you have played to help slaves escape?
- Why is Frederick Douglass such an important person in American History?
- How did the American Civil Rights movement improve race relations around the world?
- What role did George Washington Carver play in American History?
- What was it like to go to public schools before desegregation?
- What impact did President Obama’s election have on other countries?
- What can American’s learn by celebrating Black History Month?
American History Argumentative Essay Topics
Most American history research paper topics are for students that are more likely to be interested and invested in good topics for history research paper for a thesis project:
- What impact did the European colonization have on Native Americans in North America?
- How did the Indian Removal Act change the way the U.S. move toward Native Americans?
- Describe the reasons why taking a stand in history topics is still a necessary activity.
- What was the relationship Native Americans had with the environment?
- Explain the biggest theories behind the disappearance of the Colony of Roanoke.
- Describe the major arguments made between the Federalists and Anti-Federalists.
- What were the methods and goals of the early Utopian colonies?
- How did Manifest Destiny affect the way westward expansion became violent?
- Why did the American Congress pass the Indian Removal Act?
- How did the United States manage to provoke the Mexican War?
World History Topics For College-Aged Students
This list of World history research paper topics is meant for students that are learning interested in areas of the discipline that have not been studied commonly. Choosing a good topic is important for how to write a history thesis :
- How did the Salem Witch Trials affect religions around the world?
- Describe the reasons imperialism led to modern economic prosperity.
- How did the Mexican and American War affect global trade?
- What were the major causes of the 100 Years War?
- How did Medieval Crusades shape modern histories?
- Explain the South American colonization and its global impact.
- How did the Apartheid period impact global politics?
- Describe the events and causes that led to the Thirty Years War.
- What were the biggest military innovations between WWI and WWII?
- How European gender bias of the 1600s affect modern politics?
Conflict And Compromise History Topics
This list of conflict and compromise in history topics deals with issues currently in discussion on the web:
- Discuss how the Federalists and Anti-Federalists came to an agreement.
- What impact did John Brown’s attack on Harpers Ferry have in US history?
- The US and Mexican borders have shifted as a result of which agricultural conflict?
- How did the Battle of Pearl Harbor lead to U.S. and European relations?
- How was the Bush administration to blame for the damage Hurricane Katrina caused?
- What compromises did the Allies make at the Geneva Convention?
- What were the biggest reasons behind US involvement in Vietnam?
- Describe what the US had to concede after using atomic bombs.
- How did the Cotton Gin make it harder for the US to abolish slavery?
- How did British and American disagreements lead to military conflicts?
Triumph And Tragedy In History Topics
Do you need Interesting topics in history for a high school course? These ideas should be fine:
- How did some European countries rise to grow empires while others didn’t?
- Compare and contrast the military efforts of Churchill and Patton.
- Can Napoleon’s defeat in Russia be characterized as a tragedy?
- What were the major contributions to the U.S.’s victory over England?
- What were the possible causes of the Salem Witch Trials in the U.S.?
- What were the events leading to the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794?
- How did the Catholic Church contribute to the Spanish Inquisition?
- What was the U.S.’s reaction to the Jewish Holocaust?
- How did the Abolitionist Movement pave the way for the U.S. Depression?
- How did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 help today’s BLM movement?
Art History Research Paper Topics
History project topics dealing with the art throughout the centuries and their impact on culture:
- What does the art of Ancient Egypt symbolize about its culture?
- Are illuminated texts from the Middle Ages a form of art?
- Describe the influence medical science had on ancient sculptures.
- Explain the history of dramatic costumes in China and Japan.
- What impact did Christianity have on Renaissance art?
- How were Leonardo da Vinci’s early works influenced by the Bible?
- Is classical music the last veritable form of art?
- Why is Monet’s use of light in paintings influential?
- How does Salvador Dali inspire modern-day sculpture?
- Explain the modern architectural works of a major US city.
US History Regents Thematic Essay Topics
US history regents essay topics that are being discussed on the web today:
- What impact did the War of 1812 have on European diplomacy?
- What role did Ben Franklin have on the American Revolution?
- How did the War in Vietnam improve the living standards of its citizens?
- How did the American culture of the 60s inspire counter-culture in Europe?
- In what ways has American Foreign Policy changed in the last decade?
- How has President Trump affected the U.S.’s foreign relationships?
- What role did Alexander Hamilton play in the U.S.’s early government?
- What are the main reasons behind the dictatorships?
- What effects did the Cold War have on international diplomacy?
- How did the Russian Revolution influence labor movements in the U.S.?
Breaking Barriers in History Topics
Ten history paper topics that push the limits and are for a college or graduate-level course:
- How have political cartoons affected U.S. perception of movements?
- What does closing borders do to influence international perception?
- How has the urban experience been affected by labor laws?
- Discuss the impact the transcontinental railroad had on U.S. expansion.
- How has the American Indian Movement changed U.S. politics?
- Explain how the Kent State shootings created on-campus security.
- How did the Settlement House Movement in the U.S. affect neighborhoods?
- How did the Muckrakes change American journalism?
- How did the S.F. earthquake and fire in 1906 impact the Chinese community?
- What were the causes of the Springfield Race Riot of 1908?
Interesting History Topics For College Students
Interested in interesting us history topics? We’ve found that these ideas from discussions currently being held on the web:
- How did Abraham Lincoln’s assassination affect private security in the U.S.?
- How have relations between the U.S. and Russia changed in the 21 st century?
- Should people in the U.S. be allowed to place bans on historical enemies?
- Which events led to the Mexican-American War?
- Describe the legacy the American Civil War has had on domestic movements.
- What are the effects of the use of Agent Orange in the Vietnam War?
- What were the major factors leading to the U.S.’s entry to WWI?
- What were the reasons behind the passage of the Espionage Act of 1917?
- How did the Zimmermann Telegram affect U.S.-Mexican relations?
- How did the treatment of war prisoners in WWII lead to human rights movements?
More Interesting History Research Paper Topics
This list of interesting topics in US history is for younger students in college. They are simple enough for students at learning about this discipline:
- How did the relations between the two major parties change after the Reconstruction Era?
- Describe the major restorations made by the Union to improve Southern conditions.
- Explain the role women played during the American Civil War.
- What was the economic impact of the American Civil War?
- How did the U.S. manage to recover from the Great Depression of the 1930s?
- What has the rise in entrepreneurship meant to the U.S. economy?
- How did the Spanish Flu affect the way the U.S. takes care of its citizens?
- What were the major characteristics of the Hams and Eggs Movement?
- What caused the division in Christian values of the 20 th century?
- Why do monarchies still exist around the globe?
Get History Thesis Help Today
After looking at this list of US history research paper topics, it’s quite simple to see that the discipline is wide-ranging and incorporates a lot of diverse issues to discuss. While our US history essay topics can make it easier for you to find an idea that piques your interest, it can still be hard to settle on history research topics that fit your needs. This is why we recommend you give us a call so that one of our academic thesis writing experts can custom-write a list of topics to fit your needs. And we can do not just topics: we handle everything from one page essays to master thesis help . We’re available 24/7 all year round, so don’t hesitate to ask.
Make PhD experience your own
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Research Paper Guide
History Research Paper Topics
Last updated on: Feb 8, 2023
Good History Research Paper Topics For Your Help
By: Nathan D.
Reviewed By: Chris H.
Published on: Jan 4, 2022
Research papers can be boring and time-consuming for some high school and university students. However, students will easily create a successful paper if they pick a great research paper topic. Some professors assign topics and make them easy for students. At the same time, others leave the choice to students by giving them the freedom to choose what they want.
The following blog post is a helpful resource for students who need ideas on what topics they can write about. It includes some great topics from which you'll be able to choose the best topic or get inspiration for your paper.
History is a fascinating subject that we should all know more about. There are many topics, and it's always hard to pick which one will work best for your research paper.
However, for your help, we compiled a great list of history research paper topics that can be divided into different categories. So, pick the one that matches your interest and academic level.
On this Page
History Research Paper Topics For College Students
- Nuclear weapons and their influence on the world military clashes
- The Crusades and Jihad: What are the similarities and differences?
- Constitutional change in America: what is the role of the amendments?
- What does religion have to do with the colonist wars?
- How were ziggurats used in ancient Mesopotamia?
- Ancient conquests and their impact on modern world map development
- When were vaccines invented? Are they really useful?
- The influence of Japanese art on European culture
- How did segregation affect the American music industry?
- Is racial discrimination still a part of American society?
History Research Paper Topics Before 1877
- How did the border states perceive the battles of the Civil War?
- Impact of the 1964 elections on civil rights
- History before 1877: cause & effect
- Explain the strengths and weaknesses of the Fourteenth Amendment
- Explain American history before 1877
- Labor unions, conflicts, and strikes in the 1800s
- The British rule in the Americas and the first British settlements
- United States foreign policy in the early 19th century
- Why was the Bill of Rights added to the Constitution?
- The role of faith in American history before 1877
History Research Paper Topics Philippines
- The fundamentals of the Barrio Government System
- The origins of the name the Philippines
- Communist Party of the Philippines
- Trading with the Chinese
- The Consequences of Magellan’s murder
- US colonization of the Philippines
- Fire Mummies of the Philippines
- Christian-Muslim relations in the Philippines
- The religious belief system in the Philippines
- The reorganization of town governments under the Maura law of 1893
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Indian History Research Paper Topics
- What are the European influences evident in Indian culture?
- The establishment of the British East India company
- British colonialism in India
- The real problem at the heart of goa's Devasthan regulation
- Indian art and the impact of Hinduism
- The issues of the partitioning of India in 1947
- First European powers in India and their trade relations
- What were the devastating impacts of British rule in India?
- India’s first empire and the rise of Buddhism
- The political activism of Dalits in India
History Research Paper Topics 20th Century
- McKinley role for American imperialism
- The reasons and causes for the start of prohibition and its effects on subsequent US history
- The assassination of John Kennedy in 1963 and its consequences
- Were imperialism in the late 19th and early 20th century justified?
- The implication of atomic weapon
- China in the 20th century
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki events
- The role of America in the Cold War
- The analysis of Martin Luther King’s speeches
- Rise of mafia
History Research Paper Topics 1900s
- Queen Victoria died-World politics and the monarchy
- What was the role of women in the 1900s?
- The formation of the league of nations
- Psychiatric methods in early 1900s America
- The first electric washing machine
- The NAACP is first founded-politics and civil rights
- The New York subway opens-innovation and science
- The origin of the piano
- How did sports help promote equality for African Americans in the 1900s?
- Gender roles of the Sioux tribe before 1900
Art History Research Paper Topics
- Why were the sculptures of great importance in ancient Greece?
- Comparative analysis of Mikhail Vrubel and Gustave Moreau art
- The relevance of Abbey Church of St. Denis in Gothic architecture
- The shifts in the art development in ancient Greece
- Can impressionism be termed as simple art or art for the simple?
- The significance of Christian symbols in Renaissance art
- The influence of Hinduism on art from ancient India
- Color psychology in the works of Kazimir Malevich.
- The Influences of Sumerian art found in Hittite art creations
- Construction of the Great Wall of China
European History Research Paper Topics
- European colonization impact on Native Americans
- The history of the French Revolution: new perspectives from Chartier and Furet
- What made Pope Alexander VI controversial?
- Great mistakes of Napoleon
- How did Venetian history affect present Europe?
- The role of politics in the spread of Christianity across Europe
- How were cities developed in Medieval Europe?
- Historical development of East European Jewry
- The main battles of World War I
- Between World War I and World War II, what are the military innovations?
Environmental History Research Paper Topics
- What is the little ice age, and what impact it may have on the climate?
- Landscape painters and environmental photography
- Renewable energy
- Discuss the most significant causes of climate change
- Global warming: what could happen if ice glaciers melt?
- Prehistoric wildlife and its importance in future eco-systems
- How do organisms survive under extreme conditions?
- What effects does biodiversity loss have on humanity?
- Ecosystem health
- Biomes and Ecosystems. What is considered a biome?
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Theatre History History Research Paper Topics
- Attitudes towards women and their role in American musical theatre
- Puppetry influence on cartoons these days
- President of the greater Euclid little theatre
- Women in restoration theatre: stages of liberation
- Theatre role as a tool in social commentary
- Artaud’s theatre influence
- Ancient Greek theatre and drama
- Theatre play
- State theatre
- The use of historically accurate costumes on stage
Interesting History Research Paper Topics
- The process of abolition of slavery and its meaning for the world
- Timeline of the 21st century
- American revolution facts
- How have taxes been introduced throughout USA history?
- Queen Elizabeth. The truth about her life.
- The conditions of life for soldiers in the First Crusade
- African American soldiers during the war
- Money and its uses in the Ancient Greek world
- The power of denial: Buddhism, purity, and gender
- Polio vaccines: historical development, types, and efficiency
Us History Research Paper Topics
- Industrialization effects on American social movements
- Amelia Earhart: Who was she? What is the truth about her life and death?
- Effect of the cotton gin on economy and slaves labor
- What did “American” mean in the 18th century?
- The oldest universities: who founded them?
- How and why were National Parks created?
- Immigrants and their ideas of the American Dream
- What did France lose because of Louisiana’s purchase?
- How did the war affect social life and citizens’ psychology?
- German-American immigration in 1854-1894
19th Century American History Research Paper Topics
- What struggles did women face in the Nineteenth Amendment?
- The genre of black popular music
- American south religious practices
- Tobacco trade in early American colonies
- The beginning of slavery in British America and the middle passage
- Women’s suffrage movement
- 1968 democratic convention in Chicago
- Was there a need to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
- The role of the United States during World War 2
- What conditions were faced by the Americans in the 19th century?
Tips for Choosing the Best History Research Paper Topic
- Here are some things to consider when choosing the topic for a history research paper.
- Make sure your topic meets the assignment requirements. Consult your professor for feedback if you're not sure, and then use their input as guidance in completing it.
- Choose a topic that interests you and will make the writing process more engaging.
- A topic that is too broad might seem impossible to research. But, the right scope will enable you to find information relevant and focused.
- Do some research and then select the topic.
- Read other researchers’ thesis statements and get an idea from them.
- Find history research papers from the past and read them for a better understanding.
- Keep the audience’s interest in mind and then choose the topic.
Keep these points in your mind, and then select the best topic.
We have provided you with many interesting topics; now, your research paper writing phase has become easy. But, if you still have any confusion, simply consult the best essay writing service 5StarEssays.com .
We offer the best paper writing services and have helped countless students just like you with their academic tasks. Now, finding a good history topic is easy with the help of our expert writers.
So, don’t hesitate to contact us and avail the best write essay for me? writing help.
Masters Essay, College Admission Essay
Nathan completed his Ph.D. in journalism and has been writing articles for well-respected publications for many years now. His work is carefully researched and insightful, showing a true passion for the written word. Nathan's clients appreciate his expertise, deep understanding of the process, and ability to communicate difficult concepts clearly.
Was This Blog Helpful?
- How to Write a Research Paper - Writing Guide & Examples
- 20+ Thesis Statement Examples for Research Papers
- Learn How to Write an Abstract - Steps & Examples
- How to Write a Literature Review: Steps and Outline
- How to Start a Research Paper - 9 Simple Steps
- Psychology Research Topics - 170+ Ideas for Your Paper
- How to Write a Hypothesis - A Step-by-Step Guide
- Writing a Research Proposal - Outline, Format, and Examples
- Good Research Paper Topics & Ideas for Students
- How to Cite a Research Paper with the Help of Examples
- How to Write a Research Methodology in 10 Simple Steps
- Research Paper Outline - Basic Format & Sample
- Research Paper Example: Samples to Write a Research Paper
- Great Sociology Research Topics & Ideas (2022-2023)
People Also Read
- how to write an essay
- writing reflective essay
- essay writing
- sociology research topics
- apa vs mla format
Burdened With Assignments?
© 2023 - All rights reserved
2000+ SATISFIED STUDENTS
95% Satisfaction RATE
30 Days Money-back GUARANTEE
95% Success RATE
© 2023 5StarEssays.com. All rights reserved.
LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
SIGN UP TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Your phone no.
- Password Password must be minimum 8 characters.
- Confirm Password
- SEND PASSWORD
Interesting American History Research Paper Topics
In this page, we present a comprehensive guide to finding and selecting interesting American history research paper topics . Whether you are a history student or an academic researcher, this resource aims to provide you with a wealth of options and insights to uncover the captivating stories and significant events that have shaped the American experience. With a focus on engaging and thought-provoking subject matter, our list of interesting American history research paper topics covers a wide range of categories and subtopics. By delving into these captivating areas, you can delve into the rich tapestry of American history and develop a research paper that offers fresh perspectives and compelling narratives.
100 Interesting American History Research Paper Topics
Exploring the fascinating realms of American history offers students and researchers a multitude of opportunities to delve into captivating topics. In this section, we present a comprehensive list of interesting American history research paper topics, carefully organized into 10 categories. From political milestones to social movements, cultural shifts, and economic transformations, these topics provide a broad spectrum of ideas for conducting in-depth research and analysis. Let’s dive into the rich tapestry of interesting American history research paper topics and discover the intriguing topics that await exploration.
Academic Writing, Editing, Proofreading, And Problem Solving Services
Get 10% off with fall23 discount code, colonial america.
- The impact of the Mayflower Compact on the development of self-governance in early America
- The Salem Witch Trials: Causes, consequences, and the cultural context of witchcraft accusations
- The role of religious freedom in the establishment of the thirteen colonies
- Slavery in Colonial America: Origins, expansion, and resistance
- The influence of the Great Awakening on the religious landscape of Colonial America
- The founding of Jamestown: Challenges, triumphs, and the establishment of the first permanent English settlement
- The interaction between Native American tribes and European colonizers in early America
- The impact of the French and Indian War on the relationship between the American colonies and the British Empire
- The evolution of the Puritan society in New England: Ideals, conflicts, and legacy
- The Boston Tea Party: Causes, significance, and its role in igniting the American Revolution
Revolutionary Era and the Founding of the Nation
- The ideological roots of the American Revolution: Enlightenment philosophy and its influence on the Founding Fathers
- The role of women in the American Revolution: Activism, contributions, and challenges
- The drafting and impact of the Declaration of Independence: Ideas, influences, and its enduring legacy
- The Constitutional Convention: Debates, compromises, and the creation of the U.S. Constitution
- Alexander Hamilton and the economic policies that shaped early America
- The Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist debates: Perspectives on government and the formation of political parties
- The impact of the American Revolution on slavery and the abolitionist movement
- The Battle of Yorktown: Turning point of the Revolutionary War and its consequences
- The emergence of political cartoons during the Revolutionary Era and their role in shaping public opinion
- The Whiskey Rebellion: Causes, consequences, and its significance in early American history
Westward Expansion and Manifest Destiny
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition: Goals, challenges, and their impact on westward expansion
- The Louisiana Purchase: Motivations, negotiations, and the consequences for American expansion
- The Oregon Trail: Challenges, hardships, and the experiences of pioneers
- The Mexican-American War: Causes, outcomes, and its impact on territorial expansion
- The Gold Rush of 1849: Socioeconomic effects and its influence on westward migration
- Native American displacement and resistance during westward expansion
- The completion of the Transcontinental Railroad: Technological advancements, economic implications, and cultural transformations
- The Homestead Act of 1862: Promises, challenges, and its effects on settlement in the West
- The Battle of Little Bighorn: Perspectives, myths, and the clash of cultures
- The closing of the American frontier: Consequences and the legacy of westward expansion
Civil War and Reconstruction
- The causes and consequences of the Civil War: Political, economic, and social factors
- The Emancipation Proclamation: Impact, limitations, and its significance for African Americans
- The role of women during the Civil War: Nurses, spies, and activists
- Abraham Lincoln: Leadership, speeches, and the legacy of his presidency
- Reconstruction policies: Successes, failures, and their long-term effects on the nation
- The impact of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments on the rights of African Americans
- The Freedmen’s Bureau: Mission, challenges, and its efforts to assist newly emancipated slaves
- The Ku Klux Klan: Origins, activities, and its influence on racial tensions during Reconstruction
- The assassination of Abraham Lincoln: Conspiracies, aftermath, and its impact on national healing
- The Compromise of 1877: Resolving the disputed presidential election and its implications for Reconstruction
Progressive Era and the Gilded Age
- The rise of industrialization in America: Technological advancements, urbanization, and social transformations
- The Progressive Movement: Goals, reforms, and its impact on American society and politics
- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire: Tragedy, labor activism, and the fight for workplace safety regulations
- The Populist Party: Origins, demands, and its influence on political discourse
- The role of women in the suffrage movement: Leaders, strategies, and the fight for voting rights
- Theodore Roosevelt and the conservation movement: Policies, national parks, and environmental advocacy
- The Haymarket Affair: Labor unrest, anarchist influences, and the impact on labor movements
- The Spanish-American War: Motivations, outcomes, and its impact on American imperialism
- The Great Railroad Strike of 1877: Causes, consequences, and its significance in labor history
- The Panama Canal: Construction, geopolitical implications, and its role in international trade
World War I and the Roaring Twenties
- America’s entry into World War I: Motivations, consequences, and the impact on American society
- The Treaty of Versailles: Negotiations, implications, and the U.S. decision not to ratify
- The Harlem Renaissance: Cultural movements, artistic achievements, and the African American experience
- Prohibition and the rise of organized crime: Causes, enforcement, and social consequences
- The Scopes Trial: Evolution vs. creationism, the clash of science and religion, and its legal ramifications
- The Red Scare: Anti-communist hysteria, political repression, and its effects on civil liberties
- The Jazz Age: Music, fashion, and the changing social dynamics of the 1920s
- Women’s suffrage and the 19th Amendment: Struggles, victories, and the changing role of women in society
- The Great Migration: Causes, experiences, and the impact of African Americans moving from the South to urban centers
- The Wall Street Crash of 1929: Causes, consequences, and its role in the onset of the Great Depression
The Great Depression and New Deal Era
- The causes and impact of the Great Depression on American society and the global economy
- The Dust Bowl: Environmental disaster, migration, and government responses
- The New Deal: Programs, policies, and their effectiveness in addressing the economic crisis
- The role of Eleanor Roosevelt: Activism, advocacy, and her influence on social reform
- The Bonus Army: Protests, the military response, and its impact on public opinion
- The Federal Writers’ Project: Literary contributions, folklore collection, and the preservation of American culture
- The art of the Great Depression: Visual expressions of hardship, resilience, and social commentary
- The Wagner Act: Labor rights, unionization, and its impact on workers’ rights
- The Social Security Act: Origins, provisions, and its legacy in social welfare programs
- The Dust Bowl migration and its influence on the demographic and cultural landscape of the West Coast
World War II and Post-War America
- America’s entry into World War II: Pearl Harbor, the home front, and the war effort
- The Manhattan Project: Development of the atomic bomb, ethical implications, and its role in ending the war
- Japanese internment during World War II: Causes, consequences, and the violation of civil liberties
- The GI Bill: Educational opportunities, housing benefits, and its impact on returning veterans
- The Marshall Plan: Reconstruction of Europe, containment policy, and America’s role in post-war recovery
- The Cold War: Origins, conflicts, and the impact on American society and foreign policy
- The Civil Rights Movement: Leaders, strategies, and the fight for racial equality
- McCarthyism and the Red Scare: Communist witch hunts, political repression, and the Hollywood blacklist
- The Korean War: Causes, outcomes, and its impact on the balance of power in Asia
- The Baby Boom: Population growth, suburbanization, and the changing dynamics of American family life
Civil Rights Movement and Social Change
- Brown v. Board of Education: Segregation, desegregation, and the landmark Supreme Court decision
- The Montgomery Bus Boycott: Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., and the power of nonviolent resistance
- The March on Washington: Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech and its impact on civil rights legislation
- The Black Panther Party: Activism, community organizing, and the struggle for racial justice
- The Feminist Movement: Women’s liberation, reproductive rights, and the fight for gender equality
- The Stonewall Riots: LGBTQ+ activism, the birth of the gay rights movement, and the fight for equal rights
- The Indian Civil Rights Act of 1968: Native American sovereignty, activism, and the pursuit of self-determination
- The Chicano Movement: Immigration, labor rights, and the fight for social and political equality
- The Counterculture of the 1960s: Anti-war protests, hippie culture, and the quest for social change
- The Environmental Movement: Rachel Carson, Earth Day, and the fight for environmental awareness and conservation
Modern America and Contemporary Issues
- The Watergate Scandal: Political corruption, investigative journalism, and its impact on American politics
- The Reagan Era: Conservative politics, economic policies, and the redefinition of American conservatism
- The 9/11 Attacks: Causes, consequences, and the impact on national security and foreign policy
- The rise of social media: Transformations in communication, privacy concerns, and the influence on society
- The Black Lives Matter movement: Racial justice, police brutality, and the fight against systemic racism
- The #MeToo movement: Sexual harassment, gender equality, and the call for social change
- The opioid crisis: Causes, consequences, and the efforts to address the epidemic
- The presidency of Barack Obama: Historical significance, policies, and the impact on American society
- Immigration policy in the 21st century: Debates, challenges, and the changing demographics of America
- Climate change and environmental activism: The scientific consensus, policy debates, and the quest for sustainable solutions
This comprehensive list of interesting American history research paper topics provides a wide array of options for students and researchers to explore the captivating stories and pivotal moments in American history. From the early colonial period to modern-day issues, these topics offer abundant opportunities for in-depth research, critical analysis, and engaging writing. By selecting a topic aligned with personal interests and academic goals, students can embark on a rewarding journey of discovery and contribute to the rich tapestry of American historical scholarship.
American History: Exploring the Range of Interesting Research Paper Topics
American history is a captivating and diverse subject that encompasses a vast array of fascinating topics. From the early colonization of the continent to the modern era, the history of the United States is filled with remarkable events, influential figures, and transformative social movements. In this article, we will explore the breadth and depth of interesting American history research paper topics, providing students with a rich tapestry of subjects to investigate and analyze. By delving into these topics, students can gain a deeper understanding of the nation’s past, its complexities, and its enduring impact on the present.
- Colonial America : Colonial America serves as the foundation of American history, and exploring its various aspects can offer valuable insights. Topics in this category may include the establishment and development of the Jamestown settlement, the religious beliefs and social structure of Puritanism in early New England, the causes and consequences of the Salem Witch Trials, the impact of Native American-European encounters, and the role of women in colonial society.
- Revolutionary Period and the Founding Fathers : The Revolutionary Period marked a significant turning point in American history. Research paper topics in this category can focus on the causes and significance of the American Revolution, the Declaration of Independence and its impact on American identity, the role of key Founding Fathers such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin, the Revolutionary War’s military strategies and key battles, and the transition from the Articles of Confederation to the U.S. Constitution.
- Westward Expansion and Manifest Destiny : The concept of Manifest Destiny and westward expansion played a pivotal role in shaping America. Research topics may include the motivations and impact of the Louisiana Purchase, the experiences and challenges of pioneers on the Oregon Trail, the social and economic transformations brought about by the California Gold Rush, the impact of the Mexican-American War on territorial expansion, and the resistance and struggles of Native American tribes.
- Civil War and Reconstruction : The Civil War and Reconstruction era remain critical periods in American history. Students can explore topics such as the causes and consequences of the Civil War, key battles and military strategies, the leadership and speeches of Abraham Lincoln, the Emancipation Proclamation and its significance in ending slavery, and the policies and impact of the Reconstruction period on the nation.
- Industrialization and the Gilded Age : The Gilded Age witnessed rapid industrialization and significant social changes. Research paper topics in this category may include the rise of industrialization and its technological advancements, the labor movement and the fight for workers’ rights, the Progressive Era’s social reforms and political changes, the women’s suffrage movement and the struggle for gender equality, and the challenges and contributions of immigration and urbanization.
- World Wars and the Interwar Period : The World Wars and the interwar period shaped America’s position on the global stage. Students can explore topics such as America’s involvement in World War I, the cultural developments and societal changes of the Roaring Twenties, the causes and impact of the Great Depression, America’s role in World War II and the home front experience, and the post-war era marked by the Cold War and the rise of the United States as a global superpower.
- Civil Rights Movement and Social Change : The Civil Rights Movement and other social movements brought about significant change in American society. Research paper topics may include key events and figures of the Civil Rights Movement, the struggle for equality and justice, the impact of leaders like Martin Luther King Jr., the fight for women’s rights and LGBTQ+ rights, and the broader social changes of the 1960s and beyond.
- Cultural and Intellectual Movements : Exploring cultural and intellectual movements provides insights into American society. Research topics can cover areas such as the Harlem Renaissance, the Beat Generation and counterculture movements, the feminist movement and women’s liberation, the impact of popular culture, and the influence of art, literature, and music on American society.
- Economic and Industrial Development : America’s economic and industrial development has had a profound impact on its history. Research paper topics in this category can include the rise of big business and monopolies, the impact of technological advancements such as the automobile and electricity, the evolution of labor and consumerism, the Great Depression and its consequences, and the challenges and transformations of the modern economy.
- Foreign Policy and International Relations : American foreign policy and international relations have shaped the nation’s role on the global stage. Topics in this category may include America’s involvement in wars and conflicts, diplomatic relations with other nations, the Cold War and its impact on American society, the evolution of globalization, and contemporary foreign policy challenges.
Exploring the diverse and intriguing aspects of American history through research paper topics allows students to deepen their understanding of the nation’s past. From the early colonization to modern-day challenges, the range of interesting American history research paper topics is vast and captivating. By selecting an interesting research paper topic and delving into the associated historical context, students can develop critical thinking skills, expand their knowledge, and contribute to the ongoing exploration of America’s rich and complex history.
How to Choose an Interesting Topic in American History
Selecting an engaging and thought-provoking research paper topic is essential for a successful study in American history. With such a vast and rich historical landscape, it can be challenging to narrow down your focus and choose a topic that piques your interest while offering ample opportunities for exploration. In this section, we will provide you with valuable tips on how to choose interesting American history research paper topics that align with your academic goals and captivate your audience.
- Identify Your Interests and Passions : Start by reflecting on your personal interests and passions within American history. Are you fascinated by a particular period, such as the Revolutionary War or the Civil Rights Movement? Do you have a keen interest in social, political, or cultural aspects of American history? By selecting a topic that genuinely interests you, you will be more motivated to delve into the research and produce a compelling paper.
- Consider Unexplored or Understudied Areas : While popular topics in American history are widely discussed, consider exploring lesser-known or understudied areas. Look for hidden narratives, forgotten voices, or overlooked events that offer new perspectives on American history. This approach not only allows you to contribute to the field but also adds novelty and intrigue to your research paper.
- Focus on Specific Regions or Communities : American history is diverse and encompasses a wide range of regions, communities, and cultures. Narrowing down your topic to a specific geographic area or community can provide a more focused and nuanced analysis. For example, you may choose to explore the experiences of Native American tribes in a particular region, the contributions of a specific immigrant group, or the impact of a social movement in a particular city.
- Examine Social and Cultural Aspects : American history is not just about politics and wars; it encompasses social and cultural aspects that have shaped the nation. Consider topics that delve into art, literature, music, popular culture, and social movements. Analyze the impact of cultural icons, explore the evolution of American identity, or study the connections between art and politics during a particular era.
- Analyze Controversial Issues and Debates : Controversial issues and debates in American history offer ample opportunities for in-depth analysis and critical thinking. Select a topic that sparks debate or challenges traditional narratives. For example, you may examine the controversies surrounding the American Revolution, the complexities of Reconstruction, or the ongoing debates about immigration policies throughout history.
- Utilize Primary Sources : Incorporating primary sources into your research can add depth and authenticity to your paper. Primary sources include documents, diaries, letters, speeches, photographs, and other materials created during the period you are studying. By analyzing firsthand accounts, you can gain unique insights and provide a fresh perspective on your chosen topic.
- Consult Secondary Sources : Secondary sources, such as scholarly books, articles, and research papers, provide a foundation of knowledge and offer different interpretations of historical events. Consult reputable secondary sources to gain a comprehensive understanding of your topic and to situate your research within the broader historical context.
- Consider Interdisciplinary Approaches : American history intersects with various disciplines, such as sociology, literature, political science, and economics. Consider adopting an interdisciplinary approach to your research paper by integrating insights from multiple fields. This can add depth and complexity to your analysis and contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of the chosen topic.
- Evaluate Feasibility and Availability of Sources : Before finalizing your topic, assess the feasibility of conducting research and the availability of relevant sources. Ensure that there are sufficient primary and secondary sources accessible to you. If necessary, consult librarians, databases, and archival collections to determine the availability and accessibility of materials related to your chosen topic.
- Refine and Narrow Your Topic : Once you have identified a potential research topic, refine and narrow it down to ensure it is manageable within the scope of your research paper. Consider the time frame, geographical boundaries, and specific research questions you wish to explore. This process will help you maintain focus and produce a well-structured and coherent paper.
Choosing an interesting American history research paper topic is an exciting yet challenging task. By identifying your interests, exploring understudied areas, considering specific regions or communities, examining social and cultural aspects, analyzing controversies, utilizing primary and secondary sources, adopting interdisciplinary approaches, evaluating feasibility, and refining your topic, you can select a captivating subject that engages both you and your audience. Remember, a well-chosen topic sets the stage for a compelling research paper that contributes to the ongoing exploration of American history.
How to Write an American History Research Paper
Writing an interesting and captivating research paper on American history requires careful planning, thorough research, and effective writing strategies. Whether you are exploring a significant event, analyzing social movements, or examining the lives of influential figures, the following tips will guide you in crafting a compelling and well-structured research paper that engages your readers and showcases your understanding of American history.
- Develop a Clear and Concise Thesis Statement : A strong thesis statement is the foundation of your research paper. It should clearly state your argument or main idea and provide a roadmap for your paper. Ensure that your thesis statement is focused, specific, and supported by evidence from your research.
- Conduct In-Depth Research : Thorough research is crucial for an interesting American history research paper. Explore primary and secondary sources to gather relevant information, facts, and perspectives on your chosen topic. Utilize libraries, archives, databases, and reputable online sources to access a wide range of materials.
- Analyze Primary and Secondary Sources : Examine primary sources, such as documents, letters, diaries, speeches, and photographs, to gain firsthand insights into the historical context you are studying. Analyze secondary sources, including scholarly books and articles, to understand different interpretations and scholarly debates surrounding your topic. By critically evaluating sources, you can present a well-informed and balanced argument.
- Organize Your Research and Create an Outline : Organize your research findings and create a well-structured outline for your research paper. An outline helps you establish a logical flow and ensure that your arguments are presented coherently. Divide your paper into sections, each focusing on a specific aspect of your topic, and use subheadings to further organize your ideas.
- Craft Engaging Introductions and Conclusions : Capture your readers’ attention with an engaging introduction that presents the significance of your research topic and provides context for your study. Introduce your thesis statement and outline the key points you will address in your paper. In your conclusion, summarize your main arguments, restate your thesis, and offer some final thoughts or insights.
- Use Clear and Concise Language : Write in a clear and concise manner to effectively communicate your ideas. Avoid excessive jargon and complex language that may confuse your readers. Use active voice, straightforward sentences, and transition words to ensure a smooth and coherent flow of information.
- Present Strong Evidence and Support Your Claims : Support your arguments and claims with strong evidence from your research. Cite your sources accurately using the appropriate citation style (such as APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian) to give credit to the original authors and to demonstrate the credibility of your work. Use a mix of direct quotes, paraphrases, and summaries to incorporate evidence into your paper.
- Provide Historical Context : Place your research within the broader historical context to help readers understand the significance of your topic. Discuss relevant events, social conditions, cultural influences, and political factors that shaped the period you are studying. Providing historical context enhances the depth and understanding of your research paper.
- Analyze and Interpret Data : An interesting American history research paper goes beyond presenting facts and data. Analyze and interpret the information you have gathered to provide insightful perspectives and draw meaningful conclusions. Consider different viewpoints, historical interpretations, and the implications of your findings.
- Revise and Edit : Revision and editing are essential to polish your research paper and ensure its clarity and coherence. Review your paper for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure errors. Check the flow of your arguments and make sure your ideas are presented logically. Seek feedback from peers, instructors, or writing centers to gain valuable insights and improve your paper.
Writing an interesting American history research paper requires a combination of diligent research, critical thinking, and effective writing skills. By developing a clear thesis statement, conducting in-depth research, analyzing primary and secondary sources, organizing your ideas, using clear language, providing strong evidence, offering historical context, analyzing data, and revising and editing your work, you can create a research paper that engages your readers and contributes to the exploration of American history. Remember, the journey of writing a research paper is an opportunity to deepen your understanding of the subject matter and share your knowledge with others.
iResearchNet’s Writing Services
At iResearchNet, we understand the challenges that students face when it comes to writing American history research papers. The complexities of historical analysis, extensive research requirements, and the pressure to deliver a well-written paper can be overwhelming. That’s why we offer our professional writing services to provide students with expert assistance in crafting high-quality American history research papers. With our team of experienced writers, custom solutions, and commitment to excellence, we are your trusted partner in achieving academic success.
- Expert Degree-Holding Writers : At iResearchNet, we have a team of expert writers with advanced degrees in history. They have a deep understanding of American history, its diverse periods, and significant events. Our writers possess the knowledge and expertise to undertake research papers on various topics, ensuring accurate and well-informed content.
- Custom Written Works : We believe in delivering original and custom-written research papers tailored to your specific requirements. Our writers follow your instructions and guidelines to create unique and plagiarism-free papers. They conduct thorough research, analyze relevant sources, and present well-structured and coherent arguments.
- In-Depth Research : Our writers are skilled in conducting in-depth research on American history topics. They have access to extensive databases, scholarly journals, and reputable sources, allowing them to gather reliable and up-to-date information. They delve into primary and secondary sources, ensuring the incorporation of diverse perspectives and scholarly debates.
- Custom Formatting : We understand the importance of adhering to specific formatting styles when writing research papers. Whether it’s APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard, or any other style, our writers are well-versed in the requirements and guidelines. They ensure that your paper follows the designated formatting style consistently and accurately.
- Top Quality : Quality is our utmost priority. We are committed to delivering research papers that meet the highest academic standards. Our writers pay attention to detail, conduct thorough proofreading and editing, and ensure the coherence, clarity, and logical flow of your paper. We strive for excellence in every aspect of our work.
- Customized Solutions : We recognize that every research paper is unique, and each student has specific requirements. Our writing services are tailored to your individual needs. Whether you need assistance with topic selection, research guidance, or complete paper writing, we offer customized solutions to meet your academic goals.
- Flexible Pricing : We understand the financial constraints of students. Our pricing structure is designed to be flexible and affordable. We offer competitive rates for our writing services, ensuring that you receive exceptional value for your investment. Our transparent pricing policy ensures no hidden costs or additional charges.
- Short Deadlines : We are aware of the time constraints students face when it comes to research paper deadlines. Our writers are equipped to handle urgent assignments with short deadlines. Whether you need a paper in a few hours or a few days, we strive to deliver your work promptly without compromising on quality.
- Timely Delivery : Meeting deadlines is essential, and we are committed to timely delivery. We understand the importance of submitting your research paper on time to ensure academic success. Our writers work efficiently to complete your paper within the agreed-upon timeframe, allowing you ample time for review and submission.
- 24/7 Support : We provide round-the-clock customer support to address any queries or concerns you may have. Our support team is available 24/7 to assist you at any stage of the writing process. Whether you have questions about the ordering process, need updates on your paper, or require clarification on any aspect, we are here to provide timely assistance.
- Absolute Privacy : We prioritize the privacy and confidentiality of our clients. We understand the sensitivity of personal information and academic work. Rest assured that all your details and interactions with us are kept strictly confidential. We adhere to strict privacy policies to ensure the protection of your data.
- Easy Order Tracking : With our user-friendly platform, you can easily track the progress of your order. You can communicate directly with your assigned writer, provide additional instructions or materials, and stay updated on the status of your research paper. Our streamlined process ensures a seamless experience.
- Money Back Guarantee : We are confident in the quality of our services and the expertise of our writers. We offer a money-back guarantee to provide you with peace of mind. If you are not satisfied with the final product or if we fail to meet your requirements, we will refund your payment.
At iResearchNet, we are dedicated to supporting students in their American history research paper endeavors. With our team of expert writers, custom solutions, commitment to quality, and customer-oriented approach, we are your trusted partner in achieving academic success. Our writing services offer personalized assistance, reliable research, and timely delivery, allowing you to focus on your studies while we take care of your research paper needs. Unleash your potential with iResearchNet and experience the difference in your academic journey.
Achieve Excellence in Your American History Research Papers
Are you struggling with your American history research papers? Are you looking for expert guidance and support to elevate your academic performance? Look no further! iResearchNet is here to unleash your potential and help you excel in your American history studies. With our professional writing services, you can access top-notch assistance from experienced writers, ensuring high-quality research papers that meet the highest academic standards. Take advantage of our comprehensive services and unleash your full potential as a history student.
Don’t let the challenges of writing American history research papers hold you back. Unleash your potential with iResearchNet’s professional writing services. Our team of expert writers, customized solutions, timely delivery, and exceptional customer support are here to support you in your academic journey. Let us handle the complexities of research and writing while you focus on expanding your knowledge and pursuing your passions. With iResearchNet, you can achieve excellence in your American history research papers and unlock your full potential as a history student.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to elevate your academic performance. Order your custom American history research paper from iResearchNet today and experience the difference in quality, expertise, and support. Unleash your potential and achieve the academic success you deserve. Place your order now and let us be your trusted partner in your American history research paper journey.
ORDER HIGH QUALITY CUSTOM PAPER
Summer Deal! Top-rated Essay Writers Online! Get 50% OFF On Your First Essay Order!
Your 50% Off + Real Help Await!
Skip the Bots, Talk to Us
Have us text you Estimated wait time: about 2 minutes
Have us call you Estimated wait time: about 5 minutes
Chat with support Estimated wait time: about 3 minutes
Email us The current response time is 6 hours
Have us text you
Estimated wait time: about 2 minutes
We will contact you shortly!
Have us call you
Estimated wait time: about 5 minutes
The current response time is 6 hours
Please reach out to us at:
How To Write A Research Paper
History Research Paper Topics
200+ Outstanding History Research Paper Topics With Expert Tips
24 min read
Published on: Mar 22, 2023
Last updated on: Jul 21, 2023
People also read
The Ultimate Guide On How To Write A Research Paper
Learn How to Write a Research Proposal
A Comprehensive Guide to Creating a Research Paper Outline
Types of Research - Methodologies and Characteristics
300+ Engaging Research Paper Topics to Get You Started
Interesting Psychology Research Topics & Ideas
Qualitative Research - Types, Methods & Examples
Understanding Quantitative Research - Definition, Types, Examples, And More
Research Paper Example - Examples for Different Formats
How to Start a Research Paper - An Easy Guide
How to Write an Abstract That Captivates Your Readers
Learn How to Write a Literature Review for a Research Paper
Types of Qualitative Research Methods - An Overview
Understanding Qualitative vs. Quantitative Research - A Complete Guide
How to Cite a Research Paper in Different Citation Formats
Easy Sociology Research Topics for Your Next Project
How to Write a Hypothesis for a Research Paper
Share this article
Research papers might be tedious and time-consuming for some high school and university students. However, you might have no trouble writing a successful paper if you choose a good research topic.
Some professors assign topics and make the topic-selection process easy for students. However, sometimes teachers leave it to students and allow them to choose a topic of their own choice.
If that’s the case then you’re at the right spot!
Read on to find interesting and catchy history research paper topics. Also, get tips on how to select the best topic for your paper.
On This Page On This Page -->
History Research Paper Topics for College Students
- How could World War II be prevented?
- British Colonialism: How did it affect life in several parts of the world?
- Allied occupation in Japan.
- The role of religion in everyday life during the middle ages
- The life and achievements of Alexander of Macedonia
- The impact of science on sculptures in Ancient Greece
- Explain the term âpopular sovereignty.â
- How does the Aztec military compare to the Spanish army?
- Why is Frederick Douglass such an important person in American History?
- Evidence and significance of symbolism in Ancient Egypt
History Research Paper Topics India
- What are the European Influences Evident in Indian Culture?
- Prevention of Cyber Crimes: Legal Strategies in India
- The establishment of the British East India company
- What is the impact of Indian art on other cultures?
- Impacts of the first world war on British policies in India
- Influence of Hinduism on early Indian art
- The issues of the partitioning of India in 1947
- The political activism of Dalits in India
- Indiaâs nuclear weapons program.
- Mohandas Gandhi's involvement with Indian independence
History Research Paper Topics Philippines
- History of the Philippines from different perspectives.
- Historical analysis of inter-regional migration in the Philippines
- The Barrio Government System's Foundations
- The Philippines Communist Party has a long history.
- Commerce with the Chinese
- The Aftermath of Magellan's Death
- The United States colonized the Philippines.
- The Philippines' Fire Mummies
- Christian-Muslim relations in the Philippines
- Under the Maura law of 1893, municipal governments were reorganized.
History Research Paper Topics 1900s
- What was the role of women in the 1900s?
- The Russian Revolution lasted for ten days in the 1900s.
- Describe fast food in the early 1900s.
- What traditions followed in the 1900s?
- The New York subway opens-innovation and science
- What is the ancient history of the 1900s?
- What did the western world think of the Middle East in the early 1900s?
- The most impressive growth happened in the 1900s.
- Events that caused the beginning of World War I
- Gender and US literature, 1830â1900
History Research Paper Topics Before 1877
Here are some middle ages research topics to help you select the perfect historical theme.
- The role of faith in American history before 1877 and after.
- The U.S. revolution history before 1877
- The first landing of Christopher Columbus and the new world
- Why was the Bill of Rights added to the Constitution?
- In what ways did the Compromise of 1877 affect politics?
- The role of civil war before 1877
- Cause and Effect- History before 1877.
- What effect did the compromise of 1877 have on politics in the North and South?
- The world history has some relation with 1877
- The role of labor before 1877
History Research Paper Topics Before 1500
Before 1500 is mostly referred to ancient history. So here are some ancient history research topics for your ease.
- The early history of Franks.
- Who were the five âGood Emperorsâ of Rome?
- Empire and religion in the Middle East 1200-500 BCE
- What was it like to live in London during the 15th century?
- An overview of the world from prehistory to 1500 CE
- Early Modern History 1500-1700
- The cold war history
- The American revolution history
- World civilization
- Why do monarchies still exist around the globe?
History Research Paper Topics 20th Century
Here are some amazing 20th century history research paper topics to select from:
- Scientific advancements in the dark ages
- Why should America rebuild New Orleans?
- Apollo 8 and the story of the first-ever voyage to the moon.
- How did the US become the worldâs largest industrial nation?
- Islamic empire
- San Francisco before and after the great earthquake and fire
- Fashion in the 20th century
- What caused the division in Christian values of the 20th century?
- Analysis of Eastern Civilization vs. Western Civilizations
- Ancient Rome and civilian life
History Research Paper Topics for Middle School
- Is racial discrimination still a part of American society?
- Fire Mummies of the Philippines
- Rise of mafia
- Color psychology in the works of Kazimir Malevich.
- How did the Apartheid period impact global politics?
- A comparison between communism and capitalism.
- Establishment of a new government
- Mozartâs music: a phenomenal case study.
- Marriage, divorce, and children in Ancient Rome
Art History Research Paper Topics
- The depiction of beauty in ancient art
- Why is photogravure used more than encaustic painting?
- The costumes of the early Italian Renaissance in 1420-1490.
- The determining factor behind the main principles of Medieval art
- The Chiaroscuro and its role in the history of art
- Biblical motives in the early paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
- Where you can locate gifted Russian artists
- Discuss the history of printmaking
- Hidden messages in famous works of art
- Discuss the development and importance of photography in art history.
Struggling to understand the worth of these topics? Watch this video to understand how to ace your history class
European History Research Paper Topics
- 19th-century European literacy
- Medieval economic history
- Discuss 1984 with respect to the 20th-century history of Europe
- Did women have any position in the history of Germany?
- Events leading to World War I
- Who was Europeâs most influential composer?
- The role of politics in the spread of Christianity across Europe
- How did Venetian history affect present Europe?
- Nationalism in Europe
- Gender bias in 18th century Britain.
US History Research Paper Topics
- Confederate monuments in the United States
- The aftermath of the Battle of Chattanooga
- Amelia Earhart: Who was she? What is the truth about her life and death?
- Discuss the emergence of joint-stock companies.
- The beginning of slavery in British America and the Middle Passage.
- German-American immigration in 1854-1894
- What important role did the Militia play in the revolution?
- History of New York City in the 19th century.
- Slavery in the USA
- Should Immigration be banned?
Interesting History Research Paper Topics
- What caused Hitler's rise to power?
- The significance of the French Revolution in world history
- Reasons why nationalism is becoming popular worldwide
- Analysis of the daily lives of medieval Europeâs peasants
- What were the prominent features of the Roman Empire?
- Human sacrifices in the world of ancient Maya.
- The history of Native Americans
- Discuss the African American soldiers bravery
- Explain the economic conditions of the world in ancient times?
- Is a great depression possible today?
African American History Research Paper Topics for College Student
- The genre of the black popular music
- The changes in schooling in the 19th century
- African Americans during the civil war
- Exploring the low-income black college students life
- 1968 democratic convention in Chicago
- The politics of race and class in the age of Obama
- Womenâs suffrage movement
- Terror trophies of WWI in America.
- African countriesâ reliance on the west and how the west is taking advantage of this.
- The genre of black popular music
Women's History Research Paper Topics
- How did women contribute to the labor force in WWI?
- The fight for equal suffrage and its outcome
- The role of women in Ancient Rome
- Womenâs rights during World War II: a brief overview
- The impact of Elizabeth I on gender roles and feminism.
- Discuss history from the female perspective
- Analyze gender roles in the 20th century
- The representation of women in the media
- Discuss the role of women in a developing country
- Rise of feminism in 21st-century America.
World History Research Paper Topics
Check out these famous history topics for your next essay:
- The significance of the industrial revolution to world history
- The role of Genghis Khan in the Mongol Empire
- Exploring maritime trade routes in medieval times.
- Discuss the silk road and its impact on global trade
- Roman colosseum: an iconic symbol of ancient rome
- Analysis of Islamic caliphatesâ conquest in the 7th century
- Impact of world war II on the global society
- The rise and fall of Napoleonic France
- Rise and fall of The Ming Dynasty
- The cold war: its influences on world politics.
Best US History Research Paper Topics
- The civil rights movement and its achievements
- The US Constitution: Its evolution and modern role
- Impact of religion on political decisions in America
- Analyze the impact of transatlantic slavery on US economy
- The Vietnam war: Was it a justified conflict ?
- The role of the American Revolution in world history Analyze the military tactics used during World War I
- Was the Watergate scandal a turning point in US History?
- Impact of environmental movements in changing political views.
- The significance of Westward Expansion in US History.
U.S. Civil War Topics
- Impact of the surrender of Appomattox on the North and South
- The role of Abraham Lincoln in the US Civil War
- Discuss the roles played by women during the civil war
- Significance of military strategies used in battles
- Effects of Reconstruction policy on US Economy
- The role of African American soldiers in the US Civil War
- Analysis of the political decisions leading to the US civil war
- Impact of technology in the US Civil War
- Was secession a justified response and what were its consequences?
- Exploring how different states participated in the civil war.
French Revolution Topics
- Discuss the role of Robespierre in the French Revolution
- Was the Reign of Terror justified?
- Impact of Philosophers on Revolutionary Ideas
- The role of women in the French Revolution
- Analysis of Napoleonâs rule and its effects on France
- Exploring the socio-economic causes leading to the Revolution
- Impact of the French Revolution on global history
- Analysis of the importance of trading agreements to Franceâs economy
- The significance of US support for the French Revolution
- Was the Declaration of Rights just a political move?
Related: Read this rubric for historical essays to craft a compelling essay
History Project Topics
- The history of the Civil Rights Movement in the United States
- The impact of World War II on the global economy
- The rise and fall of the British Empire
- The history of apartheid in South Africa
- The impact of the French Revolution on European politics and society
- The history of the Cold War
- The role of women in the American Revolution
- The impact of the Industrial Revolution on labor and society
- The history of the American Westward Expansion
- The legacy of colonialism in Latin America
Great Depression Research Topics
- The role of the US government in alleviating poverty during the Great Depression
- Impact of trade policies on global economies
- Discuss Franklin D. Rooseveltâs New Deal
- The effects of the economic downturn on women and minorities
- Analysis of Hoovervilles and its impact on public opinion
- Exploring the role of the media in shaping public opinion during the Great Depression
- Discuss the gold standard and its impact on global markets
- Examining US foreign policies during the Great Depression
- Impact of labor unions on wages and working conditions during the Great Depression
- Significance of Jazz music, literature, and art during the era.
World War II Topics
- Analyzing the roles of military intelligence in Allied victory
- Examining the role of women during World War II
- The significance of rationing programs to the war effort
- Discuss Japanese internment camps and their implications
- Exploring how different countries participated in World War II
- Analysis of the tactics used in major battles
- The role of propaganda in influencing public opinion during the war
- Impact of German Blitzkrieg tactics on Allied forces
- Significance of technology in World War II
- Discuss the impact of Holocaust on European culture.
European and United States History
- Examining the role of the Medici family in Italian Renaissance
- Exploring the causes and consequences of the French Revolution
- Impact of colonialism on African countries
- Discussing the roles played by European women during WWI and WWII
- Analyzing how different religions influenced medieval Europe
- The significance of the industrial revolution in Europe
- Exploring how the slave trade affected economies of European countries
- Discussing the role and impact of NATO on world politics
- Analyzing US foreign policies during the Cold War
- Impact of various civil rights movements on American society.
American Revolution Battles & Key Events
- The Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Siege of Yorktown
- Exploring the role of General Washingtonâs leadership in the Revolution
- Discussing the impact of French involvement in the war
- Analysis of British naval tactics used during the war
- Examining how loyalists participated in the American Revolution
- Discussing the significance of the Declaration of Independence
- The role of African Americans and Native Americans during the war
- Impact of taxes on public opinion prior to the revolution
- Exploring Continental Army tactics and strategies used in battles.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Industrial Revolution Essay Paper Topics
- The impact of industrialization on working class lives
- Examining the role of steam power in boosting production
- Discussing how inventions changed peopleâs lives during this period
- Exploring the role of migrant workers in the industrial revolution
- Analysis of factories and their effects on society
- Discussing how industrialization benefited wealthy landowners
- Examining the role of unions in promoting labor rights
- Impact of new technologies on transportation and communication
- Exploring how cities were affected by industrialization
- Discussing successes and failures of the industrial revolution.
Related: List of good research paper topics for your history paper.
Tips for Choosing the Best History Research Paper Topic
The following are the tips for choosing the best history research paper topic that our writers recommend. This will give you an idea of which research topic is considered good.
- Choose a topic that meets your teacherâs requirements.
- Pick a topic that is relevant and unique.
- Do some research and then pick the topic for your research paper.
- Read different research papers and get ideas from them for your topic.
- Find history paper topics from reliable sources and study them.
- Avoid choosing a topic that is too broad and simple.
- Get help from the paper writing service writers.
- Keep the audienceâs interest in mind and then choose the topic.
These unique history research topics tips will surely help you select the thought-provoking historical topic.
You get a complete list of good research paper topics for your history paper. You can get started with your paper with our essay writer AI .
However, if you lack writing skills and need help, simply consult CollegeEssay.org . We are always ready to help you, no matter your academic assignment.
So, get help from the best writing service at affordable rates. Infact our experience essay writers can craft a top notch essay that is 100% unique! That too with a 100% money back guarantee if the service isn't delivered on time!
So why delay when an essay writer online is all you need to upgrade your academic journey!
Nova A. (Literature, Marketing)
As a Digital Content Strategist, Nova Allison has eight years of experience in writing both technical and scientific content. With a focus on developing online content plans that engage audiences, Nova strives to write pieces that are not only informative but captivating as well.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That’s our Job!
Join our mailing list for discount & offers
- Cookies Policy
- Refunds & Cancellations
- Our Guarantees
- Affiliate Program
- Referral Program
- AI Essay Writer
Disclaimer: Our website content is sometimes created using AI but is reviewed and verified by our experienced team of editors. All client orders are completed by our team of highly qualified human writers. The essays and papers provided by us are not to be used for submission but rather as learning models only.
Email Address Already Exists!
Please Enter Valid Email!
100 History Research Paper and Essay Topics
15 August, 2021
13 minutes read
Author: Richard Pircher
History is reasonably one of the most important subjects every student encounters in their school, college, or university life. Some students adore it and prioritize history among all other subjects, while others hate it and find it ultimately boring. The truth is, history class is quite essential: it teaches you how to think critically, reflect on the events, find links between cases and occasions, and gives you a valuable opportunity to develop analytical skills. Indeed, studying what happened in the past is critical for understanding the future and being able to interpret current events. Moreover, learning history can make us capable of controlling the things happening around us and contributing to the better quality of our own lives.
As a history student, you are certainly expected to compose sound essays on world history topics as well as elaborate on any American history topic. To make sure you write quality essays , you need to learn how to process history essay topics, outline your arguments, and depict historical events in a convincing and accurate way. All in all, keeping some pieces of advice in mind can do you good if your goal is to come up with interesting history topics and craft excellent essays. In the following guide, we will talk about the key features of a history research paper, discuss how to choose history topics to write about, and provide you with sample history topics.
What Is a History Research Paper?
A history research paper challenges students with analyzing literature sources that are relevant to a particular historical event or historical era. Writing such a paper requires thorough preparation as well as in-depth research. Just like other types of college essays, a history essay follows a standard structure, where you need to develop a thesis statement and support it with relevant arguments and respective data. Thus, the only difference between a history research paper and other types of academic essays is that the first one analyzes solely historical events.
When writing a history research paper, it is critical to keep several points in mind, namely:
- Relevance of the topic: why is it worth being discussed these days?
- How is the topic related to the current times?
- Why was the topic critical in the past?
- How can a topic contribute to solving current economic and social issues?
Once you consider all the tips outlined above, you’ll become a pro at mastering any subject, from United States history research paper topics to the history of the middle ages.
Problems with writing Your History Research Paper ? Try our Essay Writer Service!
A Quick Guide to Choosing the Right Topic
If your goal is to craft an amazing history research paper with a strong thesis statement and not a less strong argument, there is a lot of effort to be made. A huge component of success lies in choosing the right topic. If you select a good and interesting one, you facilitate the writing process for yourself as well as make sure you will ultimately grab the reader’s attention. You might need to step out of your comfort zone and avoid limiting yourself to typical topics that have already been discussed thousands of times. Take a look at some tips that will help you come up with interesting but at the same time controversial topics in history:
It is always helpful if you take a look at existing, ongoing research topics. Coming up with your topic might be quite a challenge if you have no idea of what is going on in History research. For instance, find 20-30 US history topics, take a look at them, and think for a while. Which one has grabbed your interest the most? Which topic has the most potential and the biggest importance to you?
Do some prior research
Once you know the approximate direction of your research, go to the Internet and discover what others write about it. Try to search for some evidence you might need to apply in your paper. Once you find enough support and information, you will be able to narrow down the research topic and come up with your arguments for an essay.
Select the best sources
Writing a history research paper has a lot to do with literature research. You will need to find a bunch of online sources and select only the ones that are most relevant to your research topic. Make sure you use only the most reliable sources and always apply appropriate citations to avoid plagiarism.
Once you’re all set with a research paper topic, don’t forget to structure your history paper. Outlining is the key to writing a proficient, coherent, well-argumented paper. You will need to follow standard outlining: introduction, main body paragraphs, and a summary paragraph at the end. Make sure you have reasonable arguments and evidence for each point of your outline.
Develop multiple thesis statements
A thesis statement plays a critical role when we talk about history research papers. First, it gives the reader an idea of what you will be talking about in the essay. Additionally, it does let the reader know which line of arguments you will follow later on and helps them understand why you decided to talk about a specific historical event. To make it easier for you to structure body paragraphs, develop several statements. If you do so, you will develop several different arguments and finally choose the best ones.
Without further ado, take a look at 100 history research paper topics that will serve you as a basis for your own piece of writing:
- Ancient Rome vs. ancient Greece: which one had more power in the past, and whose impact can be traced better today?
- The philosophy of ancient greeks and its impact today
- How the voting system of ancient Greece was organized
- Protests in the ancient era: how demonstrations were organized in the past
- The political system of ancient Rome
- The military forces in ancient Greece
- How Gladiator games were organized and which goal they pursued?
- The society organization in ancient Egypt
- Alexander the Great as one of the most leading figures in ancient History
- Ancient Rome and civilian life
Middle Ages History Research Paper Topics
- Crimes in the middle ages and how criminal behavior was treated
- European Cities’ infrastructure during the medieval times
- Philosophers of Medieval times and their impact on life today
- The role of interfaith marriages in Medieval Europe
- The most meaningful discoveries during the Middle Times and their contribution to the world economy
- Revival of the Byzantine: the role and importance of the notion
- Quran and its role in Medieval Europe
- Middle Ages and the impact on the history of Europe
- Why do some historians associate the Middle Ages with the era of discoveries?
- The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki: the reasons and possible prevention mechanisms
- Native Americans in the US today
- US immigrant policy: the challenges that are being put on the foreign residents
- Social movements and the role of the industrialization
- Social movements in the US today
- The notion of Westward Expansion
- The most prominent inventions of the 21st century and their inventors
- Industrialization and its consequences for the US
- Great Recession: tracing the adverse consequence of the crisis today
- The role of NATO in the modern society
World History Research Paper Topics
- The war between the United States and Mexico: the reasons and outcomes
- The colonization of South America
- The famous battle at sea Spain and Great Britain
- How Medieval Europe shaped and perceived social interactions and personal relationships
- The long-term consequences of the Cold War between the countries of the Soviet Bloc and the United States
- The Chernobyl explosion: one of the biggest nuclear catastrophes of the mankind
- 1968 student revolts
- Formation of the European Union and the key events that contributed to it
- French revolution and the force distribution that followed
- The history of the European economy
- Early Modern Europe
- Muslims of Europe
- The propaganda of western theories in the 20th century
- England of the 17th century and the problem of gender bias
- The analysis of Mid-Tudor Crises in Europe
- The history of Nazi Germany: comparing German government of the past to the government of today
World War I
- The Treaty of Versailles and its impact on the events of World War I
- The Gallipoli campaign and the World War I
- The image of eastern and western fronts in World War I
- Chemical Weapon in World War I: economic necessity or a hazard?
- The entrance of America into the World War
- Most influential alliances during the times of World War I
- World War I and the Russian revolution
- Battle at sea vs battle in the air: which countries used which strategies and why?
- People and World War I: the cost of lives
World War II
- How the Soviet army entered World War II and why its entry was critical for the World history
- Child labor during the times of World War II
- Africa and the World War II
- Why did America decide to take a neutral role during World War II?
- The fate of Germany after the end of the World War II
- The state of diplomacy during World War II
- The occupation of Japan
- The events of the final year of World War II
- Resistance towards Hitler in Germany during the times of World War II
African American History Research Paper Topics
- The role of the 14th Amendment in the lives of African American society
- Attempts to end slavery via Abolitionist Movement: success and failure factors
- Angela Davis – one of the greatest civil rights activists in African American society
- How Black Codes were designed to limit the freedoms of African Americans
- Black History month: the roots of an opportunity to fight racism and learn the history of African Americans
- Dr. Martin Luther King and his impact that finds reflection in the African American society today
- Malcolm X and the rights of the people of color
- How cultural movements of African Americans contributed to the cultural diversity of the United States
- Robert F. Kennedy and the success of his speech
United States History
- The causes of civil war in the United States
- 1776: the years of independence declaration
- The key personalities during the times of revolutionary war
- American social movements and the consequences that industrialization has had on the first
- The history of slavery and human rights deprivation in the United States
- The role of indigenous people: how is modern culture shaped by the impact of native Americans?
- Analyzing the period between the wars
- Emancipation Proclamation of 1863
- Alcohol prohibition in the US: the roots and long-term consequences for the economy
- Some of the most prominent historical events that took place during the times of Cold War
- The Image of the United States during the Cold War
- Cold War ar the period of uncertainty, fear, and resilience
- The reason why Europe’s impact has been constantly shrinking at the times of cold war
- Countries involved in the cold war and their role in it
- Was it possible to prevent the Cold War or reduce its duration?
- The influence of the Cold War in the current era: comparison of Russian vs. American pop cultures
- The culture of the Soviet Union at the times of the Cold War
- Chinese Communist Revolution during the Cold War
20th Century History Topics
- American history of the 21st century
- Ronald Reagan and the impact of the Mixed Legacies
- The Holocaust and Roosevelt’s administration
- Vietnam war: the role of females
- Political Risks in American History during the reign of Harry Truman
- Dictatorship in North Korea: the reasons behind it
- The uprising of democratic movements
- The history of organized crime in the 1920s in America
- The greatest causes and consequences of the Great Depression
- The death of the Soviet Union: how the world’s biggest country came to an end
Best Essay Writing Services 2023
Student life can often be quite challenging because students have to deal with challenging college essay writing assignments. To facilitate the learning process, many services help you complete written work and get high scores. Now we will tell you about the best services that you can turn to and get high-quality papers. Essay Writing Service […]
A life lesson in Romeo and Juliet taught by death
Due to human nature, we draw conclusions only when life gives us a lesson since the experience of others is not so effective and powerful. Therefore, when analyzing and sorting out common problems we face, we may trace a parallel with well-known book characters or real historical figures. Moreover, we often compare our situations with […]
Ethical Research Paper Topics
Writing a research paper on ethics is not an easy task, especially if you do not possess excellent writing skills and do not like to contemplate controversial questions. But an ethics course is obligatory in all higher education institutions, and students have to look for a way out and be creative. When you find an […]
Please wait while we process your request
History Research Paper Topics
History is one of the most important subjects in a school, college, and university curriculum. Studying past events, people develop a better understanding of the processes that take place in the world so that they can build a bright future. There is a saying that history repeats itself; so we can use this to our advantage by tracing cultural and economic patterns and learning from past mistakes. Such an approach will allow us to make more reasonable decisions and live a better life.
Every intelligent person should know how our world reached the current development stage and how wars, tragedies, and other misfortunes could have been avoided if certain circumstances were different. Working on interesting history research paper topics could give you answers to these questions.
History also allows students to get acquainted with the culture and traditions of other nations, find out why specific laws are established, as well as discover the roots of social movements. For example, studying the slavery period, you will understand why there are so many human rights organizations nowadays. In addition, you will be able to develop your critical analysis skills as each historian interprets events differently, so you have an opportunity to look at one event from different perspectives. That is why there are so many controversial history research paper topics for college students. In this case, your task is to uncover the truth in the informational flow and offer your readers an idea supported by convincing arguments.
Besides, you may have noticed that history books occupy an important place in the world literary heritage. Learning how to describe events in a compelling, accurate, and convincing manner, you will generate greater reader interest. Many outstanding writers started their triumphant career with the consideration of history research paper topics for high school students. Their desire to explore and understand some facts as well as diligence, talent, and perseverance helped them to achieve amazing success. Why don’t you try?
Of course, it may be rather challenging to choose a research direction that would highlight your knowledge and analytical skills. Firstly, you should be interested in a subject because readers can respond to the writer’s emotions expressed in the text. Secondly, it is preferable to narrow down the topic. For example, if a general direction is Ancient Rome, you can choose a certain emperor’s reign period and discuss its economic, educational, or religious aspects. Finally, your topic may imply a comparison of political systems and social structures in different countries or description of battles.
While working on the paper, you have to make sure that reliable sources are available to you. To make sure they are, you can ask your professor’s advice. He or she can compile a list of literature or guide you on adjusting a research direction. You can also visit a library and surf the Internet to find more information. However, be careful because not all data found on the Web is trustworthy. Plots of historical movies and books are also bad sources because most of them are romanticized and supplemented by fictional details.
To simplify your choice, we have compiled several lists of good topics for a history research paper. Using them, you may be sure that your study will be relevant and interesting to a scientific community.
20 World History Research Paper Topics
- The Role of the Shogun in Japanese History
- China and Japan Development in Recent Historical Stages
- Mutual Influence of Greek, Egyptian, and Roman Cultures
- The Role of Church in Medieval Europe
- The Ottoman Empire Most Important Events
- How Could World War II Be Prevented?
- The Mongol Empire Power
- The Contribution of Gandhi to the World Peace
- Why Do Empires Fall?
- Lessons World Wars Taught Us
- Ancient Conquests and Their Influence on the Modern World Map Formation
- Western World Social Stratification
- Women’s Rights Movement: The Main Achievements of the Last Century
- Jamaican History of Violent Events
- Child Emperors of Rome
- Everyday Life of Peasants in Medieval Europe
- The Byzantine Empire Development
- Links Between World War I and World War II
- South Africa Apartheid
- Nuclear Weapons and Their Influence on the World Military Clashes
World history is quite broad and diverse research area, which covers a significant period of time: from the rise of civilizations to more recent events, such as dreadful wars of the 20 th century and development of social movements. Therefore, there are many interesting world history research topics to choose from.
Issues discussed in history papers usually touch upon significant phenomena and changes which affect humanity and determine a course of its development. A good reason for choosing world history topics for a research paper is that your project may attract the attention of the readers from different countries.
First of all, you should decide on a general research direction; for example:
- Interaction between people and the environment: agriculture, fighting diseases, demographic or climatic changes.
- Development and interaction of cultures: spreading religions or ideas like humanism.
- State-building: armed conflicts, rise and fall of empires.
- Economic systems: globalization, communism, capitalism.
- Social structures: labor specialization, social hierarchies based on gender, race, or class.
These are good world history research paper topics for high school, college, and university students. Of course, you may change the topic a little bit or elaborate on it further. Sometimes it is enough to prepare a 20-page report and make a brief conclusion, whereas in other cases an aspiring researcher has to make his or her own discovery and contribute to a scientific heritage, so you have to consider your choice wisely.
United States history research paper topics
There is no doubt that the United States has one of the most advanced economies in the world. The country reached a high development level over a short period of time; however, the American nation had witnessed many dramatic events. That is why American history research paper topics for college students are so popular.
You can write about any period of US history; for example, the Pre-Columbian era, colonial period, the American Revolution, the Federal period, the Gilded Age, the Great Depression, or the Cold War. Here are some good examples of US history topics for a research paper:
- Impact of European colonization on Native Americans
- Salem Witch Trials
- Debate between Federalists and Anti-federalists
- Labor unions, conflicts, and strikes in the 1800s
- John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry
- Indian Removal Act
- Was imperialism in the late 19th and early 20th century justified?
- Causes and results of the Mexican War
- Legends vs. reality in the West: Buffalo Bill, Wyatt Earp, George Custer, etc.
- Effect of the cotton gin on economy and slaves labor
- Hurricane Katrina
- The most prominent people in American history
- Women’s suffrage movement
- Pearl Harbor
- Transcontinental railroad and westward expansion
- Discriminating African American soldiers in the Union army
- Colonial America women, their role in the revolution. Who is a “republican mother”?
- Abolitionist movement
- Sacco-Vanzetti case
- American Indian Movement
- Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- The San Francisco earthquake and fire
- Oklahoma City bombing
- Kent State shootings
- Settlement house movement
- Baby boom (1950s-present)
- 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago
- Truman’s containment policy
- New York draft riots during the Civil War
- Mormons and their impact on American society development
- Gold Rush in California
- D-Day invasion
- Were Ethel and Julius Rosenberg spies?
- The Whiskey Rebellion in 1794
- Civil rights movement in the 1960s
- Impact of Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation
- The Underground Railroad
- U-2 incident
- 9/11 attacks
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom of 1963
- US in the Vietnam War
- Yellow journalism and the Spanish-American War
- Galveston hurricane
- Black Sox Scandal
- The Cuban missile crisis
- The Dawes Act impact on the United States and Native American policy
- Compare and contrast analysis of Lincoln-Douglas debates
- Immigration in the late 1800s
- My Lai Massacre
- Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society
- Battle of Midway
- Oregon Trail: why did people want to move to the West despite great risks?
- Manhattan Project
- How did Constitution eliminate drawbacks of the Articles of Confederation?
- Nat Turner’s Rebellion
- The colony of Roanoke disappearance theories
- The Great Chicago Fire of 1871
- How did Marbury v. Madison case influence the judicial system?
- Causes for North-South confrontation during the Civil War
European history research paper topics
European history is also a rather popular direction. Many young people are looking for easy research paper topics on AP European history to prepare a good project for Advanced Placement. Sometimes students struggle to find the research area because there are many European countries with a unique culture, political, and economic background. If you find yourself in the same situation, don’t worry! The examples below can simplify your task. Let’s start with Medieval & Renaissance Europe topics:
- Byzantine Empire
- Medieval economic history
- Knights and knighthood
- Courtly love
- Medieval church
- Women in the Middle Ages
- Women in the Renaissance
- Black Death (Black Plague)
- Medieval philosophy
- Medieval universities
- Papal monarchy
- Medieval law
- Justinian I (Byzantine emperor)
- Medieval warfare
- Hundred Years War
- Islamic Empire
Here are more good European history research paper topics:
- Age of Reason
- Crimean War
- Rothschild dynasty
- Revolutions of 1848
- Christopher Columbus and his outstanding discoveries
- Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648)
- The Medicis dynasty
- Congress of Vienna
- Industrial Revolution
- Eighteenth-Century Europe
- Napoleonic Wars
Interesting European history research paper topics on World War I:
- Lawrence, T. E. (Lawrence of Arabia)
- Gallipoli Campaign
- World War I diplomatic history
- Causes of World War I
- Treaty of Versailles
- War propaganda
- The main battles of World War I
Good topics for a European history research paper on World War II:
- Allied occupation of Germany
- Katyn Forest Massacre
- Propaganda of Joseph Goebbels
- Jewish resistance during the Holocaust
- World War II causes
- World War II naval history
- Nazi Germany
- Children in the Holocaust
- World War II War correspondents
- Nuremberg trials
- World War II Eastern front
- World War II home front
- Hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors)
- Allied occupation of Japan
- Holocaust survivors
- World War II air warfare
- German resistance to Hitler
- Atlantic Wall
- World War II letters and diaries
- Atrocities of Gestapo
- Battle of Britain
- The biggest concentration camps
- World War II diplomatic history
- Battle of the Bulge
- Appeasement of Hitler
Art history research paper topics
Human life would be incomplete without art. All of the greatest civilizations had left painting, music, and literary legacy. Art always reflects social, economic, and political processes. That is why art history topics for a research paper constitute a separate and important category.
Of course, it is rather hard to understand what writers, musicians, sculptors, or painters aimed to express in their masterpieces. Fortunately, a research project operates with facts and arguments without any guesswork, personal interpretations, or speculative conclusions. It is not obligatory to understand the feelings of an artist whom you never met; instead, you can explore their creations and understand the message they sought to convey.
We invite you to get acquainted with ideas for brilliant academic projects on art. Let’s start with ancient art history research paper topics:
- Scythian gold adornments
- Greek theater development
- Mesopotamian art
- Ancient Greece sculptures. How did they influence modern art?
- Egyptian and Greek canons of proportions
Easy research paper topics for Eastern art history:
- Buddhist art
- A rt of Tibet
- Influence of Hinduism on early Indian art
- Japanese and Chinese traditional costumes
- Religious motifs in Cambodian art
- Mughal paintings in India
- The Great Wall of China construction
- Islamic ascendancy in Indian art
- Korean pottery
Middle Ages and Renaissance history research paper topics for college students:
- Medieval churches
- Renaissance women’s clothing
- Medieval drama
- Medieval literature
- Caravaggio and his followers
- Architecture in Renaissance Italy
- Medieval music
- Domestic art in Renaissance Italy
- Botanical imagery in European painting
- Gothic architecture
- Early Netherlandish painting
- Arms and armor in Renaissance Europe
- Raphael’s paintings
- The birth and infancy of Christ in Italian paintings
- Cameo appearances
- Medieval romance literature
- Commercial exchange, diplomacy, and religious difference between Venice and the Islamic states
- Medieval theater history
- Anatomy in the Renaissance epoch
- Bronze sculptures in the Renaissance
- Christian symbols in Renaissance art
- Dutch and Flemish artists in Rome, 1500–1600
- Renaissance literature
- Ceramics in the French Renaissance
18-19 th -century art topics:
- Baroque architecture
- Classical art and modern dress
- Marquis de Sade’s novels
- Legacy of Jacques-Louis David
- Lithography in the nineteenth century
- Neoclassicism sculpture
- Paul Gauguin savage art
- Industrialization of French photography after 1860
- “Dancing” paintings by Edgar Degas
- Georges Seurat and neo-impressionism
- Exoticism in the decorative arts
- Rococo and Baroque: compare and contrast analysis
Modern art history research paper topics:
- Kinetic art
- Frida Kahlo’s painting symbols
- Thomas Nast’s political cartoons
- Dau-al-Set movement
- Harlem Renaissance
- Evolution of Pablo Picasso’s paintings
- Jackson Pollock’s art
By far, these are just a few research paper topics on history. The world heritage is too vast to include everything in this article. However, we hope that this list has simplified your choice. If you face any obstacles when writing an academic project, feel free to contact Pro-Papers. We will gladly provide valuable advice or complete any tricky assignment for you!
Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *
Try it now!
Calculate your price
Number of pages:
Order an essay!
Fill out the order form
Make a secure payment
Receive your order by email
How To Write A Good Term Paper Outline?
By the end of each semester, you will be assigned a bunch of complex tasks, and term papers will surely be among them. This type of assignment, which looks like an expanded essay with research, is…
20th Aug 2017
How To Structure A Term Paper?
Structure and format are crucial for tutors when it comes to assessing the paper. Your assignment might be great within the content, however, if it does not meet the basic requirements in terms of…
14th Aug 2017
Essay paper writing
Evaluation Essay Topics
Sometimes we need to know other people’s opinion regarding a particular product, book, service, movie or other things. In other words, we need to know how good is the quality of something we…
16th Apr 2019
Get your project done perfectly
Professional writing service
We’ve sent you an email containing a link that will allow you to reset your password for the next 24 hours.
Please check your spam folder if the email doesn’t appear within a few minutes.
Research Paper Guide
Research Paper Topics
Interesting Research Paper Topics for 2023
20 min read
Published on: Dec 5, 2017
Last updated on: Oct 25, 2023
People also read
Research Paper Writing - A Step by Step Guide
Research Paper Examples - Free Sample Papers for Different Formats!
Guide to Creating Effective Research Paper Outline
Research Proposal Writing - A Step-by-Step Guide
How to Start a Research Paper - 7 Easy Steps
How to Write an Abstract - A Step by Step Guide
Learn How To Write A Literature Review In Simple Steps
Qualitative Research - Methods, Types, and Examples
8 Types of Qualitative Research - Overview & Examples
Qualitative vs Quantitative Research - Learning the Basics
Psychology Research Topics - 220+ Ideas
How to Write a Hypothesis In 7 simple Steps: Examples and Tips!
20+ Types of Research With Examples - A Detailed Guide
Understanding Quantitative Research - Types & Data Collection Techniques
230+ Sociology Research Topics & Ideas for Students
How to Cite a Research Paper - A Complete Guide
Excellent History Research Paper Topics- 300+ Ideas
How to Write a Research Methodology for a Research Paper
Share this article
When it comes to writing a research paper, choosing a good topic is the first challenge students face.
Sometimes, instructors assign a topic or provide you with a range of topics for your research paper . But most of the time, you need to come up with a topic yourself.
It can be stressful. But don’t worry, this blog is here to help!
Here, we have listed more than 300 research paper ideas for a variety of subjects. These topics can help you get creative and find the inspiration you need. So read on!
On This Page On This Page
What are Good Topics for a Research Paper?
An interesting research topic is the one that has the following characteristics:
- Specific and Clear . The topic should cover a specific aspect or question within a broader subject area. A focused topic allows for in-depth exploration.
- Original and Unique - Great research topics are original. They explore a unique angle or perspective on a subject.
- Significant - Good topics have academic or real-world significance. They contribute to existing knowledge or address a problem with practical implications.
- Relevant - Topics that are timely and related to the current issues and debates in your field of study are better for research.
Research Paper Topics for Your Academic Level
All students get research writing assignments, whether they are in high school, college, or higher. Here are some engaging ideas suitable for different academic levels.
High School Research Essay Topics
- Examine the impact of social media on teenagers' well-being.
- Assess the effects of climate change and its consequences.
- Analyze the dynamics of cyberbullying and online safety.
- Explore the influence of music on adolescents.
- Investigate the importance of financial literacy education.
- Assess gender inequality in high school sports programs.
- Examine the impact of technology on the education system.
- Analyze youth voting trends and political engagement.
- Investigate the role of video games in cognitive development.
- Assess teenage substance abuse and prevention programs.
College Research Paper Topics
- IELTS vs. TOEFL - Discuss the similarities and differences.
- College admission policies and criteria in the United States.
- How to plan to pay college tuition?
- Elaborate on ACT vs. SAT.
- Benefits of Distance Learning.
- Impacts of China's one-child policy.
- Do college students learn better in same-sex classrooms?
- Effect of the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Analyze the history of the relationship between the United States and North Korea.
- Should people be able to donate organs in exchange for money?
Graduate Research Paper Topics
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Business Operations and Strategy
- Environmental Sustainability in Supply Chain Management: Strategies for Global Corporations
- The Ethical Implications of Gene Editing Technologies: CRISPR-Cas9 and Beyond
- Financial Derivatives and Risk Management: Advanced Strategies for Portfolio Optimization
- The Role of Big Data Analytics in Healthcare: Improving Patient Care and Outcomes
- Cybersecurity Threats and Mitigation in Critical Infrastructure: A Comprehensive Analysis
- The Intersection of International Trade and Intellectual Property Rights: Trade Agreements and Dispute Resolution
- Exploring the Impacts of Climate Change on Urban Planning and Infrastructure
- Educational Leadership and School Reform in the 21st Century: Innovative Approaches and Challenges
- Theoretical Advances in Quantum Computing: Applications, Limitations, and Future Prospects
Research Paper Topics for Science & Technology
Looking for research paper ideas in your discipline? The list of topics below covers a variety of subjects and disciplines to help you out.
Research Paper Topics for Computer Science
- Quantum Computing: Current State and Future Prospects
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Blockchain Technology and Its Applications Beyond Cryptocurrency
- Cybersecurity in the Age of IoT: Challenges and Solutions
- The Ethical Implications of Machine Learning Algorithms
- Natural Language Processing for Sentiment Analysis in Social Media
- The Role of Computer Vision in Autonomous Vehicles
- Big Data Analytics for Business Intelligence and Decision-Making
- Human-Computer Interaction: Enhancing User Experience
- The Evolution of Cloud Computing: Trends and Innovations
Research Paper Topics in Machine Learning
- Explainable AI (XAI): Techniques and Challenges in Interpretable Machine Learning Models
- Federated Learning: Privacy-Preserving Machine Learning Across Decentralized Data Sources
- Transfer Learning in Deep Neural Networks: Methods, Applications, and Limitations
- Reinforcement Learning: Recent Advances and Real-World Applications
- Bias and Fairness in Machine Learning: Detection, Mitigation, and Ethical Considerations
- Multi-Modal Learning: Integrating Data from Multiple Sources for Improved Performance
- Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs): Innovations in Image Generation and Beyond
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) for Healthcare: Applications in Clinical Data Analysis and Diagnosis
- AutoML (Automated Machine Learning): Tools, Challenges, and Implications for Non-Experts
- Quantum Machine Learning: Harnessing Quantum Computing for Advanced Data Analysis
Research Paper Topics in Chemistry
- Green Chemistry: Sustainable Approaches to Chemical Synthesis
- Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery: Innovations and Challenges
- Chemical Analysis of Environmental Pollutants and Their Remediation
- Advancements in Organic Synthesis: New Methods and Strategies
- The Role of Catalysis in Industrial Chemical Processes
- Chemical Kinetics: Studying Reaction Rates and Mechanisms
- Analytical Chemistry Techniques for Food Safety and Quality Control
- Supramolecular Chemistry: Self-assembly and Molecular Recognition
- The Chemistry of Renewable Energy Sources
- Chemical Bonding in Complex Molecules: Insights from Quantum Chemistry
Information Technology Research Paper Topics
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Information Technology
- Blockchain Technology: Security and Privacy Implications
- Data Governance and Compliance in the Digital Age
- Cloud Computing Adoption Strategies for Small and Medium Enterprises
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Challenges and Solutions
- E-Government: Advancements and Challenges in Digital Transformation
- The Role of Machine Learning in Healthcare Data Management
- Cybersecurity Threat Intelligence: Trends and Best Practices
- Digital Twins and their Applications in Industry 4.0
- Human-Centric IT: Designing Systems with User Well-being in Mind
Research Paper Topics Environmental Science
- Climate Change and Its Impact on Global Ecosystems
- Biodiversity Conservation and Habitat Restoration
- Sustainable Agriculture Practices for Food Security
- Air Pollution Control Strategies in Urban Environments
- The Effects of Deforestation on Watersheds and Biodiversity
- Waste Management and Recycling: Towards a Circular Economy
- Ocean Acidification and Coral Reef Conservation
- Environmental Impacts of Renewable Energy Technologies
- Eco-friendly Transportation Solutions: Promoting Sustainable Mobility
- Human Health and Environmental Pollution: Assessing Risks and Mitigation
Research Paper Topics for Medical Students
- The Role of Telemedicine in Improving Healthcare Access and Delivery
- Epidemiology and Management of Infectious Diseases: A Focus on Emerging Pathogens
- Precision Medicine and Personalized Healthcare: Advancements and Challenges
- Ethical Considerations in Medical Research: Informed Consent and Human Rights
- Mental Health in Medical Education: Strategies for Reducing Burnout and Promoting Well-being
- Global Health Disparities: Analyzing Causes and Strategies for Health Equity
- Advancements in Surgical Techniques and Robotics in Medicine
- The Opioid Epidemic: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
- Healthcare for Underserved Populations: Access, Barriers, and Innovations
- Medical Innovations in Diagnostic Imaging: Impact on Patient Care and Diagnosis
Research Paper Topics in Zoology
- The Impact of Climate Change on Wildlife Migration Patterns and Habitats
- Behavioral Ecology of Apex Predators: From Wolves to Tigers
- Zoonotic Diseases: Investigating the Transmission of Diseases Between Animals and Humans
- Marine Biology and Conservation: Coral Reefs, Ocean Acidification, and Marine Biodiversity
- The Role of Zoos in Conservation and Species Preservation
- Invasive Species: Ecological Impacts and Management Strategies
- Bird Migration and Navigation: Mechanisms and Conservation Implications
- Animal Communication and Language: Insights from Studies on Dolphins and Primates
- Endangered Species Recovery Programs: Successes, Failures, and Lessons Learned
- Evolutionary Biology: The Coevolution of Predators and Prey
Research Paper Topics For Social Sciences
Are you a student of social sciences? The list of research paper topics below is for you!
History Research Paper Topics
- The Causes and Consequences of the American Civil War
- The Impact of the Industrial Revolution on Society and Labor
- The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire: Lessons from History
- Women's Suffrage Movements Around the World
- The Cold War: Origins, Conflicts, and Effects on Global Politics
- The Role of Religion in Ancient Civilizations: Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Greece
- The Renaissance Era: Art, Science, and Cultural Transformation
- The Development of Culture in Mughal India
- The Decolonization of Africa and Asia: Struggles for Independence
- The Civil Rights Movement in the United States: Progress and Challenges
Research Paper Topics for Education
- The Impact of Technology in the Classroom: Enhancing Learning or Distracting Students?
- Inclusive Education: Strategies for Supporting Students with Disabilities
- The Role of Parental Involvement in Student Academic Achievement
- Education and Socioeconomic Inequality: Bridging the Gap
- The Effectiveness of Online Learning: Pros and Cons
- Early Childhood Education: The Importance of Preschool Programs
- Teacher Burnout and Strategies for Teacher Well-being
- The Influence of Standardized Testing on Curriculum and Instruction
- Culturally Responsive Teaching: Promoting Diversity and Inclusion
- Education Policy Reform: Challenges and Impacts on Student Success
Sociology Research Paper Topics
- The Impact of Social Media on Social Interaction and Relationships
- Gender Inequality in the Workplace: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
- Racial Profiling and Policing: Examining Bias and Discrimination
- The Sociology of Deviance: Understanding Criminal Behavior
- Income Inequality and Its Effects on Society
- The Influence of Family Structure on Child Development
- Migration and the Social Integration of Immigrants
- Environmental Sociology: Exploring the Relationship Between Society and the Environment
- The Role of Religion in Shaping Societal Norms and Values
- Health Disparities in Marginalized Communities: A Sociological Perspective
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- The Impact of Childhood Trauma on Adult Mental Health
- Psychological Effects of Social Media Use on Adolescents
- Stress and Coping Mechanisms: Strategies for Resilience
- The Psychology of Decision-Making: Biases and Heuristics
- The Role of Attachment Theory in Parent-Child Relationships
- Mental Health Stigma: Barriers to Seeking and Receiving Treatment
- The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Cognitive Functioning
- Psychological Factors in Addiction and Recovery
- Cognitive Development in Infants: Theories and Milestones
- The Psychology of Happiness and Well-being: Factors and Interventions
Research Paper Topics On Media And Communication
- The Influence of Social Media on Political Discourse and Public Opinion
- Media Bias: Examining News Coverage and Its Impact on Perception
- The Evolution of Journalism in the Digital Age: Challenges and Opportunities
- The Effects of Advertising on Consumer Behavior and Purchasing Decisions
- Media Literacy Education: Preparing Citizens for a Digital World
- The Role of Media in Shaping Gender Stereotypes and Representation
- Fake News and Misinformation: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
- Cultural Appropriation in Media: Analyzing Its Implications
- Media and Crisis Communication: Case Studies and Best Practices
- Media Effects on Body Image and Self-esteem: Exploring the Impact of Beauty Standards
Political Science Research Paper Topics
- The Role of Political Parties in Shaping Government Policies
- Electoral Systems and Their Impact on Representation and Governance
- The Rise of Populism: Causes and Consequences
- The Influence of Lobbying and Interest Groups on Policy-Making
- Comparative Analysis of Political Systems: Democracies vs. Authoritarian Regimes
- Foreign Policy Decision-Making: Case Studies and Models
- Political Polarization: Understanding the Divisions in Contemporary Politics
- Human Rights and International Relations: Challenges and Solutions
- Environmental Politics and Climate Change Agreements
- The Role of Social Media in Shaping Political Discourse and Activism
Research Paper Topics for International Relations
- The Impact of Globalization on International Security
- International Human Rights Law: Challenges and Progress
- Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution: Case Studies in Successful Negotiations
- The Role of International Organizations in Promoting Peace and Cooperation
- Nuclear Proliferation: Examining the Threats and Non-Proliferation Efforts
- Cybersecurity in International Relations: Challenges and Strategies
- Global Economic Governance: The Role of International Financial Institutions
- The Refugee Crisis: International Responses and the Humanitarian Challenge
- Climate Change Diplomacy: Agreements, Obstacles, and Climate Justice
- The Geopolitics of Energy: Resource Competition and Security Issues
Research Paper Topics On Culture
- Cultural Appropriation: Understanding the Controversy and Implications
- Cultural Relativism vs. Universalism: Debates in Anthropology and Ethics
- Cultural Expressions in Art: Analyzing Cultural Identity Through Creative Works
- Globalization and Its Impact on Cultural Homogenization vs. Cultural Diversity
- Cultural Influences on Gender Roles and Identity
- The Role of Culture in Shaping Dietary Habits and Food Traditions
- Cultural Heritage Preservation: Challenges and Strategies
- Language and Culture: The Relationship Between Linguistic Diversity and Cultural Identity
- Cultural Rituals and Their Significance in Different Societies
- Intercultural Communication: Navigating Cultural Differences in a Globalized World
Research Paper Topics for Humanities
Here are some engaging ideas for research paper topics in humanities disciplines.
Research Paper Topics for English Literature
- Exploring the Themes of Love and Desire in Shakespeare's Sonnets
- Postcolonial Literature: Analyzing the Works of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Role of Symbolism in F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby"
- Feminist Critique of Classic Literature: Reevaluating Jane Austen's Heroines
- The Gothic Tradition in Literature: A Comparative Study of Edgar Allan Poe and Mary Shelley
- Dystopian Literature: Examining Social Commentary in George Orwell's "1984"
- The Evolution of Science Fiction: From H.G. Wells to Contemporary Authors
- The Modernist Movement in Poetry: T.S. Eliot and "The Waste Land"
- Literary Representations of War: Analysis of Ernest Hemingway's Works
- The Influence of Mythology in Literature: A Study of Greek and Roman Epics
Research Paper Topics for Linguistics
- Language Acquisition: Exploring the Critical Period Hypothesis
- The Evolution of Language: Tracing the Origins and Development
- Bilingualism and Cognitive Benefits: Analyzing the Effects on Brain Function
- The Role of Gender in Language: A Sociolinguistic Examination
- Phonological Variation in Regional Dialects: Case Studies and Implications
- Language and Identity: How Language Reflects and Shapes Cultural Identity
- The Influence of Technology on Language: Texting, Social Media, and Communication Styles
- Language Preservation and Endangered Languages: Strategies and Challenges
- Syntax and Semantics: The Relationship Between Sentence Structure and Meaning
- Language Contact and Creole Languages: Origins and Linguistic Features
Research Paper Topics on Arts
- The Influence of Renaissance Art on Modern Visual Culture
- The Evolution of Street Art: From Vandalism to Urban Beautification
- Gender and Identity in Contemporary Performance Art
- The Role of Public Art in Shaping Urban Spaces and Communities
- Censorship in the Arts: Balancing Expression and Sensitivity
- The Intersection of Technology and Art: Digital Media and New Frontiers
- Art as a Form of Political Protest: Examining Contemporary Activist Art
- The Psychology of Art Appreciation: Understanding Aesthetic Experiences
- Art Conservation and Preservation: Challenges and Ethical Considerations
- Art Therapy: Exploring the Healing Power of Creativity
Research Paper Topics on Religion
- Religious Pluralism and Interfaith Dialogue: Promoting Understanding and Tolerance
- The Role of Religion in Shaping Moral Values and Ethics
- Religion and Politics: Examining the Influence of Faith on Governance
- Religious Rituals and Their Significance in Different Cultures
- Secularism and Its Impact on Religious Practice and Belief
- Religion and Science: Exploring the Compatibility and Conflict
- The Influence of Religion on Gender Roles and Equality
- Religious Fundamentalism and Its Implications for Society
- Religion and Environmental Ethics: Perspectives on Stewardship
- Religious Conversion and the Psychology Behind Faith Changes
Philosophy Research Paper Topics
- The Philosophy of Ethics: Exploring Different Ethical Theories
- The Problem of Free Will and Determinism: Philosophical Perspectives
- Existentialism in Literature: A Philosophical Analysis
- The Philosophy of Mind: Dualism vs. Materialism
- The Nature of Reality: Metaphysical Approaches and Debates
- Moral Dilemmas and Ethical Decision-Making: A Philosophical Examination
- Philosophy of Technology: Ethical Implications of Advancements
- Political Philosophy: Theories of Justice and Social Contracts
- Philosophy of Religion: The Existence of God and Theodicy
- Environmental Ethics: Philosophical Perspectives on Nature and Sustainability
Research Paper Topics for Ethics
- Ethical Dilemmas in Medical Decision-Making: Balancing Autonomy and Beneficence
- The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence: Accountability and Bias in AI Systems
- Corporate Ethics: Ethical Responsibility of Multinational Corporations
- Ethical Considerations in Environmental Conservation: Sustainability and Future Generations
- The Ethics of Genetic Engineering and Designer Babies
- The Intersection of Ethics and Technology: Privacy, Surveillance, and Data Ethics
- Ethical Implications of End-of-Life Care and Euthanasia
- Animal Rights and Ethical Treatment of Animals in Research
- The Role of Ethics in Criminal Justice: Police Conduct and Criminal Punishment
- The Ethics of Whistleblowing: Balancing Loyalty and Accountability
Law Research Paper Topics
- The Evolution of Privacy Rights in the Digital Age: Legal and Ethical Considerations
- Criminal Justice Reform: Assessing the Impact of Changes in Sentencing and Policing
- Intellectual Property Rights in the Digital Era: Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents
- The Role of International Law in Addressing Global Human Rights Violations
- Environmental Law and Sustainable Development: Balancing Conservation and Economic Interests
- Legal Aspects of Cybersecurity: Privacy, Data Protection, and Cybercrime
- The Legalization of Marijuana: Implications for Criminal Justice and Public Health
- Corporate Governance and Ethics: Analyzing Legal Frameworks for Accountability
- Family Law and Child Custody Disputes: Examining Best Interests and Parental Rights
- The Intersection of Law and Bioethics: Ethical Dilemmas in Medical and Scientific Research
Research Paper Topics on Criminal Justice
- Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System: Causes and Consequences
- Police Use of Force: Policies, Accountability, and Community Relations
- Criminal Profiling and Its Effectiveness in Solving Crimes
- Mental Illness in the Criminal Justice System: Diversion Programs and Treatment
- The Impact of Mass Incarceration on Communities and Rehabilitation Efforts
- Forensic Science and Criminal Investigations: Advances, Challenges, and Ethics
- Cybercrime and Digital Forensics: Investigative Techniques and Legal Implications
- Juvenile Justice: Rehabilitation vs. Punishment and the Recidivism Rate
- The Death Penalty: Ethical, Legal, and Policy Considerations
- Victim Rights and Restorative Justice Programs: Balancing the Scales of Justice
Research Paper Topics on Economics
- Income Inequality: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Solutions
- The Impact of Economic Globalization on Developing Countries
- Behavioral Economics: Exploring Psychological Factors in Decision-Making
- The Economics of Climate Change: Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies
- Monetary Policy and Its Effects on Economic Stability
- Trade Wars and Tariffs: Economic Effects and Global Trade Relations
- Healthcare Economics: Examining Healthcare Costs, Access, and Reform
- The Economics of Education: Investment in Human Capital and Economic Growth
- Urban Economics: Challenges and Solutions in Sustainable City Development
- Labor Market Trends: Gig Economy, Automation, and Future of Work
Research Paper Topics Related to Marketing
- Influencer Marketing: Effectiveness, Ethics, and the Role of Social Media
- Consumer Behavior in the Digital Age: Online Shopping Trends and Decision-Making
- Brand Loyalty and Customer Retention Strategies in Competitive Markets
- Neuromarketing: Understanding the Psychology of Consumer Choices
- The Impact of Social Media Marketing on Brand Image and Customer Engagement
- E-commerce and Marketplaces: Strategies for Success in Online Retail
- Content Marketing: Creating and Measuring the Value of Branded Content
- Marketing to Generation Z: Preferences, Values, and Communication Channels
- The Role of Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Marketing
- Crisis Marketing and Reputation Management: Strategies for Navigating Challenges
Best Research Paper Topics 2023
Here are some impressive and easy research paper topics to write an extraordinary paper.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Should the Minimum Wage be Raised?
- The Impact of Social Media on Mental Health: Harmful or Beneficial?
- Is Genetic Engineering Ethical? Examining the Pros and Cons of Genetic Modification
- The Death Penalty: Should it be Abolished or Retained?
- Gun Control: Balancing Second Amendment Rights and Public Safety
- Universal Healthcare: Is it a Right or a Privilege?
- The Role of Government in Regulating Big Tech Companies
- Climate Change: Is Human Activity the Primary Cause?
- Online Privacy: Balancing Security and Civil Liberties
- The Legalization of Recreational Marijuana: Weighing the Social and Economic Impacts
US History Research Paper Topics
- The American Revolution: Causes, Key Figures, and Impact on the Nation
- The Abolitionist Movement: Strategies, Leaders, and the Fight Against Slavery
- The Reconstruction Era: Challenges, Achievements, and Failures
- The Women's Suffrage Movement: Struggles and Triumphs in the Fight for Voting Rights
- The Civil Rights Movement: Leaders, Events, and the Struggle for Equality
- The Great Depression: Causes, Effects, and Government Responses
- The Vietnam War: Origins, Controversies, and Legacy
- The Space Race: The Cold War Competition for Supremacy Beyond Earth
- The Civil War: Battlefronts, Political Divisions, and the Emancipation Proclamation
- The American Westward Expansion: Manifest Destiny, Conflicts, and Impacts on Native Americans
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
- The Importance of Comprehensive Sex Education in Schools
- Banning Single-Use Plastics: Protecting the Environment and Marine Life
- Promoting Renewable Energy: Transitioning to a Sustainable Future
- Mandatory Vaccination: Protecting Public Health and Herd Immunity
- The Benefits of Telecommuting: A Win-Win for Employers and Employees
- Promoting Healthy Eating Habits: The Case for Implementing Sugar Taxes
- The Need for Stricter Animal Welfare Laws: Preventing Animal Cruelty
- Accessible Education for All: The Case for Affordable College Tuition
- Promoting Voting Rights: Ensuring a Fair and Inclusive Democracy
- The Importance of Mental Health Awareness and Support: Breaking the Stigma
Easy Research Paper Topics
- The Benefits of Regular Exercise for Physical and Mental Health
- The History and Impact of Social Media on Society
- The Basics of Climate Change: Causes, Effects, and Solutions
- The Life and Achievements of a Notable Inventor or Scientist
- The Importance of Recycling and Waste Reduction in Daily Life
- The Impact of Fast Food on Diet and Health
- The History and Significance of a Local Landmark or Historical Site
- The Role of Pets in Reducing Stress and Promoting Well-being
- The Basics of Internet Safety: Protecting Personal Information Online
- Exploring a Popular Book, Movie, or TV Series and Its Cultural Influence
Research Paper Topics on Current Affairs
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Global Health Systems and Preparedness
- Climate Change and Extreme Weather Events: Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies
- The Future of Work: Remote Work Trends and Implications
- Economic Recovery Post-Pandemic: Challenges and Opportunities
- Vaccine Hesitancy: Understanding Causes and Addressing Concerns
- Cybersecurity in the Digital Age: Threats, Vulnerabilities, and Defense
- Immigration Policies and Border Security: A Global Perspective
- The Role of Social Media in Political Movements and Disinformation
- Global Supply Chain Disruptions: Causes and Strategies for Resilience
- Racial and Social Justice Movements: Progress and Ongoing Challenges
Controversial Research Paper Topics
- The Legalization of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia: Ethical and Legal Considerations
- Gun Control Laws: Balancing Second Amendment Rights and Public Safety
- The Death Penalty: Is it an Effective Deterrent or a Violation of Human Rights?
- Animal Testing: Ethical Issues and Alternatives for Scientific Research
- The Legalization of Recreational Drugs: Assessing Risks and Benefits
- Abortion: Examining the Ethical, Legal, and Medical Aspects
- Freedom of Speech vs. Hate Speech: Protecting Civil Liberties in a Digital Age
- Climate Change Denial: Analyzing the Science and Skepticism
- School Vouchers and School Choice: The Future of Public Education
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs): Safety, Labeling, and Environmental Concerns
Nursing Research Paper Topics
- The Impact of Nurse-to-Patient Ratios on Patient Outcomes
- Nursing Shortages: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions
- Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing: Implementing Research into Clinical Care
- Nursing Ethics: Ethical Dilemmas and Decision-Making in Patient Care
- Palliative Care and End-of-Life Nursing: Improving Quality of Life for Patients
- Nursing Informatics: Advancements in Healthcare Technology and Data Management
- The Role of Cultural Competence in Nursing: Providing Culturally Sensitive Care
- Nursing Burnout and Staff Well-being: Strategies for Prevention and Support
- The Impact of Nurse Leadership on Patient Safety and Quality of Care
- Pediatric Nursing: Specialized Care for Children and Families
How to Choose a Good Research Paper Topic?
Now that you have a plethora of ideas for your research paper, which one should you choose? Here are some steps you need to follow to choose a good research paper topic:
- Identify Your Interests: Start by considering your own interests and passions. Research is much more enjoyable when you're exploring a topic you're genuinely curious about. Think about subjects, issues, or questions that intrigue you.
- Brainstorm and Mind Map: Write down potential topics or research questions and create a mind map to visualize how they connect to one another. This can help you see the relationships between different ideas and narrow down your options.
- Do Some Preliminary Research: Conduct initial research to see what resources are available on potential topics. This will help you gauge whether there is enough information and credible sources to support your research.
- Consider Your Audience: Think about who will be reading your research paper. Tailor your topic to your target audience's interests and knowledge level. You should also comply with the instructor's requirements. Make sure your topic gets approved before you begin with the writing process.
- Discuss with Others: Talk to your peers, professors, or mentors about your potential topics. They may offer valuable insights, suggest relevant resources, or help you refine your ideas.
Selecting a research paper topic is the first and most important step of your research journey. Your decision should be guided by your interests, the assignment requirements, and the availability of credible resources.
With this list of potential research paper topics and tips on how to choose a good topic, you are able to select a topic that is both engaging for you and relevant to your audience.
Remember that staying current and conducting preliminary research will help you make an informed choice. Seek feedback from peers and mentors, and don't shy away from challenging or controversial topics when appropriate.
Want research experts to help you out? Look no further! MyPerfectWords.com can help you out!
At our paper writing service online , we have subject specialists and research writers with advanced knowledge and expertise. They will help you craft a great topic and can help you write an amazing research paper.
So place your order today to get a custom research paper !
Nova A. (Literature, Marketing)
Nova Allison is a Digital Content Strategist with over eight years of experience. Nova has also worked as a technical and scientific writer. She is majorly involved in developing and reviewing online content plans that engage and resonate with audiences. Nova has a passion for writing that engages and informs her readers.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That’s our Job!
We value your privacy
Website Data Collection
Are you sure you want to cancel?
Your preferences have not been saved.
- Google Meet
- Mobile Dialer
Management Assignment Writing
Technical Assignment Writing
Finance Assignment Writing
Medical Nursing Writing
Civil engineering writing
Mathematics and Statistics Projects
CV Writing Service
Essay Writing Service
Online Dissertation Help
Thesis Writing Help
RESEARCH PAPER WRITING SERVICE
Case Study Writing Service
Electrical Engineering Assignment Help
IT Assignment Help
Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help
Homework Writing Help
Science Assignment Writing
Arts Architecture Assignment Help
Chemical Engineering Assignment Help
Computer Network Assignment Help
Arts Assignment Help
Coursework Writing Help
Custom Paper Writing Services
Personal Statement Writing
Biotechnology Assignment Help
C Programming Assignment Help
MBA Assignment Help
English Essay Writing
MATLAB Assignment Help
Narrative Writing Help
Report Writing Help
Get Top Quality Assignment Assistance
Online Exam Help
Macroeconomics Homework Help
Change Management Assignment Help
Operation management Assignment Help
Strategy Assignment Help
Human Resource Management Assignment Help
Psychology Assignment Writing Help
Algebra Homework Help
Best Assignment Writing Tips
Statistics Homework Help
CDR Writing Services
TAFE Assignment Help
Auditing Assignment Help
Literature Essay Help
Online University Assignment Writing
Economics Assignment Help
Programming Language Assignment Help
Political Science Assignment Help
Marketing Assignment Help
Project Management Assignment Help
Geography Assignment Help
Do My Assignment For Me
Business Ethics Assignment Help
Pricing Strategy Assignment Help
The Best Taxation Assignment Help
Finance Planning Assignment Help
Solve My Accounting Paper Online
Market Analysis Assignment
4p Marketing Assignment Help
University Assignment Help
Corporate Strategy Assignment Help
Project Risk Management Assignment Help
Environmental Law Assignment Help
History Assignment Help
Geometry Assignment Help
Physics Assignment Help
Clinical Reasoning Cycle
Forex Assignment Help
Python Assignment Help
Behavioural Finance Assignment Help
PHP Assignment Help
Social Science Assignment Help
Capital Budgeting Assignment Help
Trigonometry Assignment Help
Java Programming Assignment Help
Corporate Finance Planning Help
Sports Science Assignment Help
Accounting For Financial Statements Assignment Help
Robotics Assignment Help
Taxation Assignment Help
Cost Accounting Assignment Help
Managerial Accounting Assignment Help
Business Accounting Assignment Help
Activity Based Accounting Assignment Help
Econometrics assignment Help
Manage Your Managerial Economics Assignment Help
R Studio Assignment Help
Cookery Assignment Help
Solidworks assignment Help
UML Diagram Assignment Help
Data Flow Diagram Assignment Help
Employment Law Assignment Help
Calculus Assignment Help
Arithmetic Assignment Help
Write My Assignment
Business Intelligence Assignment Help
Database Assignment Help
Fluid Mechanics Assignment Help
Web Design Assignment Help
Student Assignment Help
Online CPM Homework Help
Chemistry Assignment Help
Biology Assignment Help
Corporate Governance Law Assignment Help
Auto CAD Assignment Help
Public Relations Assignment Help
Bioinformatics Assignment Help
Engineering Assignment Help
Computer Science Assignment Help
C++ Programming Assignment Help
Aerospace Engineering Assignment Help
Agroecology Assignment Help
Finance Assignment Help
Conflict Management Assignment Help
Paleontology Assignment Help
Commercial Law Assignment Help
Criminal Law Assignment Help
Anthropology Assignment Help
Biochemistry Assignment Help
Get the best cheap assignment Help
Online Pharmacology Course Help
Urgent Assignment Help
Paying For Assignment Help
HND Assignment Help
Legitimate Essay Writing Help
Best Online Proofreading Services
Need Help With Your Academic Assignment
120 Research Paper Topics For History
The study of history is an intriguing and fascinating subject until you need to go through the myriad of literature available for research papers. The fact that one needs to read a large number of books is the reason that many pupils find writing their research papers difficult. The most difficult part is when you must select the topics for your research papers on your own. Given the vastness of history and the many topics to consider, selecting the most appropriate topic can be difficult.
But, even though writing a research paper on history isn't easy, you should view the difficulty as a positive thing. Knowing how to write a history paper is a skill you'll be able to use in the classroom and beyond the school. You might be wondering how writing a paper on history can benefit you in different areas aside from academics. If you compose a historical paper, you acquire important skills like research and critical thinking that will be useful later.
Selecting the right topics for your history research paper is similar to creating a high-quality essay. It is often necessary to do many hours of research and thinking to figure out which topics are the most suitable for you. If you have a research paper to complete but aren't certain of a subject, we've got some ideas to aid you. In the meantime, if you're still struggling to find inspiration isn't happening, we've provided some ideas to write your essay.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPIC?
Selecting topics for history research papers for college students is a difficult task, especially with the deadline is tight. There is a myriad of topics to discuss for a history essay; however, not every subject is the right one for you. So, what is an excellent history topic, and how can you tell that you're researching the right thing?
This is a crucial question since what you consider to be good research may be totally distinct from the way your professor thinks is one. Many students begin research writing without knowing the criteria that define quality. A research paper about history is considered to be of high quality when:
- It's not packed with too many details; it's short and concise but also clear, not revealing too much about the content.
- It's specific and not generic. This allows you to give a thorough and complete essay. If you select an essay that is generic, you'll be unable to give enough information about every aspect. Additionally, you'll have the ability to steer clear of vague arguments, and your essay will be focused on specific events and issues.
- It is selected after having read the previous papers and literature that contain sources and facts to support the facts.
- The topic's importance has been considered, and what and how you've considered before making a decision. You know the significance of the topic and how it relates to the period that is being debated and the relevance to today. In addition, you've thought about the context of the report and why the subject was important to the people of the time.
HOW TO SELECT A GOOD TOPIC FOR A HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER IN EASY STEPS
The steps involved in selecting the most appropriate history research paper topics are easy, but they are also technically challenging. Each step is crucial as it determines the degree of difficulty that you'll encounter when you move on to the next. If you are writing a historical essay, first, you must do research. You will only be able to find a suitable topic after conducting thorough research. After you've selected the subject, you'll need to research further on the topic, making sure that you are focused on the subject.
Suppose you'd like your work to be noticed, not choose the common and straightforward subjects. Also, pick a basic historical topic, not one in which you aren't able to provide a worthy presentation. Know the concept that "simple" doesn't mean "easy;" it's meant to be distinct, inspiring, and affluent. It can be a long process, but you can pick a subject and begin the writing process by following these steps.
You'll need to think over at least twenty historical research topics in order for a suitable subject. Keep them in a place where they are easily accessible in the future; you can revisit them to select the most intriguing. You could also look through your lecture notes on history or assignments as well as textbooks.
It is also possible to communicate with your professors and colleagues to brainstorm ideas for a good historical research subject. For instance, if there are textbooks covering the area, you can read the authors and decide if they are experts in the area.
Conduct extensive research on the topics you have chosen to gather sufficient data to prove the essential facts. Make sure you read as numerous research papers and journals that are related to the topic as you can. The more papers you read, the better you'll be able to comprehend the subject and likely be able to avoid plagiarism.
The high quality of each task is always found in the research phase since that's the point where you'll get all the required information needed for a successful job. In this stage, you'll sort through the subject areas you've selected to eliminate those that don't have enough knowledge go.
While you are researching your subject, note the most important aspects and outline your primary and secondary ideas. Also, you'll need to develop your own keyword list that you'll use in your research paper. A list of keywords helps you remain focused on the subject you are examining as well as the topics of your concern. Also, making an outline will help to organize your thoughts and ideas, which makes the writing process much easy. If you've got your outline in place, you are able to connect words, sentences, chapters, paragraphs, and concepts to each other. This way, you'll create a work of research that flows, making it easier for the reader to understand.
While researching topics that concern you, it's best to be flexible. You should anticipate that you'll need to switch topics several times. If, for instance, you discover that there are not enough facts to support an issue, then be prepared to switch it out for another. Be sure your sources are reliable. You could give your instructor a review to ensure.
TOP-RATED TOPICS FOR A HISTORY PAPER
As promised, here's the list of the top subjects for a research paper that you could write. We divided the topics into specific categories and made the process easy for you to choose. From US historical topics to contemporary world history, choose the most relevant topics for most of your paper.
AMERICAN HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- The roots of the Civil War within the United States of America
- Which role did women have throughout women's roles during American Revolution?
- The American Revolution: what are the implications for the rest of the world?
- Resistance to Assimilation by Native Americans: true or true or
- Who made money in the Stock Market Crash that occurred in 1929?
- What could Michael Collins contribute to space exploration?
- Do The United States benefit from the Bracero Program: how?
- What do you think Brigham Young contribute to the growth of the West?
- The Missouri Compromise What are the causes and effects?
- Black Panthers: what is the core belief behind them?
- Which role did women fill in their time during the Great Depression?
COLLEGE STUDENTS' US HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- The Red Scare: the causes and the consequences
- Understanding the motives for the reasons Boston Tea Party
- How much contribution(s) Did Frederic Douglass make to abolishing slavery?
- It was the Battle of Bunker Hill: What was the outcome?
- The level of literacy was high in the Puritan times
- The role played by the railroads' development during the US Industrial Evolution
- The Loyalists What did they stand up for?
- The Great Awakening: establishing its causes and consequences
- The major factors that contributed to important causes for the United States economic recession in the 1780s.
- The primary reasons why the presidential reconstruction failed were the main reasons.
- Knowing who lived and worked in the US in the 17th century.
20TH CENTURY INTERESTING HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- The fire and earthquake that took place in San Francisco in 1906
- What caused the Great Depression in the 1920s
- John F. Kennedy Assassination in 1963: the details and implications
- What was the reason Iraq attacked the United States after 9/11
- The discovery of oil within Persia around 1908: What happened next?
- The military contributions made by women during World War II
- The concept of fast food in the early 1900s.
- Women of the 20th century vs. women today
- The origins of the prohibition era in the US and its causes, reasons, and consequences
- The rise of imperialism in the 19th and early 20th centuries was it justifiable?
- Martin King's speeches
WORLD HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- How did sports aid in promoting the equality of African Americans in the 20th century
- Before 1900: what did gender roles mean within the Sioux tribe? Sioux tribe?
- The impacts that industrialization has had on American social movements: a critical examination
- Britain and Spain's Battle of the Sea
- Social relations throughout medieval Europe and even today
- Children are affected by Apartheid across South Africa: who suffered more, white or black?
- Wedding ceremonies are held in Ancient Rome vs. modern-day Rome
- The Mexican-US war: a pivotal time for American as well as Mexican relations?
- Factors that have contributed to the Thirty Years' War.
- Have weapons used in ancient civilizations is it ever been this way?
- Christopher Columbus's contribution to colonizing South America in 1494
ART HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- Greek theater: back then vs. today
- The Petrarchan madrigals of the sixteenth century A comprehensive analysis
- What effects did expressionists have on the art of today?
- The power in the movement of feminists' contemporary art
- The development of Paris became a center of artistic expression in the 20th century. factors
- Printmaking techniques that are utilized in the world's history
- Prints by Goya and French caricatures of the 18th century, what's the relationship?
- The rise and development of Cubism in the 20th century's early years A discussion
- What did the ideas of Jay Hambidge have influenced the development of art?
- Frank Stella: the contemporary artist and writer
- Art history, religion, and history
MUSIC HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS FOR A GREAT PAPER
- Country music: looking at its history and its major features
- The perception of art as a commodity for the entertainment industry pros and pros and
- Rational and irrational branches of the 20th century
- Folk and pop What are the ties between them?
- Technology's influence on the sounds from the 20th century.
- Music as a method for expression. The performer's ability to communicate
- The rock music genre: its aspects and styles
- Popular songs What are their main characteristics, and what message do they convey?
- Radio's role in pop songs
- What was the development of melody Between World War I and World War II?
- Psychedelic rock: what drugs aid in its creation?
ANCIENT HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- The ancient Egyptians believe in immortality as well as death. A pause in the course of life, but not the end of it?
- Interesting history of Palestine: between both the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea
- The Trojan horse: is it real?
- The influence of prophets and other religious leaders on our perception of the world's spiritual
- The cultural background of Sumerians had an intricate connection with God.
- The Iron Age: how did it alter the world?
- The woman's role in prehistoric Britain
- The British Empire and Power: an in-depth analysis
- The numerous symbols found in ancient Egypt
- The Great Wall of China: what was the reason for its construction?
- Postmodernism the past
EASY HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- Thanksgiving's origins: the reason Pilgrims first began to celebrate this holiday in the beginning
- Examining Britain's rivalry with Spain
- The aversion of England to poverty and the problem of poverty
- Joint-stock companies' rise and the people who profit from them?
- The function of joint-stock companies in the early stages of settlement attempts
- Jamestown and Plymouth settlements Religion and the government
- The African-American culture of the past and today
- The long-term (or immediate) impact that was a result of the American Revolution on society
- 1783 Royal Proclamation and its effects
- Nationalists in westward expansion: Americans' justification of their faith in Manifest Destiny
- The economic crisis that developed during the process of writing the Constitution
MODERN WORLD HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings Was it needed?
- What are the policies of the United States policies towards immigrants in the 21st century?
- Immigration laws in the 20th century, compared to 20th-century laws: have they become more relaxed?
- The Great American West Adjustment
- The effect on the railroad underground the civil war
- The impact on society and the Negro Leagues on baseball and society
- The Battle of Chancellorsville The battle of Chancellorsville: an examination of its historical context
- The Mormons' problems How did they conquer these challenges?
- What role does religion play in the westward expansion?
- The roles African-American women play in literature and art
- LGBTQ rights movements, as well as the intersection of the civil rights movement
EUROPEAN HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- Britain's Royal Family
- The history of economics in Europe
- Islam in Europe
- European political life in the 18th century
- Italy, Germany, and Spain's Fascist propaganda during the 20th century
- Stalin is a powerful participant and head in Stalin: a powerful member of the Bolshevic group RSDP (Russian Social Democratic Party)
- Hunts and gender prejudice in early modern Europe
- Eastern Powers: their rise
- Muslim involvement in European political life
- The Seven Years' War
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY RESEARCH PAPER TOPICS
- Black Popular music style
- expressing race, culture, and identity through music
- The African American Society: folktales legends, myths, and legends
- Black intellectuals around the world
- The women of the black community in the 19th century.
- Preferences based on race
- The story of the church of Christ in America
- The revival of racial liberalism and black power
- Black schooling and learning evolution within a community
- Black aesthetics and cognition throughout the world
- The way black music interprets historical
WORLD WAR II HISTORY TOPICS TO RESEARCH ON
- The influence of the journal of Anne Frank
- The Holocaust is the shaming of millions of people based on their religious and political beliefs
- The impact of World War II on Africa
- The Neutrality Acts from the 1930s: the US's neutrality during WWII
- The effects of World War II on African Americans
- The Japanese-American Internment and the impact it had on the result during the Second World War
- Poland Invasion: what triggered World War II?
- How did World War II impact ordinary people?
- The most heroic actions of female celebrities during the Second World War
- What were the roles that black women took on within the military in WWII?
- World War II and the Rights of African Americans
We've provided you with at least 120 topics in the field of history for your research papers, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, more where they originate. The issue isn't a lack of topics to discuss but which topic to discuss. By using the advice we've shared within this post, you'll be able to pick a fantastic research paper on history. You can also make use of any of the subjects given if you're unsure of what you should write about.
Frequently asked questions
What are good topics to research history about , what is the best topic for research in 2022 .
Research paper topics for education
- How can the use of standardized assessments advance learning?
- Do those with a college degree earn more money?
- Should college be less expensive?
- How will advances in technology affect how we educate in the future?
- the development of specific teaching techniques for blind youngsters.
- social media and academics.
What is a research topic ?
The research issue you will address in your work is known as a research topic. Finding a worthwhile study topic might be challenging at the beginning. However, we will give you beneficial resources that can aid you on the journey.
How can I choose my research topic ?
Here are a few advice:
- Pick a subject that interests you.
- Limit your discussion to a manageable issue.
- Review the instructions for choosing a topic for your assignment.
- To brush up on the material covered in class and the work, consult the lecture notes and needed materials.
- Discuss potential study topics with a buddy.
What is a research topic examples ?
Abortion, birth control, child abuse, gun regulation, history, climate change, social media, AI, global warming, health, science, and technology are a few examples of popular research paper subjects.
What are research ideas ?
The research concept serves as the researcher's or aspiring researcher's first introduction to the prospect of developing the project's first stages.
What are some good historical topics ?
- a Civil War.
- the Cold War
- a severe depression
- Science and inventions.
- American War with Mexico.
- Environment & Natural Disasters.
What are some examples of historical research ?
Diaries, notebooks, lectures, interviews, letters, memoranda, pictures, films, public opinion surveys, and government documents are just a few examples of primary sources.
What are the 10 parts common research paper ?
What are 5 good research questions .
The Best Research Has These Five Questions
- What issue has to be resolved?
- Who is affected by this issue and why?
- How did others act?
- What is your approach to the issue?
- How can you prove that your proposed remedy is sound?
Top 10 Best Universities Ranking list in India 2022
Generic Conventions: Assignment Help Services
Research Paper Topics For Medical
Research Paper Ideas For 2023
Top 5 Resources for Writing Excellent Academic Assignments
How to Write a Literature Review for Academic Purposes
Tips for Writing a killer introduction to your assignment
How To Write A Compelling Conclusion For Your University Assignment
Research Papers Topics For Physics
Research Papers Topics For Social Science
75+ Interesting History Research Paper Topics
Some people say that history is boring, and a lot find it completely obsolete. However, what most people aren’t aware of is the very fact that history teaches us not to repeat the same mistakes and it teaches us how to be noble and appreciate more the time we live in. Students are becoming keener on history, so they decide to come up with history research paper topics with thorough research of historical events to write about. However, if you are unable to come up with the most appropriate topic, we are here to present you with a list of very intriguing topics to focus on.
How to choose a topic for a research paper?
Not being able to make the right decision on what topic to dedicate your time to is more than understandable since history is the subject that gives you a vast choice. Therefore, a lot of students find themselves lost on how to choose a research topic when there are so many interesting history research paper topics.
The best way to choose a good topic would be to focus on historical figures that you admire or that you think that marked one period in history so much that they changed the present time as well. You don’t have to rely on writing about wars as you can write about festivals, games, and free time activities in certain past ages as well as mythology, mystery, and religion. Life in middle ages can be an interesting subject, for example.
However, students who struggle with their writing skills can always buy a research paper online from reliable writing services that will teach them the art of writing on good history research paper topics. On the other hand, those who would like to try to write the papers themselves can get a research paper written for you as well by working with a person who is an expert in that field.
What’s more, when choosing the topic, make sure there are enough study materials because it’s important that you have resources you can lean on in case you ran out of ideas. Then again, you should, of course, avoid plagiarism since this might severely harm your academic reputation. Therefore, if you are not sure how to provide the right citation and references, don’t hesitate to get help from people who can do it with their eyes closed. You can buy research paper outline from professional writers if you are unsure about your writing skills. It will help you improve your academic performance too.
Controversial topic in history for research paper
Finding a subject that is going to spark other people’s interest and encourage them to read your writing assignment is not easy, but luckily, there are a variety of controversial research topics as well as debatable topics for research paper that can encourage other students to share their opinions on the subject. Here are just a few to help you start:
- Why has nationalism failed to become a primary source of identity in the Arab States, but it has everywhere else?
- How were women treated in the Soviet occupied zone during World War Two?
- What happened in Germany after the fall of Hitler and the Nazis?
- Did the Holocaust experiments achieve anything scientifically other than pointless cruelty?
- Why was communism perceived as a bad system historically?
- Was the Spanish Inquisition morally justified?
- What sort of presence did the papal inquisitions of the 12-14th centuries have in England?
- Why is Niccolo Machiavelli considered the founder of political science?
- What’s the story behind the assassination of John F. Kennedy?
- Were the forms of state institutions a contributing factor to the Great Divergence?
- How free was the British press during the 19 th century?
- Was the Six Days War a preemptive strike or an act of aggression?
- Who was Abu Hamid al-Ghazali and were his ideas good for the Islamic world?
- Did the Native Americans resist assimilation?
- Did the United States use atomic bombs on Japan to end the war or to prevent the Soviet Union from amassing influence in Asia?
- What led to the great immigration wave from Syria?
- Why is the fall of Constantinople in 1453 considered to be one of the saddest moment in the history of humankind?
Topics about all the ages
History covers so many ages and so many times, and that’s what gives you the necessary variety in order to write a good research paper.
Ancient history research paper topics
When you think about history, a lot of people focus on the two world wars without even taking into consideration the ancient history such as Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece or Egypt that provide so many interesting ancient history topics for research paper. However, not only Rome and Greece were interesting since you have many other populations who lived in ancient times but whose history is less known.
- What was mannerism like in ancient times, and how did people behave towards each other?
- How was winter warfare conducted during ancient history (5000BC to 500AD)?
- Were there protests and demonstrations in ancient times?
- What are the greatest infantry battles of ancient history?
- Who had the strongest military in ancient history?
- Did anyone ever object to the Gladiatorial Games in Ancient Rome on moral grounds?
- How were slaves treated in Ancient Rome and why they didn’t unite in groups to demand more rights?
- Was it a pure coincidence that democracy emerged in Ancient Greece and what led to it in general?
- What is the story of Theagenes of Thasos who was the strongest fighter in Ancient Greece?
- Why was Ancient Rome more influential that Ancient Greece?
- How did police work in Ancient Rome?
- What are some similarities and differences between Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece?
- What was the life of civilians like in Ancient Rome?
- How did philosophy become so popular in Ancient Greece?
- Who was Alexander the Great, and why is he considered to be one of the greatest leaders in history?
- Which people from Ancient Rome are worth admiration and why?
- Which people from Ancient Greece are worth admiration and why?
- What was the role of gods in Ancient Greece?
- How was ancient Egypt different from Ancient Greece and Rome?
- How did voting work in Ancient Greece?
Middle Ages research topics
Medieval history, Middle Ages, renaissance represent a historical period of change, development but also of wars and new laws which leaves you with a lot of Middle Age topics. There are many stories about medieval history and renaissance, for example, which could be explored to a much greater extent.
- How did mixed-religion marriages work in the Middle Ages?
- How common was excommunication in the High Middle Ages, and how were these people treated?
- How did humans cope with poor eyesight in the Middle Ages?
- What crimes were common in medieval history?
- Who was King Richard III?
- Why were the Middle Ages considered to be the Age of Discovery?
- What differences in architecture existed between Early and Late Middle Ages?
- What led to the Byzantine revival?
- What was life like for the intellectuals of the Middle Ages?
- What was life like in Venice in the time of the Renaissance?
- How were North European High Middle Ages different from Italian renaissance?
- What events that happened in medieval times changed history?
- Did the Crusades set the stage for the greater stability of the High Middle Ages?
- What was the life of an average person like in the Middle Ages in Europe?
- Was there much interest in the Qu’ran in medieval Europe?
- What discoveries were made in medieval Europe?
- Who was Nicholas of Cusa?
- Why 1492 a significant year?
- How was a renaissance in Russia different from the one in the western countries?
- How were cities developed in Medieval Europe?
Modern world history topics
Modern day history has been marked with plenty of negative events since there were two world wars, flu pandemic, decolonization but also the birth of the digital revolution which can be an endless resource of ideas for 20 th -century topics so take a look at the ones below.
- What made nationalism a major issue in the 20 th century?
- Why was the Eastern front different from the Western front during World War I?
- How did the US military transition from the Civil War in 1865 to World War I in 1914?
- Why were cubism and surrealism so popular in the 20 th century?
- What was the status/role of women in the USSR through the 20th century?
- Why didn’t any western countries intervene in Communist China in the mid-20th century?
- What was the role of Italy in WWII?
- Why did the Great Depression start in the United States?
- What were international relations like between the two World Wars?
- What happened between the two World Wars in countries that participated in World War One?
- What was Vichy France in WWII and what ideology it presented?
- What goods were mass-produced in the 20 th century?
- What inventions marked the 20 th century?
- Who were the most important leaders in WWII?
- Why are the 1920s called the Roaring Twenties?
- How did the world recover after World War II?
- What led to the Spanish Civil War in 1936?
- What happened to the British Empire after World War One?
- To what extent did mainstream Russian society adopt Soviet ideals?
- What was art and music like in the 20 th century?
- What events marked the 20 th century in Australia?
- Were there any states that could be called “totalitarian” that existed before the 20th century?
- What were the greatest presidential speeches in the 20 th century?
- What caused so many empires to die out in the 20 th century?
- What were the most significant inventions and technological advances in the 20 th century?
World history research paper topics
If you would like to write a topic on world history but you cannot decide whether you find European, Asian, African or even history of Middle East interesting, you can rely on the following subjects that might help you narrow down your choice, or you can simply borrow one of ours.
European history research paper topics
As a continent, Europe, in general, was blessed with a very rich history that wasn’t always quite bright or positive if we take into account the wars and Inquisition, the Crusades and so many other events that made the continent as it is now. However, thanks to all those events, there are many interesting European history topics that you can explore.
- What led to Yugoslav wars in Eastern Europe?
- Why has Western Europe always been more developed than the East?
- What significant battles occurred in Central Europe?
- How was the English so ready to switch to the Church of England?
- Who were the cruelest rulers of France?
- What led to the French Revolution?
- Did any other country besides Russia use women soldiers during World War Two?
- Why was the Battle of Dunkirk of great importance in WWII?
- What really triggered World War One?
- What was Hitler’s reasoning in attacking the Soviets during WWII?
- When did England and France shift from being enemies to being allies?
- Was the Holocaust the worst crime that occurred in Europe?
- What nation has had the most influential culture in Europe throughout history?
- What led to the rise of Gothic architecture?
- What was it like to live under Josip Broz Tito?
- What were the differences between feudalism in Western Europe and Eastern Europe?
- What led to the fall of great Yugoslavia?
- How did the Balkan wars reshape the map of Europe?
- Historically, what were some common stereotypes of Eastern Orthodox Christians in Europe?
- What was life like in Asian Soviet countries?
- Who was Gavrilo Princip?
- How did the Industrial Revolution change European countries?
- What led to the fall of the Berlin Wall and what came afterward?
- What was the Iberian Peninsula’s role in the World Wars?
- Why is Dutch colonization less known than the British or the French one?
- What factors contributed to the mass degradation of women in France during the aftermath of WWII?
- Why did Poland surrender so quickly in World War II?
- Why was Operation Barbarossa planned for when it was?
- Historically, what relations do the state of Germany and the church have?
- What was the Vikings influence on Normandy?
US history research paper topics
The United States of America is a very young country compared to the whole continents like Europe and Asia, but that doesn’t mean that there are no interesting US history topics to choose from. Therefore, make sure you read those below and get some idea on what you might want to write about.
- What is the story behind the civil war in the US?
- Why the US used two atomic bombs instead of just one in 1945?
- What were the most intriguing events in the time of colonization?
- How did the US fight for independence?
- How was America founded?
- Who were the first inhabitants of the USA?
- What culture and history did the Native Americans cherish before the arrival of Europeans?
- How were slaves treated in the USA?
- What led to the abolishment of slavery?
- What was the life of African-Americans like in the 19 th century in the USA?
- How was the first Constitution written?
- What were the highlights of the Jeffersonian Republican Era?
- What is the story behind the Cold War?
- How did the US deal with the 9/11?
- What came after 9/11 in the modern history of the USA?
- Why was the attack on Pearl Harbor so significant historically? Why exactly did the Japanese attack the USA?
- How have taxes been introduced throughout the USA history?
- Why did the leaders of the American Revolution fail to establish equality for everyone?
- Who were the people behind the scene in the American Revolution?
- What traditions are related to Independence Day?
Research paper topics on Africa
As a continent, Africa is very rarely mentioned in the news so many people don’t really talk a lot about African culture and history through African countries also went through a lot of difficult situations with wars and crimes within the tribes. If you don’t want to write about Europe and the USA, then you should give Africa a chance since there are many interesting topics on Africa related to tribal lives as well as the development of the continent in general. In the list below, you can find some of the most intriguing topics about Africa.
- Why was South Africa determined to maintain apartheid?
- What happened in the Rwandan genocide?
- What was Africa like in the 1600s, was it similar to Europe and Asia?
- What are, historically speaking, the poorest countries in Africa and what led to the poverty of those countries?
- What are, historically speaking, the wealthiest countries in Africa and what lead to the wealth of those countries?
- Why did North Africa go from one of the wealthiest regions in the time of the Roman Empire to a regional backwater?
- What are some post-colonial troubles people in Africa had to face?
- Why did the Dutch move into South Africa?
- What is the story about Africa Campaign during World War II?
- What religions have been practiced in Africa?
- What makes the Democratic Republic of Congo different from its neighboring countries?
- What are some facts related to Ancient Africa?
- What were the most powerful empires from the 6 th to the 18 th century?
- What leads to the decolonization of Africa?
- What was the role of Africa in World War I?
- Why did it take until the 19th century for European powers to start colonizing Sub-Saharan Africa?
- Who was Idi Amin?
- What African leader did the most for his or her nation in modern history?
- What caused the Sudanese Civil War?
- What were the consequences of German Warfare in Africa in 1884?
- How were petroleum and oil discovered in Ethiopia?
- Who were famous authors coming from Africa?
Middle East research paper topics
The Middle East is considered to be the cradle of civilization. Therefore, you can be sure that there are some amazing research papers already written about this area of our beautiful planet. However, throughout the history, the Middle East was the center of trading, knowledge, and art so you can check the following Middle East research topics in order to find some of your likings.
- Was Genghis Khan’s decimation in the Middle East what led to dark ages for Islam?
- What are some less known facts about the Byzantine Empire?
- Who were the most powerful pharaohs of Egypt?
- What made the first great civilization of mankind, the Sumerians?
- Who was Sargon the Great?
- What empires spread over Mesopotamia?
- What are some significant events that happened in Pre-Islam Middle East?
- How did the Ottoman Empire spread to the Middle East?
- What came after the discovery of oil in Persia in 1908?
- Which countries in the Middle East have been economically powerful throughout history?
- What was feudalism like in the Middle East?
- What led to the creation of the United Arab Emirates?
- What were the reasons for British imperial expansion in the Middle East?
- Were the Crusades supported by Christians in the Middle East?
- What did the western world think of the Middle East in the 1800s and early 1900s?
- In what ways were Roman and Byzantine cultures adapted to and incorporated in the Middle East?
- What significant events changed the Middle East in modern history?
These were 75 history research paper topics for you. We hope they help you in your research writing assignments. But if you need help, you can always hire an expert online. Many companies are offering cheap research papers for sale . You can take advantage of these services to do well in your papers.
You May Also Be Interested In
Why are students often so concerned about citation styles? The main problem is the wide…
When you enroll in university, you are maybe not even aware of the number of…
Different types of essays have different objectives, speaking about persuasive essays, they teach you to…
Before getting to the details, let’s know what a citation is. A citation mentions (usually published and derived from…
Always Ready to Help
Running out of time.
Type to search
History Research Paper Topics
How to Select the Best History Research Paper Topics?
To choose the best topic for a history research paper, you need to adhere to the following points:
- Substantiation of the relevance of the topic, its historical and methodological status. The history research paper topic should contain a clear statement of the purpose and objectives of the study.
- The plan of the history research paper should comply with the goals and objectives of the topic.
- The theoretical level of topic analysis. The depth of a history research paper’s methodological understanding should be considered too.
- The topic of a history paper should contain the research component in analyzing the considered problems.
- Don’t forget about the availability of qualitative parameters of the literary sources used when writing the history research paper. Sources should be in full compliance with the stated topic.
We have created a list of research paper topics about history to make it easier for students.
List of History Research Paper Topics – 30 Ideas
- The Great Migration of Nations and its influence on the formation of nations in Europe.
- The place of the Slavs among the Indo-Europeans.
- Hypotheses and concepts of the creation of Kyivan Rus.
- Christianization of Norway. Viking Age transformation?
- French lands and principalities in the 12th century. Models of the political system.
- Poland in the 13th century: the influence of civilizational flows from East and West.
- The role of the church in US state-building.
- The establishment of an absolute monarchy in France and its sacralization in the public mind.
- XVI century: despotism in the context of European development.
- The beginning of evolution. The first republics in Europe.
- Was the church schism the beginning of destructive processes in the development of society in the 7th century?
- Discussion about the prerequisites for the transformation of the social system and the nature of modernization in Italy in the 17th century.
- The era of palace coups. Attempts to change the state system?
- Bismarck’s conservative modernization.
- The era of Napoleon’s great reforms and unused opportunities.
- Autocracy and class system in the conditions of modernization processes.
- Europe in the military and political cataclysms of 1917.
- Formation of the USSR: controversy about the principles of the national-state construction.
- Discussions about ways and methods of nuclear disarmament.
- Beginning of the Cold War in Europe.
- The collapse of the USSR was the liberation of peoples from the prison of socialism.
- Which model of capitalism is most suitable for the US?
- Culture of Great Britain in the conditions of radical social transformations.
- History as a science. Essence, forms, functions of historical knowledge.
- Methodological foundations of historical science.
- Methods and sources of the study of history.
- USSR on the eve and at the beginning of the Second World War.
- The main stages of the formation of the statehood of France.
- The role of Gaius Julius Caesar in the politics of Rome.
- Did Ramses II win or lose at the Battle of Kadesh?
20 Interesting History Research Paper Topics
- Adoption of Christianity in the territory of medieval Denmark.
- The evolution of Polish statehood in the XI-XII centuries. The formation of the system of power.
- Socio-political changes in the Lithuanian lands in the XIII-XV centuries. Teutonic Order and Golden Horde.
- Formation and rise of the Commonwealth.
- French state in the 16th century
- The formation of industrial society in Great Britain in the 18th century. Features of the social structure.
- The foreign policy of France in the first half of the XIX century.
- Social movements in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the first half of the 19th century.
- Social thought and features of the social movement in the USA in the second half of the 19th century.
- Political life in France in the 20-30s of the XX century.
- Germany’s economic, political, and social development at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Political parties in Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. Their genesis, classification, programs, tactics.
- Revolution of 1917. Causes, character, features. The main socio-economic and political consequences of the revolution.
- Austro-Hungarian Empire during the First World War. Systemic crisis.
- Revolution in the Czech Republic in 1968. Causes, character, meaning.
- October Revolution of 1989 in Romania. End of Soviet power. Escape of Ceausescu.
- German Empire in 1917-1920. The First World War and its aftermath.
- Attempts to implement political and economic reforms in Germany in the 50-60s of the XX century.
- The foreign colonial policy of Germany in the 19th century.
- Socio-economic development of Germany in the 30s of the XX century. The rise of the Nazis to power.
20 Good History Research Paper Topics
- The unification of Germany in the 19th century. Main events and consequences.
- Unification of Italy in the 19th century. Main events and consequences.
- American Civil War. Causes, course of events, and results.
- Meiji Revolution in Japan. Causes, course of events, and results.
- French Revolution of the 18th-century Causes and results.
- Terror of the French Revolution in the 18th century.
- The cultural heritage of Byzantium.
- The daily life of Western Europeans in the Middle Ages.
- Crusades and their results.
- Varangians in the history of ancient Russia.
- Gods and myths of ancient Egypt.
- The structure and life of ancient Athens.
- Ancient Sparta: state and traditions.
- Gods of Ancient Greece.
- The origin of Buddhism and its basic principles.
- The origin of Islam and its basic principles.
- Formation of the state of Kyivan Rus. Norman theory.
- The empire of Genghis Khan and the invasion of the Mongol-Tatars.
- Northern War (1700-1721). Causes, course of events, historical significance.
- Napoleonic Wars. The course of events and results.
20 History Research Paper Ideas
- The foreign policy of Kyivan Rus in the XII century.
- The main political centers of fragmented medieval Germany and features of their development.
- English culture of the first half of the 19th century and its contribution to world culture.
- US participation in the First World War.
- 1918 in world history.
- Politics of the Iron Curtain of the USSR. Ideology and practice.
- Civil War in England. Causes, forms, scales.
- Great Britain in international relations on the eve of World War II
- 30-Years War in the history of Europe.
- Reformation of Napoleon. Achievements, miscalculations, results.
- War of Independence and the creation of the States. Concept development and practice.
- State structure of modern Japan.
- The collapse of the USSR and the formation of the CIS.
- US gold rushes.
- The development of science and technology in the United States in the first half of the XIX century.
- The participation of Soviet troops in the war in Afghanistan. Reasons and results.
- China in the 1990s.
- Creation of the Japanese Empire. Causes and main stages of development.
- National heroes of Medieval Japan.
15 Us History Research Paper Topics
- US foreign policy in the 1970s and 1980s.
- American Civil War. A tragedy for the people.
- The development of American military equipment during the Second World War
- American industry during the Second World War.
- “Cold War”. Origins, trends, and contradictions.
- A breakthrough into space is a new era in the development of science and technology.
- Foreign policy doctrine of the USA and international relations in 1920-1930.
- Socio-economic development of the United States at the beginning of the 20th century.
- US foreign policy in the second half of the 19th century.
- Socio-political movements in the USA in the XIX-XX centuries.
- Historiography’s past and present. Eminent Historians of the United States.
- Heroes and Antagonists of World War II.
- The USA in the 1960s and 1980s. Its economy, politics, and social life
- International relations after the Second World War. Formation of a bipolar world. Cold War.
15 Art History Research Paper Topics
- Kyivan Rus. Temple architecture. Fresco art. Iconography.
- Common features of the artistic culture of Ancient America and the traditional cultures of the Old World.
- Ancient Mexican architecture (pyramids, platforms, monumental stairs).
- Mayan. “Temple of the Sun” in Palenque, its resemblance to the pyramids and ziggurats of ancient Eastern civilizations.
- Culture of Ancient Greece. The system of mythological images.
- Eclecticism in Roman culture.
- Italian Renaissance architecture.
- Features of the art of the Northern Renaissance.
- Comparative characteristics of Baroque and Hellenism.
- Architectural and artistic merits of the palace and park ensemble of Versailles.
- Aesthetics of the Baroque in the works of Rembrandt.
- The main features of architecture and sculpture of classicism.
- Empire-style architecture.
- Realism in the European painting of the second half of the 19th century.
- Theories of the origin of art.
15 World History Research Paper Topics
- History of Japan in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Japanese policy after World War II.
- US-China Relations in the 1940s–1950s.
- Contemporary US-China Relations.
- Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Reasons for its imprisonment and consequences.
- Soviet-Finnish war. Causes, course of events, significance.
- Tehran, Crimean and Potsdam conferences: the post-war structure of Europe.
- Korean War. The course of events and results.
- Competition between capitalist and socialist systems. Results.
- The lifestyle of people in the late stone age.
- City and townspeople of the Middle Ages.
- Spanish Reconquista. The course of events and consequences.
- Exploration of America. Nature of Spanish colonization.
- Heroes of the Great geographical discoveries (Columbus, Magellan, etc.).
- English Revolution in the 17th century. Its persons and events.
15 European History Research Paper Topics
- Perestroika in the USSR and its main results.
- Formation of a new statehood. Socio-political and economic modernization of the Warsaw Pact countries.
- Features of international relations in the new geopolitical conditions of the XXI century.
- Creation of Kyivan Rus. First princes.
- Activities of the first kings of France.
- Feudal fragmentation of Germany.
- Baptism of Europe by Charlemagne. Causes, stages, and consequences.
- The era of palace coups (XVIII century).
- The most famous English commanders of the 18th-19th centuries.
- The fate of reforms and reformers in France.
- Socio-political thought in France in the 18th century.
- Socio-political thought in Germany in the second half of the 19th century.
- The formation of Nazi Germany. Background and principles.
- Industrialization. English model of industrial modernization.
- Totalitarianism and the formation of a command-administrative system in the USSR.
- USSR on the eve of World War II. Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and its consequences.
- Anti-Hitler coalition during the Second World War.
- Socio-political life of Germany after the First World War.
- Attempts to reform the political system in France after Napoleon I.
- French foreign policy during the reign of Napoleon III.
Do I Need to Use Writing Services?
Do you know science, the textbooks that have been constantly rewritten every 20 years? Of course, you know – this is history! The most controversial subject is interesting to study only for true fans. For most students, it is much easier to order a paper on history than to figure out who was right in the endless revolutions in Europe and whether one or another reformation of the church was necessary.
If you don’t worry about ordering a research paper on history, you should prepare for sleepless nights and careful study of various sources. Are you ready for this?
Need Writing Help?
Who is best versed in centuries-old contradictions and can objectively tell about reforms, revolutions, and wars? Who knows the kindred interweaving of crowned families? For whom is it not difficult to track cause and effect relationships on a global scale?
All this is not difficult for people for whom history has become a profession. They can make a competent analysis of information and write an excellent research paper on history to please any teacher. And you can get such a paper right now with 15% off!
After ordering, with peace of mind, hand over a research paper on history for verification and wait for positive feedback from the teacher. If suddenly your teacher’s opinion does not coincide with the theoretical calculations of our paper writer expert, do not worry. Revisions on work will be made for you free of charge and in the shortest possible time!
Technology Research Paper Topics
70+ Technology Research Paper Topics Research papers are aimed at developing analytical skills in students. Writing any academic paper starts with choosing a topic. How to Select the Best Technology Research Paper Topics? To choose a good research paper topic…
Sociological Research Paper Topics
100+ Sociological Research Paper Topics: Interesting and Simple Sociology is a rather interesting subject with extensive ground for research. Therefore, students are often given various academic works for independent implementation. The topics that sociology research papers can cover are truly…
Science Research Papers Topics
100+ Science Research Papers Topics: BEST Ideas The science research paper is related to conducting experiments to expand existing and acquire new knowledge. It is needed to test scientific hypotheses, establish patterns, generalizations, and justifications. The science research paper is…